Are there any truly dangerous places in Thailand?

eldragon

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The most dangerous places in Thailand are the roads,many people killed everyday,

its the only place in Thailand I don't really feel safe.

regards Worgeordie

I am convinced that peopel who repeatedly state how dangerous Thailand roads are don't drive. They just know it all like repetitious parrots. One of the easier countries in the world to drive. Don't quote some highway stastistic to me as that covers pedestrians and tourist motorbikes and motorbikes that drive at night in rural areas with no lights. Would rather drive here than Bejing, Los Angeles, Boston etc.....simple false that Thailand is more dangerous to drive than other places. ?

Buy a car. Drive the country and see how easy it is and how well the roads are maintained. Don't listen to experts that don't drive. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai bars and karaoke places with a lot of motorcycles parked out front. I used to visit them years ago with Thais and lot's of fights where not one on one but many with anything they could get their hands on, pipes, helmets, pieces of wood and large knives. Scary..

I think that anywhere in Thailand can be dangerous,if you put yourself on offer.By that i mean,wearing loads of gold around your neck,or hands.

mouthing off to a Thai/Thais when your pissed up and think that they cant fight,Oh brother,they can and will when theres about 6 of 'em.But mainly its the resorts that i would be careful in.You have to remember that a high percentage of thai youths have no future,no money and are usually drug takers.All they see you as, is the price of their next fix.

And if you die,you die.The plod arent exactly on our side in those cases.

Most street Thais are very uneducated and ignorant,in effect,you are dealing with feral kids,who would have no problem in gutting you like a fish if piss'em off,like not handing over you wallet when asked.Then there are the bars in areas where the bouncers delight in getting a foreigner on the floor and kicking the shit out of him,6 to 1 of course.

Thailand can be a great place but you have to be street wise,a complete rube would be fair game.And of course theres the female side of it,the ones that get you up to their,or your  room and give you a drink,laced with something that will knock you out till the next morning(if you dont drink it then they will smear it on their tits) minus all your money and otherstuff.

But having said that,there are guys who have never seen this side,and good luck to them,'cos thats what it is luck."how lucky do you feel punk!"I was street smart as a kid 'cos i grew up in the east end of l

London,and i learned when to run away.

Please dont think that LOS really does stand for Land of smiles.

Good luck.Just be careful.

31 minutes ago, fishbrando said:

The area between Nana BTS and Pleonchit BTS is shady too as you get close to Ploenchit.  Many thieves.

Near Ploenchit? You're kidding right? Unless you're worried about a hiso type who's running low on cash jumping out of his Porsche and snatching your briefcase.

Edited by The Dancer

I am convinced that peopel who repeatedly state how dangerous Thailand roads are don't drive. They just know it all like repetitious parrots. One of the easier countries in the world to drive. Don't quote some highway stastistic to me as that covers pedestrians and tourist motorbikes and motorbikes that drive at night in rural areas with no lights. Would rather drive here than Bejing, Los Angeles, Boston etc.....simple false that Thailand is more dangerous to drive than other places. [emoji8]
Buy a car. Drive the country and see how easy it is and how well the roads are maintained. Don't listen to experts that don't drive. 

I've driven over 150+km in Thailand and a considerably miles more in the UK. I find many of the Thai drivers lack "road sense" do really dumb things, sometimes dangerous.

Many bike riders ride as if they are the only ones on the road and have no concern or understanding of their own personal safety, causing problems to themselves and those around them.

Then there are the 10% of crazy car drivers who tailgate, undertake at great speed and generally don't give any consideration to other road users.

If you drive here you have greater awareness of the dangers, the statistics stand for themselves.

With kind regards

Colin

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

I am convinced that peopel who repeatedly state how dangerous Thailand roads are don't drive. They just know it all like repetitious parrots. One of the easier countries in the world to drive. Don't quote some highway stastistic to me as that covers pedestrians and tourist motorbikes and motorbikes that drive at night in rural areas with no lights. Would rather drive here than Bejing, Los Angeles, Boston etc.....simple false that Thailand is more dangerous to drive than other places. ?

Or have never driven on Samui?

23 hours ago, impulse said:

One caveat:  Don't get between a Brit and his barstool.  Do that, and all bets are off...

Pfff! Bar stools are nothing. Contravene the ancient but uncodified rules regarding pool tables, and who gets to "stay on" versus who has "put money down", and you'll be wearing the bar stool :smile:

2 hours ago, Saastrajaa said:

You're most in danger of being victimized by farangs in Thailand.  Especially the lot that goes out to the bars each night with three equally important goals: 1) get drunk 2) get laid 3) get in a fight.  Ignore those lowlifes, and you're pretty much home free.

The "digital nomad" crew are likely to be an increasing problem the longer Europe's recession lasts. There are lots of half-wits on Youtube boasting about how you can finance your life in Thailand through "dropshipping" and the like. One guy boasts about the money he makes telling others how to make money. The expression "Ponzi scheme" is one he obviously hasn't heard. 

On the subject of young Thai blokes, in Udon's Nong Bua park in July me and my lanky farang pal had a group of young folk on scooters brake really hard and late and all-but dump the bikes in order for one of them to "accidentally-on-purpose", and wearing only Muay Thai shorts, swagger across our path so we had to slow down and walk around him. That's the first time I've seen that. Very western. Very "deer pissing on territory". 

Don't wish for things that could happen, I've had an assault rifle pointed at me going to work first thing in the morning in Turkey ........

nearly sh it my pants and it was just site security who knew me .....

Edited by sandrabbit

7 hours ago, FlorC said:

Now here is a more specific question : Next month I'll be arriving at night at MoChit busstation . I want to stay there 'till the morning busses start driving ... will I get robbed there with my bags ?

mochit busstation is huge, i have never been there after midnight, but usually there are lots of people around. as long as you dont fall asleep, nobody will take your bags, most likely they have CCTV, maybe you can put it inside a ticket counter, that is open all night. no beer available in the whole station, not even 7-11. you have to go outside to the street restaurants.

2 hours ago, The Dancer said:

Near Ploenchit? You're kidding right? Unless you're worried about a hiso type who's running low on cash jumping out of his Porsche and snatching your briefcase.

Try walking that stretch from Nana to Ploenchit one night.  You'll see what I mean.

21 minutes ago, fishbrando said:

Try walking that stretch from Nana to Ploenchit one night.  You'll see what I mean.

I walk very fast onthat stretch of real estate afer midnight between Wittyut and Nana, breath a sigh of relief when I get to the McDonalds and beyond..............it is scary, there are all kinds of trolls under the overpasses at night.

15 hours ago, sipi said:

I had a lady who tried to take advantage of me but I managed to fight her off. 

Yup, happened to me also a number of times. Probably took 2 hrs - 3 hrs to fight them off and I was really stuffed doing it.  But I lived to fight another day.

Edited by lvr181
Spelling correction

On 12/16/2016 at 10:52 AM, eldragon said:

Ok, but I guess I'm talking about specific places. Like, there are places in USA where a white guy in a collered shirt and golf shorts will probably lose his wallet within a few minutes of stepping off a bus. There are also some white trash areas where I probably would not go if I wasn't white. Is there anything like that here in Thailand?

Where?  I've walked around D-troit at night, 125th Street in Harlem, West Dallas, certain parts of Denver, Chicago, the Tenderloin, Hollywood and I've driven through East Saint Louis, Compton, South Central.  Just normal people going about their business and I'm white as a ghost.

The White Trash areas of Thailand are Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket & Chiang Mai.

I'm sure you'll fit in if you make an effort mate, crikey ?

Edited by SiSePuede419

6 hours ago, pattayahenry said:

mochit busstation is huge, i have never been there after midnight, but usually there are lots of people around. as long as you dont fall asleep, nobody will take your bags, most likely they have CCTV, maybe you can put it inside a ticket counter, that is open all night. no beer available in the whole station, not even 7-11. you have to go outside to the street restaurants.

You will only have probelems if: (A) You are drunk. (B) Your are obnoxious (C) You are stupid

10 hours ago, Saastrajaa said:

You're most in danger of being victimized by farangs in Thailand.  Especially the lot that goes out to the bars each night with three equally important goals: 1) get drunk 2) get laid 3) get in a fight.  Ignore those lowlifes, and you're pretty much home free.

If i said this i would have 90% of the TV members after me. Thank you for your insightful truthful and honest statement. Could not have said it better.

Edited by Mitkof Island

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Where?  I've walked around D-troit at night, 125th Street in Harlem, West Dallas, certain parts of Denver, Chicago, the Tenderloin, Hollywood and I've driven through East Saint Louis, Compton, South Central.  Just normal people going about their business and I'm white as a ghost.

The White Trash areas of Thailand are Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket & Chiang Mai.

I'm sure you'll fit in if you make an effort mate, crikey ?

"The White Trash areas of Thailand are Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket & Chiang Mai".

Rubbish and nonsense, have you ever been to Thailand!

You heard wrong.

When it comes to the Mountains North.. So call Golden Triangle the last thing these guys are going to worry is a Farang with a few baht in their pocket. The Thai military doesn't even venture up there you might have a better chance of winning the lottery than running up on their stash.

Guess there are dodgy areas of every city in Thailand, just as there are dodgy areas of every city anywhere. In Pattaya the beach road late at night is one such area. I wouldn't walk around Bangkok's Klong Toey at night either. Late at night on beaches like at Koh Tao and Koh Phangan are also risky. As others have pointed out rural areas down the deep south at night are very dangerous. 

Of course the common factor with all these dodgy areas is "late at night". One really needs to be careful walking around dark areas late at night.

16 hours ago, FlorC said:

Now here is a more specific question : Next month I'll be arriving at night at MoChit busstation . I want to stay there 'till the morning busses start driving ... will I get robbed there with my bags ?

I seriously doubt it. Just figure our a way to keep your eyes on your bags. Or better yet, get a nearby room for 600 baht a night.