Should I buy a new Ford Ecosport

SWEYNE67

hi ... i'm considering buying a new Ford Ecosport. Have checked other options like Honda HRV and Mazda CX3 but they are too expensive. My big concern about the Ford  is the problem many buyers have experienced worldwide re the dodgy powershift gearbox ... have the powershift problems been resolved on Thai Ecosports? ... Can't get any answers from Ford ... any help pls ...

Well like the Fiesta it has the 6-Speed Powershift.

We have had the fiesta 18 months now and no problems.

Have a look at Austrailian Ford Forum..you might need a VPN. I thought after the kates TCM  software.

Ask the seller if there is still a 10 year warranty on parts of the gearbox. Whatever  I  would take out PPP ...

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

It's by far the worst Ford made here. Tiny front seats, cheap plastics (as bad as Toyota) and ergonomically suspect. The facelifted version that isn't here yet is supposed to be a significant improvement over the Mk1.

Quite a bit about the 'facelift 2017' on the internet. Maybe even be a choice of engines ... have been told that Thais are not keen on the 'tiny' 3 cyl engine...in the Fiesta though.

If you are not desperate I would wait for the Bangkok Motor Show ... end of next March.

Edited by JAS21

Quite a bit about the 'facelift 2017' on the internet. Maybe even be a choice of engines ... have been told that Thais are not keen on the 'tiny' 3 cyl engine...in the Fiesta though.

If you are not desperate I would wait for the Bangkok Motor Show ... end of next March.

True. Thais prefer mediocrity.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

Nope they havent fixed the problem and its world wide, id steer clear of a Ford and while your at it a GM car too, as for Ford a good friend of mine who's company that she works for are contracted to Ford she personally has been working over time handling the complaints there in BKK for Thai clients mainly on the issue you just mentioned.....there is very little on the horizon at present, she is rather stressed as she has no answer for the aggravated owners...

• Like 1

Checked out the Honda BRV...

good points - price ok and good boot space

bad points - from the side just looks like a slightly taller Honda Mobilio...

The Ford is still top of my wanted list but will check out next years motor shows and try and find out when the transmission problems have really been fixed.

It's funny how the bigger Flords are far less trouble for the owners than the smaller eco Flords are.

Back in Australia I am driving a Flord Territory with a 4L six engine that sucks fuel like an old 5.8L engine!

And if the low fuel light comes on the LHF window won't go down and the rear window wiper won't work either!

• Like 1

This might be slightly off topic but after buying new Toyota's for more than 30 years both in Australia and Thailand and having no problems plus great service, four months ago I bought a new Ford Everest Titanium in Chiang Mai

I am happy with the car but the after sales service has been appalling.

It took an email to the US to get any action and if you want a handbook you have to download the several hundred pages from the internet.

Perhaps in other provinces they understand the meaning of the words "customer service".

Checked out the Honda BRV...
good points - price ok and good boot space
bad points - from the side just looks like a slightly taller Honda Mobilio...
The Ford is still top of my wanted list but will check out next years motor shows and try and find out when the transmission problems have really been fixed.

I'm in a similar situation to you. I've had a Honda jazz for 10 years, never any problems and good service from Honda. I like the look of the eco sport but would prefer it with the eco boost engine.

My preference is probably now leaning towards the BRV. I think it looks ok and the Honda service is good. I know two people with eco sports and they both complain about Ford service and also about it being a noisy ride in the cabin. I have driven one and found it ok. I'm not interested in spending loads more money on a car for the Thai roads. I've had a truck before and don't want another truck.
  • Like 1

The Eco sport has the same gear as the Focus and Fiesta, I had a Focus and the gear box clutch system gave up after 3 years. The clutch system with these "cheaper" gear boxes are dry type with two clutches, one for every second gear, so for the first gear there is one and then another for the second gear and for the third gear the same clutch as for the first gear and so on. Trouble with the dry type is they need just the same maintenance as any normal dry type clutch, with replacement of friction parts on a regular basis.  These gear boxes are not like the standard automatic gear box which just keeps on functioning for years and years with little maintenance, however more fuel consumption.

The wet type clutches used on the Ranger and Everest are more costly but lower maintenance. I bought a Ranger after dumping the Focus and I am very happy with it, a lot of space inside for the family and quality throughout, for a very good price. Best car I have ever had.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

This might be slightly off topic but after buying new Toyota's for more than 30 years both in Australia and Thailand and having no problems plus great service, four months ago I bought a new Ford Everest Titanium in Chiang Mai

It took an email to the US to get any action and if you want a handbook you have to download the several hundred pages from the internet.

Perhaps in other provinces they understand the meaning of the words "customer service".

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Toyota has the best service here and you will never find a place here where they don't know how to work on it.  I drove Fords in the US, but I am afraid of the service performance and availability here.

I have a guy in my small village in Issan that works on my Toyota and he can see my entire service record in his computer. He told me that for my next oil change I should change the serpentine belt, he said this will cost 3000 more baht. That would be at least 6000 baht in the US.

Right now the Mazda 3 is on sale at zero percent interest. Why not use their money for a number of years, especially if you have the baht to buy it outright. Just a thought. Personally I am buying a Toyota Corolla Altis. Strangely they told me they only sell the stick shift to taxi drivers.

Hi again,

A word of clarification which I forgot in last post: my Ranger has a conventional 6 speed torque converter transmission and so does the new Focus we have on order.  Have had no problems with the Ranger transmission; the shifting is very smooth and unobtrusive in most instances.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

Right now the Mazda 3 is on sale at zero percent interest. Why not use their money for a number of years, especially if you have the baht to buy it outright. Just a thought. Personally I am buying a Toyota Corolla Altis. Strangely they told me they only sell the stick shift to taxi drivers.

Still at 0% as per the Motor Expo offer then.  My understanding at the show was that they don't have any 5-Door ones left and won't have anymore as the facelift is out soon ...you have the same info?

8 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I bought my second new Toyota in 2008 and it had a dodgy AC system that leaked out the refrigerant within a week. I took it to the dealer near my home (Sakeo) to get it fixed after 5 days we go to pick it up and I can't move the shift selector without using the small button(re-assembly mistake). I pointed this out to the service desk and the manager said no problem just push the button every time you shift <deleted>! Luckily my wife lost it on him and when she cooled down they kept  it for another day to fix it. In the end they put in a new AC system low and behold it still leaked.

So I took it to the showroom in Bangkok where we purchased it  a month earlier and they had a crack at fixing the AC, yup you guessed it they didn't fix the leak either.

Next attempt was at the showroom on Ram Intra where they kept it for 2 days and said they found the problem, nope after 10 days the AC stopped working again. 

Finally I decide to give B-Quik a shot at fixing it and they did it LOL it took a third party to show up 3 Toyota dealers.

Morale of the story is that even Toyota can give crap service. I own a Mitsubishi and a Ford too honestly Ford so far is the only dealer I have no complaints about. Don't get me started on Hua Hin Mitsubish @%$@%$&&@!

• Like 1

On 18/12/2559 at 5:19 PM, ALCOLLOP said:

Hi there/. ALCOLLOP

I bought a Ecosport Trend model in 2014 - still going strong (love everyday) still when i drive it! best decision i made from a vois to Ecosport model. Powershift ok 6 speed very good (quicker acceleration than my vois upto speed).

Now nearly 2 and half years old, no problems so far - you need a good dealer? mine is Phetkasem Ford, Bangkae! - excellent service and help in anyway (nothing is to much trouble for them!).

They clean, wax, mop and polish my suv every 3 months (400 baht)  2/3 hr service - better than i could ever do! (great)

I upgraded from new to leather seats (9k) very good, plus lots of extras in deal! and 5 year warranty inc. (my deal)

I use gasohol 91 fuel best - seems same power as benzine, tried E20 seemed loss of power difference and worse consumption than 91

Seems like you are set on Ecosport -  buy a suv that you want? not others?

New upgrade model on the way soon? maybe late next year? nobody can tell me for sure with sync 3 (would be nice) can link gps map onto display screen.

For the price range -Trend model suited us! don't need sunroof, push button start etc (maybe another 80k) difference Titanium model.

Would like new 1 litre engine (turbo) but cannot run with powershift model yet? (maybe turbo problem in hot country in Thailand though) - i think they are holding it back till later? as Fiesta has both now!

hope this helps you (happy Ecosport owner)

cheers

Edited by Martinpeter

On 19/12/2016 at 10:44 AM, AlQaholic said:

The Eco sport has the same gear as the Focus and Fiesta, I had a Focus and the gear box clutch system gave up after 3 years. The clutch system with these "cheaper" gear boxes are dry type with two clutches, one for every second gear, so for the first gear there is one and then another for the second gear and for the third gear the same clutch as for the first gear and so on. Trouble with the dry type is they need just the same maintenance as any normal dry type clutch, with replacement of friction parts on a regular basis.  These gear boxes are not like the standard automatic gear box which just keeps on functioning for years and years with little maintenance, however more fuel consumption.

The wet type clutches used on the Ranger and Everest are more costly but lower maintenance. I bought a Ranger after dumping the Focus and I am very happy with it, a lot of space inside for the family and quality throughout, for a very good price. Best car I have ever had.

Owners of Porches and Audis with the dual clutch system also complain about the same issues that Fiesta owners do...

• Like 1

And to think my other car 42 years old with a bog standard 3 speed changes gear smoothly up or down and by reading a few books and googles you can actually adjust and fix things yourself.

All these double clutches, traction controls might be good idea for F1 cars but in my mind car companies love them,

A. as a marketting tool.

B. as a way of gouging more money out of a gullible public.ĺ

• Like 1