Phuket Gov slashes accidental death target by more than half

rooster59

Kritsada Mueanhawong

1_2016121693412460_YlLzUIeemFlDXxchPkivzugBzgrZgaUFLgEfpjJb_jpeg.jpeg

More than 250 people from 12 nations competed in Phuket Surf Life Saving Competition 2016 held at Patong Beach on December 10. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: Safety on the roads and waterways in and around Phuket is a "top priority" for the high season, Phuket Governor Chokchai Dejamornthan has declared, as is customary at provincial hall this time of year. 

In a meeting with police, disaster prevention officials and public health department heads on December 7, Governor Chokchai set a target of less than 50 deaths in the province for next year, starting by implementing 'strict safety measures' on land and sea before the end of the year.

Reducing road accidents is a priority, said the governor, adding that there were many factors to take into account, but drunk driving was the most common cause of road deaths and so a province-wide anti-drunk-driving 'campaign' would be launched ahead of the festive season.

Gov Chokchai also recited the decades old call for a 'renewed effort' to make all motorcyclists wear crash helmets when on the roads.

According to the latest statistics from the provincial health department, 114 people were killed in accidents in Phuket between January and October this year; 80 per cent of them motorcycle collisions and 84 per cent of the victims male.

Full story:  http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-Gov-slashes-accidental-death-target-more/65998?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-12-17

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

According to the latest statistics from the provincial health department, 114 people were killed in accidents in Phuket between January and October this year; 80 per cent of them motorcycle collisions and 84 per cent of the victims male.

One way to cut accident statistics is to misquote them: The previous death statistic given was 144.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Only time will tell. I must say he seems to be one of the more proactive governors that I have come across. Even half is to many or even half of half. I guess believing in the afterlife makes Thai drivers more prone to take chances. They believe in do overs. 

They're not maximum speed limits, they're advisory speed limits.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/mandatory-speed-limit-on-main-phuket-road-is-not-mandatory-51547.php

Yes, that is what was said.
I'm wondering though what will happen if they start with radar on those roads.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

30 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, that is what was said.
I'm wondering though what will happen if they start with radar on those roads.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Good grief, that would be a massacre!! 

Every time the radar dish swept around it would wipe even more motorbikes off the road!

What idiot thought of that?!! :sleepy:

6 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Only time will tell. I must say he seems to be one of the more proactive governors that I have come across. Even half is to many or even half of half. I guess believing in the afterlife makes Thai drivers more prone to take chances. They believe in do overs. 

I  take it you were being sarcastic-all he has done so far is churn out the same old rhetoric as the past five Govs ( all he had to do was dust off the same old Press Release).

Jaw jaw but no war, war.

3 hours ago, Psimbo said:

I  take it you were being sarcastic-all he has done so far is churn out the same old rhetoric as the past five Govs ( all he had to do was dust off the same old Press Release).

Jaw jaw but no war, war.

I bow to your comment your closer to him than I am up in Chiang Mai. Governors do seem to be a rare species here in Thailand not unlike the Dodo bird. I was beginning to think it was an honorary post. Somebody has to make the SB's to throw I guess.  

I am constantly amazed that some public figure seems to think that by simply making an announcement the problem will be solved. The main problem is that they do not follow through to see if the minions are actually complying with positive measures.