proof of income. How much in bank account?

Besides the letter from the embassy showing the required monthly income, How much money do they want to see in your bank account. This is the first time doing this. I usually used a service in the past. I have an monthly income that meets their requirements, but I understand they also want to see your bank account. Is this true? If so, how much needs to be in the account?

The Immigration website says proof of monthly income OR 800,000 baht in the bank. But I have heard from people that they also want to see your account. Can somebody please clear this up for me?

Thank You.

Edited by Kickstand
Edit to correct spelling errors

If using the income method all they want to see is the Embassy letter.

Occasionally they might want to look ta you bank account to see how you are living.

No set amount but they like to see some movement.

The chances are that they wont even want to see it.

My income exceeds the monthly income requirement, but I always photo copy the last 3 or 4 months of activity in my bank book and get a letter from the bank manager. I know it's not necessary, but I tend to go for overkill to avoid any questions.

I also attach pension, social security and investment distribution statements to support the amount claimed on the embassy affidavit. Again, overkill, but having done the annual renewal 10 times, I hand over everything they could possibly want, I don't ask any questions and so far no immigration officer has asked me any or batted an eye. And so far they've kept everything I've handed to them.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

You're no longer required to give a copy of your bank book if you have enough monthly pension to meet the requirement. There was a period of several years where they demanded you provide a copy of a Thai bank book along with your other paperwork, but they stopped that seven or eight years ago. I rarely had as much as ฿10,000 in my account and nobody had any idea why the requirement was there. I think it was an effort to increase liquidity in the Thai banks after the 1997 meltdown.

I have  a pension  from Germany , monthly its  below  30 000 baht, in my savings account are 300 K baht left, my extension of my retirement expires in March 2017, I am I trouble deep!!

I have  for some years  a retirement visa, first a non O, then converted.

I am married to a Thai for 21 years and live the same years in Thailand  we have 2 kids in University in Thailand,  looks like the golden Goose is in her last breaths

any advise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kraxlhuber said:

I have  a pension  from Germany , monthly its  below  30 000 baht, in my savings account are 300 K baht left, my extension of my retirement expires in March 2017, I am I trouble deep!!

I am married to a Thai for 21 years and live the same years in Thailand  we have 2 kids in University in Thailand,  looks like the golden Goose is in her last breaths

any advise.

Non-O Multi based on marriage from Savanakhet is the fix - no financial proof needed.  But you will have to do border-runs to friendly-borders every 90-days.  Re-enter just before it expires (the 'enter_before' date), then extend that for 60-days at immigration (to visit your wife), and you can get nearly 15 months out of it.

1 hour ago, kraxlhuber said:

any advise.

How did you get your extensionsuntil now?

Anyway, the requirement for a retirement extension based on Thai spouse should be 400,000 in the bank, you are not far. Remember it has to be there for 3 months before extension day.

I have a US visa and have never been asked to produce proof of income ever, just the paper from the embassy I get yearly from Bangkok. At the US embassy in Bangkok I have never been asked to produce proof of income either, just been asked the question and signed a paper stating that this is the truth.

10 hours ago, kraxlhuber said:

any advise.

For such cases agents can be helpful.

Munotlaw

16 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Anyway, the requirement for a retirement extension based on Thai spouse should be 400,000 in the bank, you are not far. Remember it has to be there for 3 months before extension day.

"a retirement extension based on Thai spouse "

An extension based on retirement is not the same as one based on having a Thai spouse, i.e. an extension based on marriage to a Thai. You appear to be conflating the two into a single entity. 

For the extension based on marriage the money needs to "aged" for two months, not three.

Edited by Suradit69

14 hours ago, ezrider62 said:

I have a US visa and have never been asked to produce proof of income ever, just the paper from the embassy I get yearly from Bangkok. At the US embassy in Bangkok I have never been asked to produce proof of income either, just been asked the question and signed a paper stating that this is the truth.

" I have a US visa  ..."

Not sure what a US visa has to do with anything or why an American would get one. 

At the embassy you are signing an affidavit which is the proof of income required by immigrations. Although it would be unlikely to ever happen, an immigration officer could ask for evidence to support it. If you're getting Social Security and/or a pension or some other regular source of income, keeping statements etc. is probably a good idea to support the amount you claim on the affidavit even if you might never have to produce them.

18 hours ago, kraxlhuber said:

any advise.

You need to borrow 100K for two months and do the married extension job ...I think you can convert that way...unless I mis - understand and you akready go the 'married' way

If your reread again.

You need to proof your income. And if the is enoigh you not need to have money in the Bank.

If you have too less money jn the bamk you can add or top it up with your proof of income.

Proof of income and the amount needed is based on the Visa you apply for.

For wife or take caee of child is lower then other visa

11 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

" I have a US visa  ..."

Not sure what a US visa has to do with anything or why an American would get one. 

At the embassy you are signing an affidavit which is the proof of income required by immigrations. Although it would be unlikely to ever happen, an immigration officer could ask for evidence to support it. If you're getting Social Security and/or a pension or some other regular source of income, keeping statements etc. is probably a good idea to support the amount you claim on the affidavit even if you might never have to produce them.

I have a retirement visa with a monthly pension only.(I omitted this earlier} Yes, I agree about having supporting documents. I did this the first two years and was worried even with this stuff, but turns out I have never been asked for anything except passport.

14 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

"a retirement extension based on Thai spouse "

An extension based on retirement is not the same as one based on having a Thai spouse, i.e. an extension based on marriage to a Thai. You appear to be conflating the two into a single entity. 

For the extension based on marriage the money needs to "aged" for two months, not three.

Of course they are not the same. But since the poster is married to a Thai woman, I was suggesting that instead of opting for retirement on his own which would require 800k, he could opt for spouse which requires 400k.

As for "age", I believe that for both it's 2 months the first time, and then 3 months for subsequent extensions, though I cannot swear on that.

I asked the poster how he got his extensions so far, that would clarify which option is best for him.

Can anybody explain to me why it is that if you have a Thai spouse you only have to have income/savings of 400,000 baht, but if you are single it has to be 800,000 baht.

I live with my partner and we both have to have the 800,000 baht each.

am I missing something?

3 hours ago, arithai12 said:

As for "age", I believe that for both it's 2 months the first time, and then 3 months for subsequent extensions, though I cannot swear on that.

No it's two months for the marriage extension each year. Three months for the retirement extension after the first year.

18 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Anyway, the requirement for a retirement extension based on Thai spouse

And there is no "retirement extension based on Thai spouse." It's one or the other.

11 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

Can anybody explain to me why it is that if you have a Thai spouse you only have to have income/savings of 400,000 baht, but if you are single it has to be 800,000 baht.

I live with my partner and we both have to have the 800,000 baht each.

am I missing something?

Because the extension based upon marriage is for humanitarian reasons. Plus the Thai spouse could be working to help support the family.

If you were married to your partner only one of you would need the 800k baht in the bank. The other one could get an extension as their dependent.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2016 at 11:27 PM, JackThompson said:

Non-O Multi based on marriage from Savanakhet is the fix - no financial proof needed.  But you will have to do border-runs to friendly-borders every 90-days.  Re-enter just before it expires (the 'enter_before' date), then extend that for 60-days at immigration (to visit your wife), and you can get nearly 15 months out of it.

I am a German national 72 years of age. my extension of stay - retirement , expires on March 14, I have also a re-entry permit for that period,  if I,  say,  cross the border in Mae Sai before expiration date?

Should I obtain a new re- entry permit before crossing the border at the immigration, or will  my retirement visa  become invalid, your statement of 15 months total of stay , how  do you figure that out, pls elaborate

I have 400 k baht in the bank as savings and  a letter from my german embassy stating my  pension income in Germany , the monthly income is  27,300 baht

Edited by kraxlhuber
to extend the text

9 hours ago, kraxlhuber said:

I am a German national 72 years of age. my extension of stay - retirement , expires on March 14, I have also a re-entry permit for that period,  if I,  say,  cross the border in Mae Sai before expiration date?

Should I obtain a new re- entry permit before crossing the border at the immigration, or will  my retirement visa  become invalid, your statement of 15 months total of stay , how  do you figure that out, pls elaborate

I have 400 k baht in the bank as savings and  a letter from my german embassy stating my  pension income in Germany , the monthly income is  27,300 baht

That was for a multiple entry non-o visa from an embassy or consulate. You have an extension of stay from immigration which means you would not get another 90 days and would only be stamped in until March 14th.

On 1/2/2017 at 10:26 PM, kraxlhuber said:

If you have a 1-year permission-of-stay obtained from a local immigration office now, then you need a re-entry permit to keep that permission-of-stay valid, if leaving the country. 

27,300 x 12 = 327,600.  327,600 + 400,000 = 727,600.  You would need to put more Baht in your Thai bank account to qualify for a 1-year permission of stay based on retirement, because the total must be 800,000 Baht.  It is wise to put some extra in the bank to deal with exchange-rate fluctuations which could change the value of your pension.  The money in the bank must also be there for 3 mo prior to the application, since this is not your first application for that type of extension.

To qualify for a "1 year permission of stay" of based on being married to a Thai, you cannot combine Income and Bank - you must have 400K in the Bank OR 40K per month income.  The reason I suggested going to Savanahket, Laos for a 1-Year Multi-Entry Non-O based on marriage, is that they are not currently requesting proof-of-income.  Note that with a Multi-Entry visa, you do not need re-entry permits, which are needed to keep a "permission of stay" alive.  The Multi-Entry Non-O gives you 90-Days permission-of-stay every time you enter, until it expires.

The way you get 15 months total-stay, is that you leave and return just before the "enter before" date on the visa, receiving ~90-days past the expiration of the visa.  During that last period, after the "enter before" date on your visa has passed, you would a re-entry permit to leave and return while preserving the final permission-of-stay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If you have a 1-year permission-of-stay obtained from a local immigration office now, then you need a re-entry permit to keep that permission-of-stay valid, if leaving the country. 

27,300 x 12 = 327,600.  327,600 + 400,000 = 727,600.  You would need to put more Baht in your Thai bank account to qualify for a 1-year permission of stay based on retirement, because the total must be 800,000 Baht.  It is wise to put some extra in the bank to deal with exchange-rate fluctuations which could change the value of your pension.  The money in the bank must also be there for 3 mo prior to the application, since this is not your first application for that type of extension.

To qualify for a "1 year permission of stay" of based on being married to a Thai, you cannot combine Income and Bank - you must have 400K in the Bank OR 40K per month income.  The reason I suggested going to Savanahket, Laos for a 1-Year Multi-Entry Non-O based on marriage, is that they are not currently requesting proof-of-income.  Note that with a Multi-Entry visa, you do not need re-entry permits, which are needed to keep a "permission of stay" alive.  The Multi-Entry Non-O gives you 90-Days permission-of-stay every time you enter, until it expires.

The way you get 15 months total-stay, is that you leave and return just before the "enter before" date on the visa, receiving ~90-days past the expiration of the visa.  During that last period, after the "enter before" date on your visa has passed, you would a re-entry permit to leave and return while preserving the final permission-of-stay.

Mr.  Jack Thompson, very precisely explained, thank you,

now that I don't have  3 months  anymore  for seasoning the  money in the bank, I would need more time of the required  3 months  prior  of  extending my  retirement stay extension, how I can I do that, I will top up the required difference  from  (as you so nicely figured out)

later more.

7 minutes ago, kraxlhuber said:

Mr.  Jack Thompson, very precisely explained, thank you,

now that I don't have  3 months  anymore  for seasoning the  money in the bank, I would need more time of the required  3 months  prior  of  extending my  retirement stay extension, how I can I do that, I will top up the required difference  from  (as you so nicely figured out)

later more.

You need to check with your immigration office to find out if they require the funds to be in the bank for 3 months for the combination method. The written rules do not require it but many offices now want it.

If you are married to a Thai you could get a 60 day extension to visit your wife it the 3 months are needed.

If not married then your only and/or best option would be to go out for a single entry non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You need to check with your immigration office to find out if they require the funds to be in the bank for 3 months for the combination method. The written rules do not require it but many offices now want it.

If you are married to a Thai you could get a 60 day extension to visit your wife it the 3 months are needed.

If not married then your only and/or best option would be to go out for a single entry non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate.

For the combination method the required funds have not be in the bank for 3 months. No requirement for how long, can be 1 day.

Munotlaw

Edited by Munotlaw
  • Like 1