Pattaya takes ownership of Big Buddha Hill Chinese shrine

Rimmer

Pattaya takes ownership of Big Buddha Hill Chinese shrine

Pattaya took over ownership of Wang Sam Sien on Big Buddha Hill, a Chinese shrine built privately on public land that city hall was set to demolish.

PATTAYA:-- Pattaya took over ownership of Wang Sam Sien on Big Buddha Hill, a Chinese shrine built privately on public land that city hall was set to demolish.

Mongkol Mahakitpaisan, president of the Mahakit­paisan Foundation, turned over ownership of the Khao Phra Yai structure to Acting Mayor Chanapong Sriviset Dec. 9, ending a nearly three-year legal battle.

In July, the Supreme Administrative Court upheld a lower court’s verdict against Mahakitpaisan for building the shrine on public land.

Pattaya received rights to five rai of Ministry of Defense land from the Royal Thai Navy. After the rights were transferred, Pattaya improved the landscaping. However, Mahakitpaisan built Wang Sam Sien there in 2013.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-takes-ownership-big-buddha-hill-chinese-shrine-158350

PATTAYA MAIL 2016-16-12

In their infinite wisdom, they want to tear down this attraction that perhaps even appeals to the Chinese tourist crowd, yet Walking Street bay side will be there long after I am dead and gone, I reckon.

Would help to show your "wisdom" by reading the full article that concludes "The decision was since made to keep the shrine open"

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

On 12/17/2016 at 0:25 PM, Nemesis7 said:

Took over that's ok if it's a public land but hope they don't demolish as it attracts a lot of Chinese tourists. 

I guess the Waterfronts Suites were really, really lucky to get the only sliver of private land between this temple's public land and the Bali Hai beach public land.

On 12/16/2016 at 7:49 PM, andre47 said:

I like this place. It is not easy to find a quiet location like this in Pattaya.

I hope they will not destroy this place. 

it is one of my favorite and serene places in pattaya.  I remember the initial thai visa post a few months ago that is alluded to in this article

the sad thing is even if the thais now try to maybe charge admission or something, they couldn't agree who gets the money.  but not many details now or before on how the original land and structures were allocated.  Nothing seems permanent over there and the military is land grabbing or re allocating as it sees fit