Poland: third day of ‘press freedom protests’ sees President Duda offer to mediate

webfact

Poland: third day of ‘press freedom protests’ sees President Duda offer to mediate

606x341_352724.jpg

WARSAW: -- A third day of protests has taken place against plans by Poland’s ruling Law and Justice Party (PIS) to restrict journalists’ access to parliamentary sessions.

Supporters of the PIS are also demonstrating in Warsaw, while opposition MPs are staging a sit-in in the plenary chamber of parliament until at least Tuesday (December 20).

President Andrzej Duda, who is aligned with the governing party, is holding talks with opposition leaders and has offered to mediate between the two sides.

Senate speaker Stanislaw Karczewski conceded changes were needed.

“The Law and Justice party and the speaker of the lower Chamber of Parliament Marek Kuchcinski each want to improve journalists’ working conditions. We all know that their working conditions are not the best, they are not good and require some adjustment, some changes.”

Opposition politicians and protesters claim the PIS is attempting to stifle press freedom.

The government, however, says it does not think the proposed measures are restrictive.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-19

It' s not [only] about freedom of press / journalists’ access to parliamentary sessions .
Newly elected government ruling on the way women should dress.

Polish lawmakers push on with near-total ban on abortion. Ruling PiS party committed to law banning most terminations and making maximum jail term for practitioners five years.

Edited by AGLV0121

Duda Duda catchy. Just tell em to go pound salt like Park in South Korea. She through her lawyers state they have no proof regardless of the fact that 100's of thousands stand outside protesting for weeks now. She has a popularity rating of about 4%. Politicians have no shame anymore. Once they sit on the throne of power its hard to unseat them. I am truly alarmed at how many other idiots of similar thinking/ilk exist in the world today. Even voting out of desperation gets you no where now days.  

5 hours ago, AGLV0121 said:

Polish lawmakers push on with near-total ban on abortion. Ruling PiS party committed to law banning most terminations and making maximum jail term for practitioners five years.

Wait till the Trump train gets on track. They are absolutely salivating when looking at Roe vs Wade. Kiss it and Planned Parenthood adios. I think by the end of his tenure you can kiss food stamps goodbye workfare hello. All the discombobulated or whatever Hillary called them will find out they bought a pig in a poke or a blanket or something. 

On 12/19/2016 at 5:56 AM, elgordo38 said:

Kiss it and Planned Parenthood adios. I think by the end of his tenure you can kiss food stamps goodbye workfare. 

Quite possible but all that so-called 'analysts' predicted so far has proven wrong :-/

1 hour ago, AGLV0121 said:

Quite possible but all that so-called 'analysts' predicted so far has proven wrong :-/

I am an armchair analyst an amateur a world watcher a pulse feeler an offal reader. The same party the GOP controls all 3 political posts. The GOP have gone on record saying they hate abortion, Planned Parenthood food stamps and embrace work for money and handouts to rich. All in my humble opinion. Lets sit down for coffee 4 years from now and discuss this. Lord willing I have that much time left. All things being equal debate my analysis. Prove to me that the GOP will play Santa Claus next Christmas. I think Scrooge will win out. 

Edited by elgordo38