Taking your own beer into a bar?

cheapskatesam

Far as walking down the street clutching a beer, I guess I do recall doing that, vaguely, maybe once in my youth.  Being a Yank from Kalifornia, I wouldn't of done it in my home city with all its stifling Acts, laws and municipal regulations.  It's the "brown bag" stigma, generally associated with folks who are down on their luck and require alcohol for breakfast to settle the shakes. 

So sure, it was likely seen as a fun novelty, because we could.  But I was sufficiently indoctrinated, it just felt too desperate, and I'm capable of walking around without looking like a junkie who needs to main line beer.   Besides, I like my beer cold (preferably without ice cubes in a glass), so walking around with a sweating bottle/can of beer, getting progressively warmer in my hand and ambient, tropical weather.....:bah:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/18/2016 at 4:35 PM, Rob13 said:

Not a problem and carry your own snacks in too.

Perhaps you could select a girl and have some 'activity' in the corner and when the owner says 'you have to pay an off fee' you respond with 'but I didn't take her away so surely I don't have to pay an off fee'.

And perhaps you could bring a bag of laundry with you and say 'when you do the laundry for the bar needs can you just add a few items of my laundry, overall the electricity used for the washing machine will be the same'.

8 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Far as walking down the street clutching a beer, I guess I do recall doing that, vaguely, maybe once in my youth.  Being a Yank from Kalifornia, I wouldn't of done it in my home city with all its stifling Acts, laws and municipal regulations.  It's the "brown bag" stigma, generally associated with folks who are down on their luck and require alcohol for breakfast to settle the shakes. 

So sure, it was likely seen as a fun novelty, because we could.  But I was sufficiently indoctrinated, it just felt too desperate, and I'm capable of walking around without looking like a junkie who needs to main line beer.   Besides, I like my beer cold (preferably without ice cubes in a glass), so walking around with a sweating bottle/can of beer, getting progressively warmer in my hand and ambient, tropical weather.....:bah:

I rarely walk down the street clutching a beer.  In April or May though on a smokin' hot day it has happened but they sure don't last very long.  I don't particularly like sitting in loud, smokey bars and I do prefer a Dark Beer Lao over others by far.  If I'm out shopping or running errands I will grab a cold DBL and discreetly drink it out side, mostly unnoticed I think.

I get a kick out of the tourists rambling around beach road with the big Beer Chang in hand or attempting to cross the street holding it up to traffic.

I'm easily entertained...

2 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

Ok guy's you can all calm down i have scrapped the idea. I'll just stick to drinking loads of chang at my hotel before going out and hunting down the 45baht beer bars

Sounds like the perfect concept for a massive intake of alcohol. If that going to be a perfect holliday is not for sure. Many people tried that strategy and failed miserable.

21 hours ago, quandow said:

Just as acceptable as five guys walking into a bar, ordering one beer and five straws.

Well that is exactly the routine for the Indian Rope Trick other than not even bothering with the straws and 'er 4 rather than 5 heroes.

Edited by SheungWan

On 12/22/2016 at 6:56 PM, cheapskatesam said:

Ok guy's you can all calm down i have scrapped the idea. I'll just stick to drinking loads of chang at my hotel before going out and hunting down the 45baht beer bars

Only Trolls go out of their way to cite Chang beer specifically.  Real cheap charlies consider that top shelf.  When you get here, locate a Family Mart and ask the guys sat outside on the concrete table, they'll tighten you up in no time.   If you can save 1 Baht per day, you'll have enough to splash out on a large Chang by the end of the month, or monkey balls on a stick for 20 Baht and have change left over.  Woo Hoo!  Cheers! :drunk:

I was out for a drink with a thai lady and we had about six large beers between us , she asked for the bill and it was about 600 Baht . I gave my friend six hundred Baht to pay  , she walked across the road to 7/11, bought six large beers for 300 Baht , walked back into the bar and gave them "back" to the bar owner and kept the other 300 Baht .

She told the bar owner that she had only "borrowed" the beers and she was now giving them back

Very widespread practice in China.  Univ students carry cases of beer into the restaurant, then order plates of food and drink their own.  Univ teachers carry in new bottles of 'bai jiu', (a white spirit, rather like kerosine) all wrapped up pretty, and drink thru the nite.  I have never seen a restaurant complain or attempt to deny these bottle carriers entrance.

The overriding thing about China is the population and competition for money.  If any restaurant denied alcohol carry-in they would soon be out of business.  Too many shops accepting the practice means all must comply, or go broke. 

Same goes for carry-in food, generally.  I have seen signs at MCD which tell us 'no outside food/drink' but this is ignored by all.

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

I was out for a drink with a thai lady and we had about six large beers between us , she asked for the bill and it was about 600 Baht . I gave my friend six hundred Baht to pay  , she walked across the road to 7/11, bought six large beers for 300 Baht , walked back into the bar and gave them "back" to the bar owner and kept the other 300 Baht .

She told the bar owner that she had only "borrowed" the beers and she was now giving them back

That would be Cheap Charlene. She wants to buy in the 7-11? Good. Now what exactly gives her the justification for using an establishment's services other than angling for a freebie?

Edited by SheungWan

4 hours ago, jobin said:

Very widespread practice in China.  Univ students carry cases of beer into the restaurant, then order plates of food and drink their own.  Univ teachers carry in new bottles of 'bai jiu', (a white spirit, rather like kerosine) all wrapped up pretty, and drink thru the nite.  I have never seen a restaurant complain or attempt to deny these bottle carriers entrance.

The overriding thing about China is the population and competition for money.  If any restaurant denied alcohol carry-in they would soon be out of business.  Too many shops accepting the practice means all must comply, or go broke. 

Same goes for carry-in food, generally.  I have seen signs at MCD which tell us 'no outside food/drink' but this is ignored by all.

Except that here this is not about people ordering food and bringing their own drink (though some of us can remember Hollywood Disco where one could bring in bottles of whisky and pay for use of glasses, ice, etc). This is about full-on Cheap Charliedom and the myriad justifications.

54 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

Not that i go there much... but common enough in Walking street, to see people drinking their 7/11 beers whilst standing /leaning against some venues with live music..... then again these bars charge anything from 150 baht up !!

Can't believe this topic has gone 5 pages !!

Street People Of The Falang Tribe always have their reasons. Going halfway across the world to end up on the pavement clutching a bottle. Class.

Edited by SheungWan

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

Classy bird.  When you guys getting married? 

Wedding reception party will be BYOB.  LOL.

Edited by 55Jay