AIS sim card balance drops 220 bht without any use

Stekmer

All three major service providers here support USSD, and IVR (some, not all), codes to turn mobile data on, off and check the status.

It may be simpler, and more reliable,  to toggle mobile data off/on on the device? In Android, Settings, Wireless & networks, Data usage, Cellular, toggle Cellular data on/off.

Managing recurring plans can be challenging. In some cases you can cancel a recurring plan via a USSD code, or by contacting the provider. In most cases I'd recommend letting your balance dip below the renewal price as this will automatically cancel the plan. Managing long-term expiry can also be challenging if the provider decides to enforce a 90 day usage requirement. One way around this is to ask a friend in Thailand to add a 10 baht top-up (12 baht with the fee) each month, or three times every 90 days. Note that some promotional SIMs have embedded 90 day expiry limits.

While it's nice for folks to help out, I am a bit surprised that a service provider would deal with someone who is not the registered owner of the SIM. Typically they require proof of ownership to make any sort of account changes.

AIS/One-2-Call prepaid
Easily self-activate or deactivate data connections to control your data roaming costs and prevent your smartphone or tablet from auto-data connections
To deactivate data serviceDial *129*1# call
To activate data serviceDial *129*2# call
To check data activation statusDial *129# call
Please wait for SMS notifications of data service activation/deactivation confirmation.
Activation and deactivation of the data service will be effective on both domestic and overseas use.
Some apps on phones, smartphones, or tablets may have auto-data connections feature. To prevent unintentional use, the user should deactivate the data service when not in use.
If you have deactivated data service on your device and you want to reactivate it, you first have to activate data service then restart your device.
1SIM2Numbers customers can also use this service and it will only have an effect on the number you used to activate.
Prepaid Multi SIM customers cannot use this service.
Service Fee : Free of charge.

TrueMove H prepaid: http://www3.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/selfservice/prepaid?ln=en
To apply to internet service(short cut no.)    -         *902*01#     free
To cancel internet service (short cut no.)    -    -    *902*02#     free

DTAC/Happy prepaid https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/happynumber.html

Enable dtac prepaid internet  Direct Number (USSD) *104*71*9#  IVR*1004  Press 9 Press 7

Disable dtac prepaid internet  Direct Number (USSD) *104*72*9#   IVR*1004  Press 9 Press 7

Edited by mtls2005

Try as I might - I cant find a way to register on the AIS website, other than for the newsletter and promotion updates - some pages only display in Thai (despite having an EN button option that doesn't seem to work).
I wonder if this is only possible from within Thailand?

Seems relatively straight-forward:

1.) Go to http://www.ais.co.th/eservice.html enter your 10 digit AIS mobile phone number, wait for the 4-digit OTP, enter it, validate with the associated passport or Thai ID number, change language to EN, then you can pretty much do anything you want, including review account activity. Alternate link: https://eservice.ais.co.th/eServiceWeb;jsessionid=3OUof1DxhUyE39YHLaH9uk2I.undefined  toggle to EN.

or

2.) Download the AIS e-Service app, for example: Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ais.mimo.eservice&hl=en download and install the app. request an OTP, do the same.

I assume these apps are targeted primarily for use in Thailand; no clue how well they'd work (i.e. delivering an OTP via SMS while roaming internationally) outside the country?

Edited to add: one could download the AIS Play app  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ais.mimo.AISPlay&hl=en and then watch Thai TV, via WiFi. No clue if this works outside of Thailand, or if it does work via VPN presence inside Thailand?

Edited by mtls2005

I got the same problem, I havta register my SIM with my ID...my stepdaughter got the SIM for me initially...when I entered my phone number on the webpage the 2nd time I was blocked and the message said either to go to a shop or call 1175...

I called 1175 and the rep said that I havta go in person to an AIS shop with my passport and do the registration business there...

11 hours ago, Stekmer said:

Still waiting for the promised refund of the 213 bht.

A useful learning curve.

Try as I might - I cant find a way to register on the AIS website, other than for the newsletter and promotion updates - some pages only display in Thai (despite having an EN button option that doesn't seem to work).

No, their site is just a mess and doesn't render much in English at all.

Refund-wise, my experience of that has been about a week in both cases.  If you've had nothing by next Friday morning, PM me and I'll follow it up for you.

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

1.) Go to http://www.ais.co.th/eservice.html enter your 10 digit AIS mobile phone number, wait for the 4-digit OTP, enter it, validate with the associated passport or Thai ID number, change language to EN, then you can pretty much do anything you want, including review account activity. Alternate link: https://eservice.ais.co.th/eServiceWeb;jsessionid=3OUof1DxhUyE39YHLaH9uk2I.undefined  toggle to EN.

or

2.) Download the AIS e-Service app, for example: Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ais.mimo.eservice&hl=en download and install the app. request an OTP, do the same.

I assume these apps are targeted primarily for use in Thailand; no clue how well they'd work (i.e. delivering an OTP via SMS while roaming internationally) outside the country?

Edited to add: one could download the AIS Play app  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ais.mimo.AISPlay&hl=en and then watch Thai TV, via WiFi. No clue if this works outside of Thailand, or if it does work via VPN presence inside Thailand?

Thanks mtls205,

That worked a treat :-)

I entered my phone number > received sms within 30 seconds (in Australia) > entered OTP code > changed to EN and could see all my account details.

I wasn't asked for passport details or to enter anything else. It had my full name (inc middle name) displayed so I assume it had correctly retained all my details from when I registered the sim in the AIS shop back in early February 2016.

Oddly (and thankfully) enough - when I go back to the http://www.ais.co.th/eservice.html  page it now has an EN button that seems to work (couldn't see it when I first used the page).

Might try the AIS app next.

Thanks again :-)

Edited by Stekmer

I have just had this happen to me with AIS yesterday. I received a text asking me to report to an AIS/Telewiz shop before the 24th as "your passport photo is not clear or incomplete per NBTC's regulation".I reported in as instructed and she photocopied my passport and did something on the computer and that was that.

Somehow after the  visit to the shop my balance which was 32 baht has been totally reduced to zero even though MOBILE DATA IS TURNED OFF. On checking usage online on AIS SERVICE my phone has been using data in mainly 4, 5 and even one 10 baht chunks.There is one time stamp before I visited the shop for 3 baht and the rest are after.There is nothing else for December at all (as expected) except one 0.01 baht charge which seem to crop up occasionally for some reason.

What on earth is going on ? I've had no add on packages recently and never have mobile data turned on and my phone is indeed showing ZERO MOBILE DATA USED after oct 7th.

Edited by parryhandy

23 minutes ago, parryhandy said:

I have just had this happen to me with AIS yesterday. I received a text asking me to report to an AIS/Telewiz shop before the 24th as "your passport photo is not clear or incomplete per NBTC's regulation".I reported in as instructed and she photocopied my passport and did something on the computer and that was that.

Somehow after the  visit to the shop my balance which was 32 baht has been totally reduced to zero even though MOBILE DATA IS TURNED OFF. On checking usage online on AIS SERVICE my phone has been using data in mainly 4, 5 and even one 10 baht chunks.There is one time stamp before I visited the shop for 3 baht and the rest are after.There is nothing else for December at all (as expected) except one 0.01 baht charge which seem to crop up occasionally for some reason.

What on earth is going on ? I've had no add on packages recently and never have mobile data turned on and my phone is indeed showing ZERO MOBILE DATA USED after oct 7th.

Call 1175 and ask them. 

I think 1175 calls are three baht per call, regardless of duration? I think the other providers also charge a flat fee of 2 or 3 baht based on the call, not the duration (DTAC: 1678, TrueMove H: 1331)

Many threads re: AIS cleaning up their SIM registration data base.  

Edited by mtls2005

On 12/16/2016 at 2:03 PM, Stekmer said:

Thanks  - the data connection was the first thing I checked and it was definitely turned off.

The phone has been turned off (since I got on a plane to home, late October) and the balance checked and recorded just before turning off.

Very strange .... and frustrating!!

I'm back in Thailand in early February 2017 - might leave the phone off until then.

If you go to this website you can see your account.

https://eservice.ais.co.th/eServiceWeb;jsessionid=AO48v9CYgAG4dOzMdtUkfSjP.undefined

You will need to switch the phone on to get the OTP, I think it is about 20 baht for text on roaming. Once on the site you can turn the phone off again. There is a tab at the top to change to English and if you go to call details and enter your passport number you will see your history and there should be some explanation for the charge.

About a month ago my balance suddenly dropped by about 200 baht and when I checked the history there was a call that had been timed at 192 minutes. I am not disputing the call but it was only to tell someone we were on our way, doubt if it was a minute far less 192. My wife phoned AIS and they said that is what the system recorded and there was nothing they could do. Maybe something similar.

I have had this sim card about 10 years and it is voice only so never have a problem with data charges.

PS. Apologies for the repetition on AIS service. When I got end of page 1, thought it was end of thread, didn't see page 2 till after I posted.

Edited by sandyf

17 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

or

Super, thanks.

I am in Thailand and everything worked as you suggested.

I can read that my wife registered the SIM when we bought it.

I entered her ID and got yhe message about the need to visir an AIS shop.

Not sure when I'll do that, rarely go to the big city LOL

Having bought the card on 19/11/2016 which included some credit,

mobile data on the phone was turned off when the SIM was installed.

I made one short call but the balance went low and I topped up with 100b on 29/11/2016.

There are 2 messages about a free VDO Movie 1GB has been activated but I never used it so I suppose there is a charge for this Free service and that would be where the money went?

Later got low balance message and we just added another 100b on 17/12/2016 which took the bal to 103.18b.

The phone had not been used since the first call but the balance was down to 3.18b ?

I had used the *129*1# on 17/11/2016 and the bal is now steady at 103.18 according the the AIS website.

Until I visit a shop, I can't access the calling details but my account looks like this

a3.JPG

I only ever want voice calls so is there a way to turn everything else off?

Many thanks for your help

4 hours ago, laislica said:

Super, thanks.

I am in Thailand and everything worked as you suggested.

I can read that my wife registered the SIM when we bought it.

I entered her ID and got yhe message about the need to visir an AIS shop.

Not sure when I'll do that, rarely go to the big city LOL

Having bought the card on 19/11/2016 which included some credit,

mobile data on the phone was turned off when the SIM was installed.

I made one short call but the balance went low and I topped up with 100b on 29/11/2016.

There are 2 messages about a free VDO Movie 1GB has been activated but I never used it so I suppose there is a charge for this Free service and that would be where the money went?

Later got low balance message and we just added another 100b on 17/12/2016 which took the bal to 103.18b.

The phone had not been used since the first call but the balance was down to 3.18b ?

I had used the *129*1# on 17/11/2016 and the bal is now steady at 103.18 according the the AIS website.

Until I visit a shop, I can't access the calling details but my account looks like this

a3.JPG

I only ever want voice calls so is there a way to turn everything else off?

Many thanks for your help

In response to your last comment - Yes.

Menu on left hand side - click 'One Number for Promotion' and then 'Change Main Package'

You have a choice of Talk, Data or Both on the left hand drop down, so if you only want voice you can change to a "Talk Package".

There are further options on the right hand drop down, "Call to all Networks" probably being the most appropriate. I think I am on No 2 but looks like they have renamed it. The description on my main page is no longer listed.

Hope that helps

PS if you are on a talk package you can buy a short term data package as an add on. I often get a 24 hour or 3 day data package if going somewhere.

Edited by sandyf

13 hours ago, willie555 said:

It must be because of roaming charges, I was just in the same situation in Canada when I forgot to switch my usual SIM to roaming provider in time. I am almost sure it is the reason. 

It was just that the data plan (1 Gb for 30 days) automatically renewed itself.

It looks like it pays to turn data off, if you have subscribed to a data plan - tries to renew itself when you turn the phone back on.

On / Off codes for data are given earlier in the thread.

ye gotta see which of yer 'apps' require a constant data connection...I just looked and the weather indicator on the homescreen now doesn't work since I switched the data connection off...

ho hum...gettin' ready to shitcan my new smartphone device anyway now that nokia are bringin' in a new line of dumbphones...I've always got a full featured laptop handy anyway so who needs the aggravation...recently got entangled with the stupid 'one drive'...'Get Connected to the One Drive and Access All Your Files From Your Laptop on Your Smartphone! WHOPPEE!'...then later apps, apps, new accounts and passwords up the bunghole...

sheeed....

Edited by tutsiwarrior

18 hours ago, sandyf said:

In response to your last comment - Yes.

Menu on left hand side - click 'One Number for Promotion' and then 'Change Main Package'

You have a choice of Talk, Data or Both on the left hand drop down, so if you only want voice you can change to a "Talk Package".

There are further options on the right hand drop down, "Call to all Networks" probably being the most appropriate. I think I am on No 2 but looks like they have renamed it. The description on my main page is no longer listed.

Hope that helps

PS if you are on a talk package you can buy a short term data package as an add on. I often get a 24 hour or 3 day data package if going somewhere.

OK, tried that but it wants me to select a package but that means that I have recurring charges again?

and what is the buffet about?

a5.JPG

Then there's this - I am confused cos there is nothing for me to Select.....

a6.JPG

Sorry that I'm so dumb.....

23 hours ago, laislica said:

OK, tried that but it wants me to select a package but that means that I have recurring charges again?

and what is the buffet about?

a5.JPG

Then there's this - I am confused cos there is nothing for me to Select.....

a6.JPG

Sorry that I'm so dumb.....

It is quite straightforward once you get used to it, I was just as confused to start with. 

If you press the detail button in the middle you get a bit more info. If there is no price shown in the 'Price'  column then it is on a top up basis and not a recurring charge. Top ups start at 50 baht and give 30 days validity.

A friend of mine that is on the same package as I am spends 6 months here and 6 months in UK. He is not a computer person and before he goes he goes to 7 eleven and buys 6 x 50 baht cards and puts them on his phone. This puts 300 baht on his balance and extends the current validity about 6 months.

I top up online at 50 baht a month and when I go back on holiday just do an extra top up to push the validity forward.

I suspect the 'Buffet' is a translation issue, probably means a 'Variety' of features depending on package selected. As I said I think 'Call to other networks is the list you should be looking at.

Not sure how you would stand making payment from outside Thailand so it may need to be left until you get back. Nothing wrong with establishing the options though, good luck.

Many thanks Sandy.

I changed the main package to:-

Talk Package:    Call to All Networks

0.99b for 1st min and 1.4 Satang/ sec for nedt. 4 free movies a week free download AIS PLAY app press *357#

I pressed NOTHING LOL

It turned my internet back on and asked me to turn it off again, which I have.

So I guess I'm all done now.

We go to Spain for 6 months +, so it will be cheaper to buy a new SIM every year.

I only need it when we are out and then separate.

My wife is on contract so never loses her number and our ATM ping ping goes to her phone.

I didn't see anywhere to cancel internet except the *129*1#, so there is always a chance it gets turned on again?

I wonder if there is a SIM for voice only?
I'll ask next time in a city, (if I remember).

Thanks for all your help.

PS, my balance went down by 25b, I assume because I changed the package?

Edited by laislica

Update to original post.

With GBK's help - AIS have now refunded the 213 baht that was taken from my balance when the data plan 'auto' renewed itself.

It took only 3 business days so I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Thanks again to GBK and to all those who have replied to the original post with some very helpful and constructive comments and suggestions.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all :-)