Can anyone explain the METV in one shot?

Trying to flush out info on the METV and hoping someone can save me from having to sift through the 82-page thread about it. (I was looking for the static single-page explanations of the different visa types but looks like those are no longer available on this website?)

Questions:

1. Is it true that some embassies are issuing METV's with a validity period of 6 months, while others are issuing them with validity of 12 months?

2. If valid for 12 months, can the alloted 6 months of time in Thailand be used at any point over the course of a year (say, go to Thailand for Jan.-Feb. then leave for 2 months, return for May-June, leave for 3 months, return for Oct.-Nov., all on the same visa), or does it all have to be used within 6 months of the first entry date?

3. Is it true that some embassies require proof of employment as part of the METV application, while others do not?

4. Is it fair to say that the METV has the most variant application requirements, depending on issuing embassy, of any Thai visa type in history!?

Thanks very much to anyone who can help.

1. If a METV has been issued  that is valid for a year it was an error. The rules state they can only be issued with a validity of 6 months from the date of issue. You must do the last entry prior to the visa expires that is shown as the enter before date on the visa.

2. You can do as many entries as you want during the 6 months of its validity.

3/4. Most embassies and consulate will want proof of employment or proof of having your own business. Some will also issue them if you have proof you are retired.

What you  will need depends upon what the embassy or consulate in your home country or country of legal residence requires.

19 hours ago, dluek said:

4. Is it fair to say that the METV has the most variant application requirements, depending on issuing embassy, of any Thai visa type in history!?

There is some variation of rules for all visa applications depending on which Thai embassy/consulate you use and what your nationality is.

That could be said for every country. Applying for a tourist visa to any western country at their embassy in UK with a UK passport is bound to be quite a different process than applying for a tourist visa to some western country at an embassy in Ethiopia if you have an Indian passport. Different rules and vetting procedures apply whether or not the applicant feels they are fair or rational.

Following on from what Suradit has written.  A Dutch friend tells me that this is the first time she has not been able to get a double entry visa from the Embassy in London.  I thought they were wiped out a good few years ago.  I couldn't get a 60 day visa from Paris this time until I furnished them with a document from my guest house saying I had a reservation with them.

Sorry I know the above is off topic.

On the other hand a friend easily gets a METV (from Paris) by showing he is retired with the required income.

39 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

A Dutch friend tells me that this is the first time she has not been able to get a double entry visa from the Embassy in London.  I thought they were wiped out a good few years ago.

Not years ago. Since November of last year when the METV became available.

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

There is some variation of rules for all visa applications depending on which Thai embassy/consulate you use and what your nationality is.

That could be said for every country. Applying for a tourist visa to any western country at their embassy in UK with a UK passport is bound to be quite a different process than applying for a tourist visa to some western country at an embassy in Ethiopia if you have an Indian passport. Different rules and vetting procedures apply whether or not the applicant feels they are fair or rational.

Thailand does not believe in making anything simple, different Thai Embassies will have different rules.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thailand does not believe in making anything simple, different Thai Embassies will have different rules.

If you ruled a country would you make the same rules for visitors from every nation?  I know I wouldn't.  

3. In my case, since i neither work nor I'm retired, the consulate accepted a bank statement with a balance above the 7000 Euro.

I added to the application form a personal letter were i explained that i have passive income and hence don't need to work. But that consulate I chose is known as a very friendly consulate. It might be different to other embassies /  consulates.

Good luck.

Edited by alocacoc

Double and triple entry tourist visas were eliminated on 15 November 2015 {If I recall correctly).

That was the same date a METV was first issued.

The METV was supposed to be the replacement for the previous double or triple entry tourist visas.

I obtained a double entry tourist visa with a 90 day validity in October 2015 and i was able to use that 2nd entry in December 2015 but i was not alllowed to get another double entry visa after November 2015.

i am trying to recall all this from memory, so my dates may be a bit off.

2 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

If you ruled a country would you make the same rules for visitors from every nation?  I know I wouldn't.  

No I would not, but different Thai Embassies and Immigration offices make up their own rules for people from the same nation.

Reading this forum, you see it all the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

No I would not, but different Thai Embassies and Immigration offices make up their own rules for people from the same nation.

Reading this forum, you see it all the time.

Well that lacks fairness and I can't support that.  I also don't like the way the US embassy treats Thais for the record.

15 hours ago, possum1931 said:

How do they treat Thais then? I am from the UK.

Extremely random dispersion of visas, no reason, no explanation no communication of any kind just a "Mai DaI" and outright rude behavior.  Philippines gets triple what Thais get annually in non-imm visas and a 26 times as many Imm visas.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/AnnualReports/FY2015AnnualReport/FY15AnnualReport-TableIV.pdf

• Like 1