Would like to start a "Anxiety and Depression Support Group in Chiang Mai"

inThailand1

Medication is for some an easy solution . But  I would instead focus on eating the right food , vitamins and minerals , encourage the brain to love life by doing regular exercises. 

If your body is healing than maybe a better chance for your soul to heal . And avoid drugs and alcohol .

Also living alone in a foreign country is not for everyone . If you have a big supportive family then good for you. But many people live lonely lifes that can make your depression worse. 

3 minutes ago, balo said:

Medication is for some an easy solution . But  I would instead focus on eating the right food , vitamins and minerals , encourage the brain to love life by doing regular exercises. 

If your body is healing than maybe a better chance for your soul to heal . And avoid drugs and alcohol .

Also living alone in a foreign country is not for everyone . If you have a big supportive family then good for you. But many people live lonely lifes that can make your depression worse. 

you clearly have no experience of depression or anxiety, your comments are nonsense. if you dont understand something dont comment.

On 12/15/2016 at 11:30 PM, dotpoom said:

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. Am wondering though why you ask " is CM that bad these days"? What makes you ask that. The OP doesn't mention about it being the problem. On the contrary, he says he has a happy life there. I think it's safe to say the problems the OP describes are an"inside job". As a recovered Alcoholic  myself, I know for sure the problem was not with the Alcohol (it can be a very good relaxent) the problem was within me.

I totally understand.  However, my life has been a whirlwind...  I am referring to recent posts that Chiang Mai is a "ghost town."  By no means am I being personal.  I just arrived to California last week.  I must take care of my dad.  I will be in Chiang Mai in 2017.  I have a three year old son there.  I have to make "merit" and take care of the karma.  All the best.  

Depression and Anxiety is a terrible thing..,

i I did suffer many many moons ago, but learned that , the only real help out there was MYSELF.....

hard as it was, I did manage, but that's ME...

we are all different...

best of of luck and hope things work out.

On 12/15/2016 at 11:45 PM, inThailand1 said:

Yep, alcoholism is often just a symptom of deeper problems.

Chiang Mai really is wonderful, I guess the problem is I brought me with me. But lets not change this to a discussion about Chiang Mai :-)

Do not get me wrong...  I love Chiang Mai.  I consider it my home!  I do not feel at home in California, nor South America.  I love it there.  My soul and being love it there; I'll be there soon.  I am an American from California.  I am retired.  They call me "Papilllon."  I have the exact tattoo that is on the back cover of the book...  I've got 13 girls in CM tattooed with butterflies; including my son's mother.  I am the real deal.  I'm just sharing...  I hope to see you all in 2017.  

4 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

Depression and Anxiety is a terrible thing..,

i I did suffer many many moons ago, but learned that , the only real help out there was MYSELF.....

hard as it was, I did manage, but that's ME...

we are all different...

best of of luck and hope things work out.

I agree, the real help must come from within. But others did help me find a way out of a life of self destruction.
Edited by inThailand1

Just now, inThailand1 said:
I agree, the real help must come within. But others did help me find a way out of a life of self destruction.

Other people can’t change me, but people that are going through similar problems can help and understand, the way no doctor, guru or monk can. I lived in India for a year and visited the Buddha Stupa (Tibetan Buddhism) in Nepal for a few months. I understand there are many sources of help. But I myself don’t have the need to say to someone else, your way is no good, listen to my answer for you.

I really am happy most of the time, and I now try to avoid anything that will bring me down. To be honest, I seldom go on blog sites because there are so many unhappy people that spread their unhappiness, negativity or know-it-all opinion, I guess maybe they believe what they say is profound or an important thing that must be said. Sorry, I don’t mean to sound negative also.

Thank you to anyone who commented, who was interested in what I had posted.
Kind regards,

13 hours ago, samsensam said:

you clearly have no experience of depression or anxiety, your comments are nonsense. if you dont understand something dont comment.

What a stupid thing to say , are you suddenly an expert on my life problems now? I do have experience with depression . We are all different . 

On vrijdag 16 december 2016 at 7:55 PM, happyas said:

And also the side effects likely  if taking notice of <deleted> posted on this forum at times

Pre-existing depression may emerge or worsen during use of benzodiazepines including lorazepam. Ativan (lorazepam) is not recommended for use in patients with a primary depressive disorder or psychosis.

Yes , OK I was a bit quick . Some meds are good and helpful for some , the same can make it for others , worse.

If you read all the side effects or every drug , you'd probably wouldn't want to take any.

Lorazepam is good for anxiety , and once you overcome anxiety , it's easier to come out and work on countering depression.

I don't take alcohol well and even other of the diazepines family are not compatible , but lorazepam is great and no side effects ( when taken in moderation). (Very) Last thing I want to do is a support group . Babbeling about your problems is a waste of time , and money if you have to pay for it (as in professional help). But to each his/her own.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/12/2016 at 10:06 PM, happyas said:

Your nic is very apt.

Below is definition from dictionary of Australian slang

Wombat - a simple minded person.

thats a terrible aussie dictionary.....wombat - eats roots shoots and leaves.

Edited by wombat

On 16/12/2016 at 6:42 PM, amexpat said:

I respectfully suggest if you are going to comment about depression, why not take a few minutes to learn what it is? 

A change of scenery or being told to "snap out of it" doesn't help at all.  

respectfully.....i can as i have and i know.......next question.

Most people will suffer from some sort of depression in their lifetime.  Those that endure years of clinically diagnosed depression and manic depression have my sympathy.  Any group that attempts to support the sufferers of this malady have my support.  When in OZ I have supported  two family member who's life has been severely affected and I ride my bike with hundreds of others on "The Black Dog Rides".  Over the years I have had several friends that have been deeply affected by severe depression - some following traumatic work events.  Fortunately the stigma of mental illness is starting to lift.  With good professional help and support most seem to get by.  I wish you all the best in your endeavour.

The most efficient remedy for anxiety and depression are people.

Having a loving family, including some extended family such as cousins. Having one or two genuine close friends and a social life that involves real interaction with others and not fake online friends like on facebook.

Even if not having a family, all people need to do is be there for each other. To take time and listen if someone wants to bounce a problem off them no matter how trivial it sounds, be supportive for those in your circles if they feel down, be there even if at the other end of a phone or Skype for those who may like a have a chat once in a while. To share in events such as birthdays, festive occasions and social activities with family and friends, not forgetting to invite people treating them as if they really matter.

But as we know it doesn’t always work out that way, people can often find themselves living in a sort of isolation, maybe not having a few laughs for years, no one to share anything with in their lives and if they do experience any problems, especially emotional or have something’s troubling their minds, they are left a lone to deal with them because no one really cares or with the attitudes, a friend in need is to be avoided.

The song; People Who Need People, Are The Luckiest People In The World – is true, but of course people need to be there for those who need them. My points are, that the main causes of depression can be aloneness and inactivity’s of mind whereas life seems to have no purpose except for just plodding on for some.

On 12/16/2016 at 5:17 PM, wombat said:

seriously, you live in chiang mai with all that los has to offer and you are depressed? 

Wombat,depression can strike you anywhere,doesn't matter where you live or how little or how much money you have.The Black Dog is indiscriminate. 

On 12/17/2016 at 3:21 AM, 212Roger said:

They call me "Papilllon."  I have the exact tattoo that is on the back cover of the book...  I've got 13 girls in CM tattooed with butterflies; including my son's mother.  I am the real deal.

Sometimes this forum really is worth reading.

What a stupid thing to say , are you suddenly an expert on my life problems now? I do have experience with depression . We are all different . 

i never suffered with depression until i was subjected to balo's nonsense. i now find myself reading and rereading her drivel. it's like looking at road kill, it's unpleasant but one is drawn to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect