Students Fainting..................

About once a month at my school during morning assembly, a student will fall down (faint)

I am wondering if anyone else sees this happen regularly because I find it quite strange. I can only guess that it is because of the heat or maybe the student is hungry, de-hydrated or tired. I have no Idea, but I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this happen and what may cause it.

Also when this happens, the Thai teachers and other students completly ignore it and do nothing (yes they can see the incident) So I now have the impression that Thais lack "duty of care" maybe I can understand other students not doing anything to help, but I dont understand why the Thai teachers dont do anything. It is always one of us foriegn teachers that runs over and pick up the student and carrys them to the nurse. Any one else have similar experiences?

I hadn't noticed the Thai staff being that uncaring. Each class in the formation is supervised by a teacher, who cares for the sick person. I do think it is inhumane, though, to leave them out there in the sun, especially when the administration sits under a canopy and the students are in 48 degree sunlight.

I've never seen kids faint during morning assembly although they sweat like pigs. Usually there are Thai teachers/staff assigned to watch over each section.

A British friend of mine told me once that if you want to get after Thai kids simply put them in the sun! They hate it; especially the girls because it makes their skin dark. Many of us foreigners love the good old sun and will gladly soak up those rays.

Edited by Thaiboxer

I've seen this happen periodically. Where I am, it's not a big problem, but when I ask the kids it's a matter of them often just not feeling well that day, girls having their period, not eating breakfast etc. Our morning assembly isn't terribly long and only a few are in the sun (they sweat a lot).

I am guessing that if they lined up a thousand of anybody (other than soldiers), you'd probably find the same thing happening.

And yes, Steven, it's a huge waste of time and done for nationalism and some sort of socialization programming to make them "Thai"--as is done by most schools in most countries!

All the extra non-school related activities are really odd.

For instance, I went on a club motorcycle ride to a big meet out at some moo baan. There were some 200 bikes and, perhaps, 400 people there (all Thais except for me and 2 other farrangs). Lots of food and drinking, and all guys there were doing their best to look like hel_l Angels (but, of course, most are just normal family types). Needless to say, there was a heck of a lot of heavy drinking--about 8 hrs worth. Just couldn't see how this was "good influence" for the kids.

Now, the meet was held at a school and it was on a Saturday. All the poor kids had to dress up in their uniform and serve the natty crowd in the blazing heat for the whole day. I didn't see any of them having any fun. When I asked, they said the teacher told them they had to come.

Is this true?

Are students really required to do these things? Saturday activities at school, hours standing in the blazing sun? Can any of you teacher explain these mandatory non-learning activities?

Anyway, it was my first and last club ride. No sense in riding with a pack of drunken Thais. The ride was slow and dull. Though it was nice of them to invite me even though I rode a sport bike.

Oh, boy, are they required to do this stuff? Yes, yes and yes. Our school will be having a....get this... Marching Competition, which will be held on November 11th (the holiday). The students are required to come and the staff is required to come.

(It's at the stadium at the army base up near the old airport). So, if this is your cup of tea. Drop on in.

Last year, the kids were dropping like flies. They marched around and around and around. They were lined up and marching in place, meanwhile the hot late-morning sun was beating down on them. Pretty soon they started dropping. It was quite a few who fell over.

I have no idea what the purpose of this is or how or why anyone would let their kid be involved. It's not even very interesting to watch--unless you live in North Korea perhaps.

Scott...do you work for a government school? I once worked for a government high school and we had Teacher's Day (where the kids pay respect to us) and Sports Day and both of these events were held outside. However, there was no fainting and certainly no marching. The worse in terms of heat were those morning ceremonies after the National Anthem was sung and the kids had to listen to the teachers' speeches.

Oh, boy, are they required to do this stuff? Yes, yes and yes. Our school will be having a....get this... Marching Competition, which will be held on November 11th (the holiday). The students are required to come and the staff is required to come.

(It's at the stadium at the army base up near the old airport). So, if this is your cup of tea. Drop on in.

Last year, the kids were dropping like flies. They marched around and around and around. They were lined up and marching in place, meanwhile the hot late-morning sun was beating down on them. Pretty soon they started dropping. It was quite a few who fell over.

I have no idea what the purpose of this is or how or why anyone would let their kid be involved. It's not even very interesting to watch--unless you live in North Korea perhaps.

My, oh my, no wonder the kids go whacky on the weekends, racing motorbikes, fighting, getting drunk. I would too if I had to go through that as a kid.

I've seen this happen periodically. Where I am, it's not a big problem, but when I ask the kids it's a matter of them often just not feeling well that day, girls having their period, not eating breakfast etc. Our morning assembly isn't terribly long and only a few are in the sun (they sweat a lot).

I am guessing that if they lined up a thousand of anybody (other than soldiers), you'd probably find the same thing happening.

And yes, Steven, it's a huge waste of time and done for nationalism and some sort of socialization programming to make them "Thai"--as is done by most schools in most countries!

Not eating breakfast and then standing in the sun will certainly adversely affect kids & adults.

Our vocational college had an assembly every morning in the sun. 5,000 students standing in the sun for up to an hour. Sometimes seated up to 2-3 hours (still in the hot sun) if the college administrator or guest speaker was especially long-winded.

Yes, saw quite a few faint, but there were always both students and Thai faculty running to their aid. I'm up in Isaan where there seems to be a strong ethic of coming to the aid of the helpless. Would be interested to know where the OP was teaching.

I guess you work for the same chain of schools that i work for, if so, you also proably see the bull shit the kids have to do in assembly! We also have exercise during assembly on tuesday and thursday which takes up 10 mins of assembly, followed by marching!........................

We also have to attend the same marching comp on the 11th at that same stadium. However, my school is only mini-bilingual and I am now the only "farang" there and we just found out today that our school doesnt have to go (because I am the only farang there and the dirrector doesnt like Fillippinos apparently) LOL I had to laugh when I heard that. But yeah, Our assembly every morning consists of about 10 mins marching and 30 mins marching if your in the higher grades. I teach PE and am constantly in trouble for not teaching marching (to KG-1,2,3!)

Good luck on monday and hopefully you wont have to see to many kids faint on the field!

All the extra non-school related activities are really odd.

For instance, I went on a club motorcycle ride to a big meet out at some moo baan. There were some 200 bikes and, perhaps, 400 people there (all Thais except for me and 2 other farrangs)

You maths doesn't add up.

Okay 2 farangs - 1 bike, sure!

But 200 bikes and only 400 thais... you're having us on! :o

C'mon. 'fess up OP. Where are you? The Big Bad Uncaring City? :o

Okay, okay.............

Yes, I work in the big bad uncaring city.

Now lets play guess the name of the school, here are the clues:

1- This very large private Catholic chain of schools (boot camps) is suppose to have a very bad reputation.

If you need any more clues you will now have to un-scramble the name of the school- aaarsss

Edited by aussiestyle1983

Yes, ausiestyle1983, we work for the same chain. We were "supposed" to go on the 11th, but many people either didn't or went and were seen by someone and then left. I went and thought I was the only one there, but I did take a picture so I had "proof". It's one of the biggest wastes of time I know of, but I spoke with some other people (Thai adults) and they said it's not uncommon. Lots of schools have this sort of stuff.

Oh, well, it will get me ready for my big move to North Korea (just joking).

Overall, I am saddened by the administrations lack of respect for the Filipino teachers. At our school they are an extremely valuable part of the team with an excellent work ethic and very well qualified and skilled. They are not appreciated by the administration, but then most of the Thai teachers aren't either.

Best of luck to you and keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I see students fainting all the time. Most of my students come from a farming background, and when they leave school they go home and work on the farm, many have to do their chores before they go to bed and before they come to school, often without a proper meal. I found the Thai students " look after their own " and will take the sick student to the nurse. If you show compassion they do not understand it as Thai teachers can be very unfeeling !!

Yes I see students fainting all the time. Most of my students come from a farming background, and when they leave school they go home and work on the farm, many have to do their chores before they go to bed and before they come to school, often without a proper meal. I found the Thai students " look after their own " and will take the sick student to the nurse. If you show compassion they do not understand it as Thai teachers can be very unfeeling !!

Quite common with their first meal of the day being brunch.

I couldn't imagine the Thai staff at my school to be anything other than caring.

Some of the parents on the other hand...

One boy came to school with his face all ripped and bleeding. He had a bicycle accident the day before and his parent said they were too busy to take him to hospital. He spent the night not sleeping because he was in too much pain. As soon as he arrived at school the homeroom teacher took him to the nurse - who took him straight to the nearest hospital. He was very lucky that the wounds - which was 3 inch gash down the middle of his face - were not infected. A week later he is still in a lot of pain. He is 7 years old.

Every Wednesday I see students fainting. Those dang Thai style boy scout activities. They start dropping like flies after about 1 hour in the sun. Never ceases to amaze me. After the upteenth time, you would think the leaders would have bottles of water and let the kids sit.

Today my M classes canceled due to these prolonged activities. Great for me, but sad for the kids.