Australian Embassy Increase in notarial fees

Lizard2010

The Australian Embassy wishes to advise that there will be an increase in notarial fees from 1 January 2017.

The new fee structure will better align with the commercial rates charged by public notaries. Notarial fees have not increased since 1 July 2000.

From 2018 on-wards, notarial service fees will increase annually in line with the Consumer Price Index published by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Notarial fees are legislated according to the Consular Fees Act 1955 and consular staff have no discretion in applying these fees.

The new fee schedule is available on the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s website and further details and a link are available on the Australian Embassy Bangkok website:

http://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Notarial_Services.html

http://dfat.gov.au/news/media-releases/Documents/notarial-service-fees-2017.pdf

Please note that fees are payable in Thai Baht and that Australian rates are converted each month to align with current exchange rates. For information or inquiries about new fees payable, you can contact the Embassy Consular Section on: Phone - 02 344 6300 or email - [email protected]

Courtesy of the Chiang Mai Expats Club  and the Disability Support websites

notarial-service-fees-2017.pdf

To get  a new passport or a renewal passport in the U.S. embassy in Thailand now costs $110 U.S. dollars.

I beleive their official exchange rate was just set at 36 Thai baht to a dollar.

Threfore to get a replacement U.S.  passport and pay in Baht costs ($110 times 36).

But at least now you get the 52 page passport for that price

1 minute ago, vivoviajar said:

I am an Australian J.P. living in Chiang Mai and am happy to witness documents, Stat. Decs. etc.  J.P.s cannot charge for their services, it is a community service.

P.M. me if needed but I do travel a lot.

Cheers

I still hold my JP Commission from Australia  but was advised by an Australian Consular official that "legally"you cannot utilise outside of Australia

Unless it is a document that specifically requires notarising by a consular official consider using a local lawyer most of whom are a Notary Public mine carries out the service  for free but that requires a round trip of five hours to Chiang Mai unless there on other business.

The local guy charges about $AUS 38.00

14 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I still hold my JP Commission from Australia  but was advised by an Australian Consular official that "legally"you cannot utilise outside of Australia

I have contacted the Embassy in Bangkok and have had it confirmed, also have been contacted by the Honorary Consul here in Chiang Mai with referrals.   

The only time I need these services are for the annual extension of stay pension letter and it has to be done by the embassy :sad: That is a hell of an increase, from 500 baht to 1900. What was the CPI increase since 2000? 300%? Don't think so. Still I guess the bludging government has to get the deficit down somehow.

I've just emailed the embassy to express my outrage over this 300% increase and I encourage any aussies here, visiting ones also because if you have to go to the embassy here then you will be slugged also, to do the same. If you don't tell them how you feel about this, they will assume that you are happy. DON"T BE HAPPY OR COMPLACENT ABOUT THIS INCREASE PLEASE. A 300% increase is criminal. A CPI increase is justifiable but we have had at least 2 currency crashes since 2000 and the CPI and inflation rate hasn't gone up 300% in this timeframe. The embassies email address is  [email protected]

Inflation rate since yr2000 is approx 70% and CPI index has increased by approx. 40 points

8 minutes ago, johnno2 said:

I've just emailed the embassy to express my outrage over this 300% increase and I encourage any aussies here, visiting ones also because if you have to go to the embassy here then you will be slugged also, to do the same. If you don't tell them how you feel about this, they will assume that you are happy. DON"T BE HAPPY OR COMPLACENT ABOUT THIS INCREASE PLEASE. A 300% increase is criminal. A CPI increase is justifiable but we have had at least 2 currency crashes since 2000 and the CPI and inflation rate hasn't gone up 300% in this timeframe. The embassies email address is  [email protected]

Inflation rate since yr2000 is approx 70% and CPI index has increased by approx. 40 points

I'll email them as well, but we're pushing shit up hill trying to get them to give a stuff about Aussies living overseas. There's no political advantage catering to us. This government got elected citing economic doom and gloom and promising only they could fix it.

The deficit is bigger than ever, Australia is about to lose it's AAA rating and the "Treasurer" is bringing out a horror mini budget. (these increases are probably part of it). Overseas Australians are non entities in the pollies big picture of getting re-elected.

On 12/16/2016 at 10:23 AM, Clamhua said:

Is Australia the most expensive country to deal with regards to notarial fees and passport fees?

Passport fees are comparable with other countries but Notarial Fees do nor exist. You just find a Notary Public and they do it for free. They are getting harder to find so a J.P. can notarise papers etc. still no fee, and yes they are getting harder to find too. Most local courthouses have one on duty and some public libraries have also along with some chemists at your local Pharmacy. 

1 minute ago, lungnorm said:

Passport fees are comparable with other countries but Notarial Fees do nor exist. You just find a Notary Public and they do it for free. They are getting harder to find so a J.P. can notarise papers etc. still no fee, and yes they are getting harder to find too. Most local courthouses have one on duty and some public libraries have also along with some chemists at your local Pharmacy. 

In Thailand?

1 hour ago, vivoviajar said:

I am an Australian J.P. living in Chiang Mai and am happy to witness documents, Stat. Decs. etc.  J.P.s cannot charge for their services, it is a community service.

P.M. me if needed but I do travel a lot.

Cheers

Hi I was thinking of having to go to Bangkok to get a stat dec for declaration of income for my marriage visa. Previously I have obtained a retirement visa from Australia but that is becoming more difficult at a state level.I now intend to apply for a marriage visa as we have been married for 7 years. Is a stat dec signed by a JP as acceptable with Tha immigration?

Thanks in advance for your help and I would appreciate knowing how to contact you.

Absolute disgrace. Received my update on my militairy super. Increase: 1.1 %

Write a letter to the over-worked embassy at Bangkok.

But especially, write a letter to DFAT Au. They are likely the ones pulling the strings!

Getting a Stat Dec for the Retirement Visa soon lost any fun moments when you you take in travel time (from outside Khon Kaen), return flight expenses and taxi fares. 

I admit that I am not now, nor ever have been an Australian, ( I'd love to visit sometime though).

But, have some chaps not fully understood the OP?

The Australian Embassy wishes to advise that there will be an increase in notarial fees from 1 January 2017.

The new fee structure will better align with the commercial rates charged by public notaries.

Notarial fees have not increased since 1 July 2000.

From 2018 on-wards, notarial service fees will increase annually in line with the Consumer Price Index published by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Notarial fees are legislated according to the Consular Fees Act 1955 and consular staff have no discretion in applying these fees.

I used the Brit Consul (now closed) in CM for proof of income 5 years ago and got charged almost 3,000b and it needed two visits to get it!

Perhaps you had it good for a long time?

Archived