Quality English TV here in CM?

LannaGuy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Many devices connect to the internet not only 'computers'. Tablets, phones, android boxes, etc etc.. 

To make life easy, and so its always there connected.. An android box connected to the TV with an hdmi cable is an easy solution. Which box can become a huge topic but 2000 - 4000 baht for higher end ones that can handle 4k resolution is a good guideline. 

The Minix box from Expat TV is excellent. I bought it through Expat TV when I joined.You can see it on their web site video.It was 4xxx baht can't recall.

I bought in with 365sport at the same time, again see web site.We did get someone to install.

Currently I pay 1200 b mth for both and when we go away for an extended time no need to pay just resume when you get back.We have 3 BB's 630 b per mth package which is enough and also for wi fi, tablet ,phone etc.

sorry John dont have a clue about motor cycle racing, only what I see on the streets of CM

17 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

An android box connected to the TV with an hdmi cable is an easy solution.

Er Yes I understand that.

But How does the Android Box "Pick UP' the 'Download' to transmit to the TV ?

john

My Android box was pre installed by someone for me

i even have looked Up and watched  Steptoe & Son

Rawhide

Wagon Trail

Plus quite a lot of other series

Movies

Plus many News stations from all over the world

All using the Internet

So no more paying for the TV Channels

All available plus heaps more

i dont watch TV anymore

1 minute ago, Lizard2010 said:

My Android box was pre installed by someone for me

i even have looked Up and watched  Steptoe & Son

Rawhide

Wagon Trail

Plus quite a lot of other series

Movies

Plus many News stations from all over the world

All using the Internet

So no more paying for the TV Channels

All available plus heaps more

i dont watch TV anymore

You don't watch TV anymore?  You're watching TV channels, but not on cable, right?

On 12/19/2016 at 10:18 PM, Greenside said:

ThaiExpatTV doesn't have to go through a computer.  By far the most convenient option is the set top box which, if you buy it from them comes ready to plug in.  The interface is excellent (even children and wives can use it - try getting them to navigate through Kodi addons!) and the 10 day catch up service works really well.

To the OP:  You may be living in the past if you think the BBC has good drama any longer.  From time something good comes along but almost all the channels rehash endless repeats.

I'd suggest he  wait a bit and search www.youtube.com for the content he wants on a Brit site.

51 minutes ago, Duvidl said:

You don't watch TV anymore?  You're watching TV channels, but not on cable, right?

They are there

But i dont watch them

Its all too depressing what goes on

Just live my life with out what goes on

As we can not change what goes on including here

just have to grin and bear it

2 hours ago, jonwilly said:

An android box connected to the TV with an hdmi cable is an easy solution.

Er Yes I understand that.

But How does the Android Box "Pick UP' the 'Download' to transmit to the TV ?

john

So the android box is connected to the internet.. 

The video you wish to watch is 'steamed' on the internet.. 

If you have an account with someone like iLikeHD or similar.. You pay them a fee, for access to the streams (over the internet)... If you're a little bit more technical you can use kodi to access pirate streams, with varying degrees of success and reliability.. 

Personally I watch almost no live TV.. I have a BT sport account from the UK and that does cover any live MotoGP and UFC which is all I might want live. 

So, you've got to have a reliable internet connection for Expat TV to work, right?  One of the few good things about Truevisions is that it's satellite TV and not tied into whether your internet is working. 

The news that True is losing all the HBO-related channels has just about caused me to pack it in with True.  Are there any other legitimate ways to get the HBO suite of channels here with a full robust offering of other movie and news channels delivered from a source that doesn't depend on your internet working?  i.e. satellite or cable in Chiang Mai? 

15 minutes ago, NancyL said:

So, you've got to have a reliable internet connection for Expat TV to work, right?  One of the few good things about Truevisions is that it's satellite TV and not tied into whether your internet is working. 

The news that True is losing all the HBO-related channels has just about caused me to pack it in with True.  Are there any other legitimate ways to get the HBO suite of channels here with a full robust offering of other movie and news channels delivered from a source that doesn't depend on your internet working?  i.e. satellite or cable in Chiang Mai? 

I could count on one hand the number of times my internet has gone down in 9 years. With Expat TV/365 sport we have 3 BB's cheapest package,631 baht per mth runs Expat TV/365 Sports with no problems inc wi fi. I think the price for TRUE considering what you get is far too high and the signal goes down if you have a satellite and it rains.

The days of Satellite TV may well be over.

TRUE, if you read Bangkok media today are having many problems and people are taking up well publicised alternatives.

I can't offer other alternatives,not tech minded, but I am sure on the Thai Visa communications forum there's loads of info

3 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

I could count on one hand the number of times my internet has gone down in 9 years. With Expat TV/365 sport we have 3 BB's cheapest package,631 baht per mth runs Expat TV/365 Sports with no problems inc wi fi. I think the price for TRUE considering what you get is far too high and the signal goes down if you have a satellite and it rains.

The days of Satellite TV may well be over.

TRUE, if you read Bangkok media today are having many problems and people are taking up well publicised alternatives.

I can't offer other alternatives,not tech minded, but I am sure on the Thai Visa communications forum there's loads of info

It's not just the internet going down, but running slow that is a problem with TV that depends on getting service over the internet.  At first we used a set-top box that depended on having an internet connection and it spend much time buffering when we were trying to watch movies and news.  We finally packed it in and went with True.  Yeah, I know stuff can be downloaded, but I like the fact you don't have to plan with "real" TV -- you just turn it on and flip thru the channels.  No waiting for  buffering, no downloading, no deciding what to watch.  There's something good about discovering a movie you wouldn't otherwise watch and enjoying it.

From the first post in this thread the originator says

"I'm looking for an alternative that does NOT go through my computer and wondering if any of you have tried Thai Expat  TV or Expat Premium?"

I am no expert and from what I am slowly gathering I do need an Internet connection.

I do not know what a Android Box is and thats why I asked

"Thanks for helping me but as I say I do not understand where an Android Box picks up the Digital Info from if it does not go through a computer."

So it's a computer connection, to Android Box, then HDMI cable to TV.

john

Thanks folks.

59 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

"I'm looking for an alternative that does NOT go through my computer and wondering if any of you have tried Thai Expat  TV or Expat Premium?"

I am no expert and from what I am slowly gathering I do need an Internet connection.

"Thanks for helping me but as I say I do not understand where an Android Box picks up the Digital Info from if it does not go through a computer."

john

Thanks folks.

The Android Box  can connect to the Internet from  your modem

Provided you pay for a reasonable connection, not just the cheapest

Either by WiFi Or Lan Cable

No need for the Computer to be used

1 hour ago, jonwilly said:

john

Thanks folks.

I also have had it with true visions rip off and have been looking at alternatives.

Also have very little idea of the workings of the magical android box etc etc, but found this informative vid explaining all about, at least one of the apparently good alternatives..

Like the guy in the vid says, i also have no connection with this service and have yet to subscribe, but will do so ASAP.

Take a look; 

"The Android Box  can connect to the Internet from  your modem

No need for the Computer to be used"

Thank You,

even thicko me can understand that straight forward statement.

john

27 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

"The Android Box  can connect to the Internet from  your modem

No need for the Computer to be used"

Thank You,

even thicko me can understand that straight forward statement.

john

And it can be via a cable or Wifi.

We successfully run 2 Android boxes (HiMedia from Lazada) via Wifi using a basic TOT package, have not yet found any need to upgrade.

We watch live sports, the latest movies,tv shows, most of the UK tv channels etc. And all free.

Best buy we ever made in relation to media entertainment.

11 hours ago, NancyL said:

Yes a solid reliable internet connection is a must have.. However I live in a village in the boonies and have a net connection that works it just fine.. 3 - 5 years ago it was a frustration, these days with 30 Mbit fiber getting even into villages its not hard to get a net connection reliable enough for it.. 

Edited by LivinLOS

10 hours ago, NancyL said:

Yeah, I know stuff can be downloaded, but I like the fact you don't have to plan with "real" TV -- you just turn it on and flip thru the channels.  No waiting for  buffering, no downloading, no deciding what to watch.  There's something good about discovering a movie you wouldn't otherwise watch and enjoying it.

I understand but after a while of 'on demand' viewing I simply have no interest in drip fed TV.. The only 2 exceptions are good international news streams in the case of a global event and live sports. 

Otherwise I simply wont download a series until the whole series in finished.. So I can binge watch it at my pace.. I have a NAS (networked hard disk) which has 100s of movies and 100s of TV shows complete.. Not only complete but categorized to genres, with meta data and cover art, all browseable by a tablet as a remote control (or even my phone) when I watch a shows episode on the living room TV, I can stop it and resume at the same location in the bedroom.. The bedroom system knows what I have watched or not watched in all the other locations.. I never have to pre plan watching as theres so much on there, I can just decide what I am in the mood for, advert free, pausable so I can mix a drink, and under my control. Its not only the fact that this is free (pirated) as a cost, I simply cant go back to being force fed entertainment on someone elses schedule. 

Its not even an either or choice.. You can use exactly the same hardware to stream either pirate or paid for services, to have scheduled TV piped in. I just dont like that style of distribution so dont focus on it. 

9 hours ago, happyas said:

I also have had it with true visions rip off and have been looking at alternatives.

Also have very little idea of the workings of the magical android box etc etc, but found this informative vid explaining all about, at least one of the apparently good alternatives..

For anyone wishing to do it.. Do it with quality components.. I cant count the times I have said I would help someone and they are having a sub par experience trying to use cheap under powered android boxes (often bought for 2000b and sold to them for many times that).. Using a bargain bin wifi access point given to them by thier Thai ISP.. No networked hard disk... And then wondering why its buffering resetting or stuttering. 

Good android boxes are easy to find now.. Even 4k compatible blazing fast ones with a good remote should cost no more than 3000b.. Get a really high end wifi access point (if you can have a wired connection even better), many recent high end access points will allow you to connect a USB hard disk to double up as a NAS (Network addressed storage.. AKA a network hard disk) and some will even do fancy things for advanced folks like run MySQL databases, handle torrenting for you, etc.. A powerful wifi access point becomes much more important when its feeding multiple streams around the home to many devices. 

With good hardware everything becomes that much more stable, fast, and user friendly. 

A little information for folk like me who need help.

I will be buying the Most capable (4Meg ?)  box I can and I am open to advice from people who know what they are talking about.

http://www.bestandroidtvbox.net/

https://www.android.com/intl/en_ca/tv/xiaomi-mi-box/

https://www.amazon.com/android-box/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aandroid box

john

To put it simply an Android box,is a small computer,you can do other things 

like surfing,emails,etc,just like a computer,so you need to pay for connection

from, TOT,3BB ect, the easiest setup for a new box is tvaddons.ag,download

it with the browser on the box,and it sets up its own version of KODI with 

several channels,so very easy ,you connect the Android box to Tv via HDMI

cable,available in various lengths,if you are streaming to your Tv, it is best

to use a RJ45 cable, from box to router,than use WiFi,works better.

I think the best place to buy a box is from LAZADA, they have several 

from 2K up,and you  can get it sent C.o.D, you can also purchase the 

cables you need there,some  boxes include HDMI cables.

regards worgeordie

Maybe of interest to someone thinking of buying a Android box....

For some years have had a Android box with Kodi installed, also have it on my old XP Laptop and W10 PC...  noticed loads of times it ran a lot better on my PC..[FX CPU + R9 Graphics card and 16 GB memory]   wondered if the size or CPU and Memory made a difference.. about 3 months ago bought [was a good deal at the time] a new android box = bigger CPU and Memory 64bit and yes it did make a big difference..

On 12/19/2016 at 8:18 AM, Greenside said:

ThaiExpatTV doesn't have to go through a computer.  By far the most convenient option is the set top box which, if you buy it from them comes ready to plug in.  The interface is excellent (even children and wives can use it - try getting them to navigate through Kodi addons!) and the 10 day catch up service works really well.

To the OP:  You may be living in the past if you think the BBC has good drama any longer.  From time something good comes along but almost all the channels rehash endless repeats.

Since the advent of The Sopranos, (The Guardian said it was the best TV drama ever made, so it's not just for Americans), the truly good stuff has come from HBO, Showtime (USA), Amazon, Netflix, etc.

Edited by Dustdevil

48 minutes ago, hml367 said:

My guess is that if many people change from any form of television in Thailand to streaming/internet type devices, there will be a lot more and longer threads on ThaiVisa about the new form of reception.

You maybe missed them but gradual acceptance of IPTV and streaming has been happening for years.. 

14 hours ago, NancyL said:

It's not just the internet going down, but running slow that is a problem with TV that depends on getting service over the internet.  At first we used a set-top box that depended on having an internet connection and it spend much time buffering when we were trying to watch movies and news.  We finally packed it in and went with True.  Yeah, I know stuff can be downloaded, but I like the fact you don't have to plan with "real" TV -- you just turn it on and flip thru the channels.  No waiting for  buffering, no downloading, no deciding what to watch.  There's something good about discovering a movie you wouldn't otherwise watch and enjoying it.

3 BB's cheapest package 20/4 mb at 630.10 baht per mth runs our Expat TV/Sports 365 package with never any buffering as does it for a few of my neighbours.This is in Hang Dong, in houses not apartments, in case that would make a difference.We can use the computer and tablet at the same time when required.

3BB also have other packages with more speed of course but to run Expat TV they are not required ,all indicated on their web site and more importantly our experience

59 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

You maybe missed them but gradual acceptance of IPTV and streaming has been happening for years.. 

My guess is based on the posts in this thread and questions some are posing. I think people will have trouble that is something that actually works as plug-and-play is supposed to work.

It is just an observation.