Nugget discovery sparks a "gold rush" in Prachuap town!

webfact

Nugget discovery sparks a "gold rush" in Prachuap town!

a6.jpg

Picture: Sanook

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN: -- Locals came out in droves in a Prachuap Khiri Khan town yesterday after a woman found a large gold nugget while panning for the precious metal.

Armed with makeshift panning equipment hundreds of villagers dashed to a klong known as the "Gold Canal", reports Sanook.

Jidapha Jitranarong, 39, had found the gold nugget in the klong. Next day she went to a gold shop who offered to buy it and said it weighed two baht.

While two baht weight of normal gold is worth about 40,000 baht, gold found in the Ron Thong, Ban Saphan area is worth a lot more due to its high quality and religious and historical connections.

Another villager offered her 100,000 baht for the nugget but she refused all offers.

When the news of the discovery broke everyone in the surrounding area of Ron Thong, that literally means panning for gold, dashed to the scene to see if they could get lucky too.

The nugget had apparently been washed down into the klong after run-off during a flood from a hilly area that sometimes yields gold.

But only a few scraps were found thereafter by the teams of hopeful villagers that poured into the area.

The area yielded a reported 54 kilos of gold in a few years in the mid 1700s. It was used mostly for the construction of a "Buddha's footprint" that is on display in Saraburi.

This is how the sub-district of Ron Thong and Klong Thong (Gold Canal) got their names.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-16

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"...gold found in the Ron Thong, Ban Saphan area is worth a lot more due to its high quality..." I do not know where the writer of this article acquired his knowledge of gold quality but all mined or panned gold is 24 karat.  The material in which it is found could be something such as water or low-quality earth which could mean it is cleaner, or easier to clean than other deposits such as those found in gold mines.  If it is contained in rocks they need to be crushed and the gold melted so that it can be released from its source material.

Scott, thanks for lifting my ban.

Just in this post, there is only one response of any value to the members.

The rest are jokes.  Some good, and some not so much.

So are we aloud to write joke ( troll) comments, or not ?

Again thanks for lift ban; but 3-4 of the above comment may be considered troll posts.

As no likes being banned for 2 weeks.

Cheers

I'd have kept my mouth shut and kept panning until I couldn't find any more, then I'd have cashed in before anyone could confiscate the gold, and THEN I may have shot a selfie of a little nugget for the public to go wild over.

But then, I'm selfish like that.

Edited by impulse

I think like BM impulse; I have to also wonder if the woman might have thought that way and misdiscribed where she found the nugget. If there were an enterprising fella they might buy a couple baht of gold, melt it, pour it onto some sand; then say they found a nugget in the area and sell it for twice its value.

On 12/16/2016 at 2:19 PM, impulse said:

I'd have kept my mouth shut and kept panning until I couldn't find any more, then I'd have cashed in before anyone could confiscate the gold, and THEN I may have shot a selfie of a little nugget for the public to go wild over.

But then, I'm selfish like that.

But then on the other hand if the gold is worth much more than its weight in that area maybe she bought the nugget elsewhere and is going to turn a handsome profit. The smartest guy there will be selling booze and food by the panning area. 

2 hours ago, Grubster said:

But then on the other hand if the gold is worth much more than its weight in that area maybe she bought the nugget elsewhere and is going to turn a handsome profit. The smartest guy there will be selling booze and food by the panning area. 

That's called" mining the miner," worked out well in 1849 california.

2 hours ago, gdgbb said:

A bit like the American herd's get rich quick mentality of the 1840s when a similar thing happened there, eh?

Yeah Trumps grandfather was a big man in Alaska and no doubt that is where the Trump fortune was seeded. Hookers and hooch.  Its that first million that is a bugger to use a gentile word. 

Edited by elgordo38

4 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Yeah Trumps grandfather was a big man in Alaska and no doubt that is where the Trump fortune was seeded. Hookers and hooch.  Its that first million that is a bugger to use a gentile word. 

What?  Trump?  What are you talking about?

8 hours ago, gdgbb said:

What?  Trump?  What are you talking about?

Donald Trump's grandfather started family empire with property bought ...

www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Donald-Trump-s-grandfather-started-family-empire-property-b...
Aug 24, 2016 - The grandfather of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump started the family empire during the gold rush, but it's recently been revealed that he nearly died in an Alaskan shipwreck.

On 12/15/2016 at 9:22 PM, webfact said:

While two baht weight of normal gold is worth about 40,000 baht, gold found in the Ron Thong, Ban Saphan area is worth a lot more due to its high quality and religious and historical connections.

My farts are semi-precious. To me that is.