Are there any truly dangerous places in Thailand?

eldragon

10 hours ago, pattayahenry said:

mochit busstation is huge, i have never been there after midnight, but usually there are lots of people around. as long as you dont fall asleep, nobody will take your bags, most likely they have CCTV, maybe you can put it inside a ticket counter, that is open all night. no beer available in the whole station, not even 7-11. you have to go outside to the street restaurants.

I've been there often , but never after midnight to the morning. And you read about people getting things stolen there and even at the airport .

Spidermike007 said: "I seriously doubt it. Just figure our a way to keep your eyes on your bags. Or better yet, get a nearby room for 600 baht a night. "

Just nodding off can happen. Not getting a taxi at night to a room , if I can wait about 5 hours at MoChit . ( taxi's at night are an even bigger risk & I'm cheap...)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/17/2016 at 2:42 AM, godblessemall said:

I think they target specific people such as soldiers, monks, teachers & other Govt officials. I don't think foreigners are in danger unless just catching a stray bullet or bomb.

Not entirely true. I went down into the 'red zone' in Yala. Mid meal, the Muslim people i were with tapped me on the shoulder and said we are leaving. They said something to a group of 12 men on the next table. Apparently, I wasn't too liked and things were being discussed. Also the night market was considered off limits for me and that week public vans. A few places I went into the owners closed the curtains instantly to avoid attention, one other place refused to serve me, but another was more than accommodating lol. On the outskirts down south is pretty okay, but in full Muslim territory, unless with other Muslims I would give the same advice foreign countries give, 'do not travel'. 

26 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

saan

"i have smiled my way out of many problems,it seems to work"

Seriously?????

Smile-fuu> or Smile-jitsu. As long as you don't have alot of gold teeth. Runfastate might work as well.

Edited by NickJ
None

On 12/17/2016 at 4:21 PM, FlorC said:

Now here is a more specific question : Next month I'll be arriving at night at MoChit busstation . I want to stay there 'till the morning busses start driving ... will I get robbed there with my bags ?

What an amazing question two very different answers

Definitely yes , if you appear drunk and do not take good care of your bags and also hide in a quiet badly lit areas, also flash plenty of dollar bills

Definitely no if you behave well stay, in busy areas, have a small chain to go through all the handles of your bags, and generally act responsibly

So it is up to you as is the case on 95% of safety problems; some people just attract problems because of their behaviour, and this is not just in Thailand but in the whole world, London and NewYork as well

The thief and opportunist will choose someone other than the well prepared person, who are easier targets, so you make some of your own luck

I think your talking about mo chit bus station #2?   Are you arriving on a bus from somewhere?    It is a big bus station that is well lit.  It has seating areas in front of several TVs.   There are lots of security during the day and I assume at night too.    There is a 7-11 to get food and drink as well as a restaurant/ vender eating area.   The bathroom is a few baht or 10.   I have been here several times and while there are some very poor looking people I felt safe.   It is a good people watching place.   It was super crowded one day last July for some holiday with virtually no seats available.  To get to the BTS and bus system is a strange walk (250 m) through this marketplace and then you pop out onto this crazy place that doesn't seem like a bus stop.   This bus will get you to mo chit BTS.   I'm not sure when the buses run but I wouldn't want to walk through this marketplace at night.    I never uses a taxi so I don't know if they stop closer to the bus station. 

Well, there seem to be quite a few pickpockets operating a Morchit 2.

They seem to be targeting people who doze away.

Never got hit myself but different people among friends/family have.

Better use a money belt if you stay there overnight.

Edited by Lannig
Missing 1 word

On 12/17/2016 at 8:24 PM, Wake Up said:

I am convinced that peopel who repeatedly state how dangerous Thailand roads are don't drive. They just know it all like repetitious parrots. One of the easier countries in the world to drive. Don't quote some highway stastistic to me as that covers pedestrians and tourist motorbikes and motorbikes that drive at night in rural areas with no lights. Would rather drive here than Bejing, Los Angeles, Boston etc.....simple false that Thailand is more dangerous to drive than other places. ?

Buy a car. Drive the country and see how easy it is and how well the roads are maintained. Don't listen to experts that don't drive. 

This is such an idiotic comment that you must be a troll. Official statistics show that Thailand has the second highest road deaths in the world, and Thailand only counts those who die at the scene and not in hospital afterwards. There is no proper tuition, no meaningful driving test before a license is issued, a me-first mentality.

and how well the roads are maintained

Sure. Take a drive from Bangkok to Kamphaeng Phet along the Asia Highway 1, aka. Routes 1 and 32 in Thai numbering.

This is the road to Chiang Mai so it probably qualifies as one of the top 3 highways in Thailand. So it must also be among the best maintained?

It's so broken along some sections (especially north of Nakorn Sawan) that no one drives on the left lane anymore. Potholes so big that you really risk breaking your car's steering, chokes, bearings and such  if you drive over them. Loss of control is a real risk too due to the shocks passed to the steering wheel. So every car/truck/bus drives on the right lane at a crawling speed and only daring souls sometimes overtake by using the left (slow) lane, in a crazy inverted fashion.

It's been like this for years, it gets worse with every passing month and it's a crying shame.

Edited by Lannig

On 12/17/2016 at 1:47 AM, eldragon said:

I agree. When I came here as a tourist ten years ago, a German guy told me about a mythical section of Bangkok he described as the city's "south side", but I've never seen it, or even heard about it since then. Closest thing I've ever seen is a row of towers at the end of On Nut 46. Thailand seems somewhat unique among large cities in the way the poor live alongside the rich. Diversified housing is usually a good crime deterrent.

Klong Toey Slum might surprise you, if you went on a solo walk there one evening.

There doesnt seem to be the ghettoisation of cities here, as there are in other countries.

There are dertainly places i would stay away from, in particular Koh Tao would be on an avoid at all costs place.

Pattaya and Patong Beach road at night are notorious, and a stroll around Khlong Toey at night might  be a risk.

A lot of it is about common sense, so probably the biggest danger is an RTA

12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This is such an idiotic comment that you must be a troll. Official statistics show that Thailand has the second highest road deaths in the world, and Thailand only counts those who die at the scene and not in hospital afterwards. There is no proper tuition, no meaningful driving test before a license is issued, a me-first mentality.

Also Thailand statistics from memory are all false. I think the World Health Organisation came in and found the actual number was twice the amount of the 'official' number. 

2 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

Klong Toey Slum might surprise you, if you went on a solo walk there one evening.

Funny you should say that b/c when I try to imagine what area he was talking about I always imagine Klong Toey. That's the place that Thais always warn me about too.

I live in Narathiwat City, in the so-called dangerous deep south, and have driven my motorbike to every nook and cranny of all 13 districts here, as well as parts of Pattani amd Yala Province. Never really felt unsafe, although I do feel less comfortable doing so after dark. Even so, sometimes, just to get a kick out of it, I drive to Tanyongmat (Rangae) or Yingo for dinner. And back of course. Maybe the added "danger" makes me feel more alive. Can't really explain why I do it, even though locals emphatically tell me not to. อันตรายมากๆ!

I do feel in danger when in a minivan driving 120 kph in heavy rain. Also, I had a nasty experience in Dannok town (border town in Songkhla Province), where some Myanmar freelancer I picked up in the street, and paid 1000 baht LT upfront for, was beaten up in front of my face by her bf when we went out for a drink. He had been waiting in front of my hotel. No, nothing had happened between us so far, which I was VERY quick to tell him. And, yes, I lost the girl and the money, which got me thinking it might have been a scam all the way. Anyway, as it was on my first evening out of four and Dannok is very small, I didn't feel safe during the rest of my stay, afraid I wpuld run into e.g. the bf. Besides, the dark unlit alleys close to the Malaysian border were places I felt really uncomfortable anyway. Though I had been there before, now it truly felt like a lawless place. Very little police presence and being literally the only farang there (in four days and nights) made me stand out too much for my liking. For some R&R I still much prefer Pattaya, where I never felt threatened in any way.

Edited by MarcelV

On 12/18/2016 at 10:42 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Statistics. I know the one you are referencing and it does not state what you think it states. Drive around Thailand and other places in the world. Or stay home and parrot Thailand dangerous dangerous don't drive don't drive. I can read a statistic. 

16 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Statistics. I know the one you are referencing and it does not state what you think it states. Drive around Thailand and other places in the world. Or stay home and parrot Thailand dangerous dangerous don't drive don't drive. I can read a statistic. 

I've been living in Thailand for nearly 25 years and I know what I see. I live on a long straight road, yet in the past two years there have been 10 accidents, a few fatal, within 300 or 400 metres of my house. You'd suggest that I must live on the most dangerous stretch of road in Thailand I suppose, and everywhere else is accident-free.

On 12/17/2016 at 5:54 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

Where?  I've walked around D-troit at night, 125th Street in Harlem, West Dallas, certain parts of Denver, Chicago, the Tenderloin, Hollywood and I've driven through East Saint Louis, Compton, South Central.  Just normal people going about their business and I'm white as a ghost.

The White Trash areas of Thailand are Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket & Chiang Mai.

I'm sure you'll fit in if you make an effort mate, crikey ?

Maybe you were just lucky? On average (e.g. for every 100 late night visits), a person would have a higher chance of getting assaulted/mugged/shot in those US hoods than in Pattaya, BKK, Phuket, CM.

• 3 weeks later...

You won't get a better answer than this. I'm on edge every time I go out and have completely lost my nerve to drive here. No matter how well you drive there is so much that is outside your control. How do you deal with someone hurtling towards you on your side of the road, flashing their lights to get out of their way when there is no room to do so? What to do when someone pulls out of a side road right in front of you without even a glance to see if it's safe? I let my wife drive and she is a very good driver, but I feel I'm only marking time until I or we are killed or seriously injured on the road.

This is exactly how I feel, and me and my TG don't ride a motor/cycle . We walk everywhere !

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app