Lack of basic services in Thailand

Bill

It's not the products that I miss (for the most part). It's competent basic services of almost any kind. From getting a car repaired to having a home built to getting decent medical care, the odds are against you in this country based on my experience from the last few years. I know there are exceptions to this, and I cherish the few I've found, but it is for the most part a very frustrating experience. I've lived in many other countries prior to Thailand, and I have never experienced the level of incompetence I regularly experience here. I suspect it's probably related to the almost total lack of personal responsibility practiced or enforced by the majority of Thais and their government.

I'd like to see something like the eBay rating system introduced by some ad-sponsored web site (based outside of Thailand for political reasons) which allows individuals to share their experiences good and bad from various businesses around this country. I have no illusions that this will change anything, but at least it will allow those who make use of it to stand a higher chance of dealing with businesses that are run half-competently.

I think the same rule applies as in any other country in the world for these kind of services: find out people's experience with who's going to be doing the work...while it's true that there is no solid standard, if you'd just post a topic here for a reliable builder/repair shop, etc. I'm sure you'd find someone who knows someone who does a good job. The site you describe could very well be this site, God knows we all come and whine enough about any indignity with business X. :o

Also, in the medical field I think they do an overall splendid job...I haven't had bad experiences with either local clinics or large hospitals and it's quite something to be in a foreign country and have so many English-speaking doctors & such. Why do you think medical tourism is booming here?

For car repairs select those that advertise or have signs that offer Lifetime Warranty or Rapid Repair. (RR means getting your car repaired within one day, yes with lifetime warranty)

The shops that have those signs/advertising are selected by me and I can guarantee the high quality of service provided.

If you want info on where to find these places just let me know.

Alex