Taking your own beer into a bar?

cheapskatesam

7 hours ago, Grubster said:

I was in the US Armed forces and never saw this happen, nor have I ever seen it happen anywhere else in America.  I have however brought my own brand of booze or beer and given it to the bar and let them sell it back to me. Most Yanks leave a tip too. Do you Charlie.

They wont try it in the States cos they know it is a nono.They try to push it on the locals because thats what they are trained to do.Thai's will have non of it.No,i don't tip,why should I.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Does BigC let you break up a 6 pack and drink a few of them right in the store?  Or 7/11?

Actually they do, as strange as it may seem. I´ve seen dudes in Bangkok drink a beer or to from the shopping cart while shopping. As long as they save the can and pay for it, nobody seems to care to much. 7-11 I believe can be harder due to the size differens. LOL

1 hour ago, Saastrajaa said:

Why would he ask a question like this? To get reactions like yours (and much stronger ones too), which rightfully address the fact that he (the OP) is a total douchebag, and then (probably) act outraged that people would call him out on his douchbaggery.  There's a name for this approach to posting on a forum: it's called trolling.

There is a little troll in us all. LOL However maybe the OP is going to be the next one that go berserk in the bar area just because somebody don´t let his steal the bottle.

4 hours ago, wump said:

This whole discussion is ridiculous. At least for Pattaya, the above is true in 95% of places (night clubs excluded). Just go in, order another drink and if you wanna be really nice try to even finish your walking beer before the new one arrives... or at least finish it within the first ten minutes or so. I never had any bar owners giving me a hard time about this (farangs included) as long as I order another one right away and don't take ages to consume the old beer, so they can see I am not taking advantage of their kindness.

It's really just common sense guys.

No it is common sense NOT to drink drinks from outside, just finish them before you enter. I stopped loads of people bringing their own booze. Most decent places do.

I'm not trolling.. i'm thinking of ways to save money on my next trip in January whilst still having the same quality of holiday as last time. 

Not cheapskate.. just smart thinking. If i was a cheap charlie i'd stay at home in my hotel and drink 7/11 Chang 

I figure.. if i can buy a 7/11 chang and take it with me in my pocket.. then walk into a bar .. buy one of their rip off beers at 80baht.. and be able to have my cheap one at 40 baht (??) i'd be paying 120baht for 2 beers in a nice beer bar 

I shall be making a trip report thread with lots of photos so you pretentious high-roller lot can rip the piss out of me and feel good.. and the cheap bastards amongst us (loads on this forum) can get some value 

In the late 80's I bought strong beer from Foodland in Pat Pong. Could also buy drugs from the Pharmacy in it that were banned in the late 90's. We'd sit outside and have a great time, then once tanked up after 3 or 4 large ones(and it was stronger then than beer Chang,  re 8%), we'd walk into the bars and order a bottle of coke, topping it up with out own Sang Thip whisky(kuat baen). 

3 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

I shall be making a trip report thread with lots of photos so you pretentious high-roller lot can rip the piss out of me and feel good.. and the cheap bastards amongst us (loads on this forum) can get some value 

Please please please feel free not to bother. There's cheapskates then there's you. So another trip in January when was it you were last over oct/nov? Must have a fair bit of dosh to be able to afford two trips in as many months. Pray tell us were you are staying we could meet up so you can buy us a drink. Ps 80 bht for a wet your being robbed 50 bht a bottle on soi 6/7/8 during happy 12 hrs. Then buy 6 just before happy hour finishes to keep you going. 

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Please please please feel free not to bother. There's cheapskates then there's you. So another trip in January when was it you were last over oct/nov? Must have a fair bit of dosh to be able to afford two trips in as many months. Pray tell us were you are staying we could meet up so you can buy us a drink. Ps 80 bht for a wet your being robbed 50 bht a bottle on soi 6/7/8 during happy 12 hrs. Then buy 6 just before happy hour finishes to keep you going. 

ill keep that in mind i never really go to those sois.

I'm a cheapskate but i'm not poor and i can afford £450 plane tickets 

7 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

I'm not trolling.. i'm thinking of ways to save money on my next trip in January whilst still having the same quality of holiday as last time. 

Not cheapskate.. just smart thinking. If i was a cheap charlie i'd stay at home in my hotel and drink 7/11 Chang 

I figure.. if i can buy a 7/11 chang and take it with me in my pocket.. then walk into a bar .. buy one of their rip off beers at 80baht.. and be able to have my cheap one at 40 baht (??) i'd be paying 120baht for 2 beers in a nice beer bar 

You want to enjoy a "nice" beer bar without supporting the owner and staff who make it available for your enjoyment, keep the lights and music on and serve up a few single mothers from Issan for you to feel up.   So 80 baht is not rip off.  And you're not smart.  You're just a lousy cheapskate.  A douche bag.  And a troll.  Congratulations!  :clap2:  LOL. 

Edited by 55Jay

14 hours ago, smotherb said:

Daylight and sitting in a hotel lobby sipping on the beer I've been carrying since three bars ago; can I ask for a discount from the working girls leaving the hotel?

I have no idea how you could make a beer last that long. Do they sell them in 5 Litre bottles ?

7 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

Yes and don't forget to ask the bar to change the warm beer you have in your pocket for a COLD one.

23 hours ago, johnarno said:

US. Servicemen do it all the time, buy their beer from 7/11 and take it into a bar. I saw that happen once when the fleet was in, a crowd of Yanks walked into a go go bar in Walking Street, the boss was English and he promptly threw them all out.

What monumental crap.  You claim to have once seen some guys do it, and suddenly it's "US Servicemen" and "all the time".   Sure. OK.  Right.  Thanks for the input.  :saai: 

It happens - not so much - some nationalities possibly more prone to try it than others, but probably has more to do with state of inebriation and entitlement mentality than with nationality.

9 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

It's fine. You can also save on hotel fees by taking your own camp bed and sleeping in the lobby. Walking in to the buffet breakfast and helping yourself is an added bonus.

Why take a camp bed, lobby chairs are usually very comfortable.

I know of a bar that had a pool table for the customers. There was no charge for playing. Two Indians came in and brought a big bottle of Coke with them. They were playing free pool and then had the nerve to ask for glasses and ice. All went well for them until the boss found out. Needless to say, they were no longer welcome in that bar.

15 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

let somebody else take a picture when they throw you out and you land in the gutter, you will have a new story to post too

I do quite often. Grabbed a beer from my fridge and wandered to the local  bar. Sometimes stopping to speak to neighbours. Usually a third left and it gives the staff time to get me a replacement and they keep the empty. I have also drunk my own  wine but expect to pay corkage. No big deal 

All these posters who claim they take beer into bars,especially the ones who think they are ultra clever,should be aware.How many times do you cheapskates think you can get away with it? The bar owners on the soi's arent stupid.They are a little fraternity,who tell all the other owner's about you,what you look like and your modus operandi.How long before you run out of bars,by doing this.Soon,if you live in Patts you will have to get a taxi to Rayong,to get a drink! Dont be fooled,these guys that own bars in Pattaya didnt get here by being rubes.They are normally very astute,tough guys,we had two bars. Do you think i got the respect and like of my staff and customers by being a pussy? Also,many of the bar owners are now very worried about staying in business due to the lack of Tourists,the Junta,and,and martial law.Some are in a constant state of worry and edginess. if they catch you taking the piss,what do you think that the sentence and the harshness of it will be? So,all you light hearted cheepies.Just be aware that you are not dealing with your local friendly,European landlord.You are robbing some very hard men.But go ahead,just check up on your health insurance.

17 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

You should have quit while you were ahead.

"I figure.. if i can buy a 7/11 chang and take it with me in my pocket.. then walk into a bar .. buy one of their rip off beers at 80baht.. and be able to have my cheap one at 40 baht (??)"   You can't be serious!?

Been coming here since 1971 US military retired here about 3 years ago.  Remember this, most of these bartenders and waitresses are living "hand to mouth."  Poverty is a real thing.  Quite frankly I don't know how they do it when you calculate what the average Thai is making in wages.

If you want a cheap beer, why not get it at 7/11 and go sit and relax at the beach. Singha is 39 bhat.  My choice Dark Beer Lao 59 bhat which only one bar I know of stocks it, So's behind the Avenue mall.

I sometimes sit with the motorcycle guys and bullshit with them and try to practice my Thai.  They get a kick out of a farang sitting down in the middle of them and it's always very chill and quite a different experience than most.

No offense but IMHO I don't see any high-roller types ripping you.  Try and support the locals a little.  Most really are quite poor.  To expect service in a bar from any of the waitresses or bartenders while bringing in your own drinks, "in your pocket" is rude,  arrogant, pretentious, low class and kinda crazy really. IMHO.

On the bright side there are 50 bhat beers to be had in many, many bars.  Think about it you can sit in Windmill Go Go off walking street "nurse" an ice cold Asahi draft for 50 bhat and see some of the best hard core totally nude antics in town.

Anyway I could go on.  I think you should just apologize for being so out of line and just take some of the good advice you've gotten here as well as the ball busting.  You definitely earned it...

21 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Exactly right. There are sufficient guys around who would (if they could get away with it) deliberately take a drink into a bar in order to average out the cost of the drink bought inside and outside.

18 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

So then another red bus turned up immediately! Yes loads of lumpens waving their dirty underwear around.