First time in Thailand. I need a visa exemption advice

Hello everyone,

I'm gonna start my first time ever trip in Christmas. I'll be getting a 30 days visa exemption and a day or two before it expires, I want to go Cambodia (Siem Reap) for a week. My understanding was I could go back to Thailand and get another 30 days exemption if I return by air. Therefore, I was considering entering Cambodia by bus. But I think there is new law which will be available by Dec 31 and I've got confused. Is my plan still valid or do I need to leave Thailand by air as well to get exemption. Or can I get my second exemption at all?

Thank you very much for your replies in advance!

2 minutes ago, thetruth revealer said:

Depending on your Nationality you would get another 15 or 30 days re-entering at land border for the 2. Visa Exempt Entry.

My nationality is one of 30/15 countries and because 15 days are not enough, I'll be returning by air to get 30 days. Can I get the second exemption just after 1 week? Also, if I buy the bus ticket for leaving Thailand after 30 days, would airline company accept that ticket as a proof that I won't be staying illegally in Thailand for 2 months?

It is unlikely the airline would accept a bus ticket in lieu of an outbound flight ticket. Depending on the airline, they might not ask for an outbound flight ticket anyway, but there is a considerable risk they will. I assume you are aware that tourist visas are free right now, and would avoid the issue altogether. Unless highly inconvenient, get a single entry tourist visa for your initial entry.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is unlikely the airline would accept a bus ticket in lieu of an outbound flight ticket. Depending on the airline, they might not ask for an outbound flight ticket anyway, but there is a considerable risk they will. I assume you are aware that tourist visas are free right now, and would avoid the issue altogether. Unless highly inconvenient, get a single entry tourist visa for your initial entry.

Thank you for pointing out the bus ticket problem. Unfortunately, applying to a visa is incredibly inconvenient for me. So I guess I have to go to Cambodia by plane.

3 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

You will have no problem with visa exempt stamps.

Although your airline might refuse you board without an an ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.

The new rules starts Jan 1st, only two visa exempts stamp per calendar year.

I think I have to buy a plane ticket to Cambodia and forget the bus option. Is the new rule applicable to entering by air? 

3 hours ago, abcc9 said:

I think I have to buy a plane ticket to Cambodia and forget the bus option. Is the new rule applicable to entering by air? 

A flight booked out of Thailand to Cambodia would satisfy the airline which you use for your initial flight into Thailand. Presumably you also would have a return ticket to your home to use for the end of your holiday.

The new rule regarding a maximum of two visa exempt entries per year apparently only applies to entering via a land border. Any time you enter the country using a visa exempt entry you can also get a 30 day extension of your permission to stay at any immigration office in Thailand if additional time in Thailand is needed or suits your travel plans.

The issue that you might face is with airlines, not immigrations. Some airlines may refuse to let you board if you don't have a visa (you plan on getting a visa exempt entry) and you don't have a flight out of the country booked. They don't want to get stuck having to fly you out in the highly unlikely chance that you weren't allowed entry to the Thailand. The airline you use for the first flight to Thailand might accept the ticket you have for your return home at the end of the 60 day holiday without the need for an air ticket to Cambodia. I assume you booked a return/round-trip ticket to use to get back home.You need to check with that airline to see if that satisfies their rules.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JXCutter said:

The advice that you can get a 30 day extension in country is incorrect.  It may be possible but improbable, you are most likely to get an additional 7 days.  I know this from first hand experience.

A 30 day extension of a visa exempt entry has been possible since August of 2014.

Not sure when you only got 7 days or why.

If you are an American and this is your first visa exempt entry you should not have a problem getting a 2nd visa exempt entry.

However, it is also possible to get a 30 day extension for your first  visa exempt entry at immigration in Chaengwattana in Bangkok.

You will need your passport, copies of the entry stamp and arrival card from your first entry into Thailand.

The photo shop down on the first floor wll do the required copies for 1 Baht a page.

The same shop will do the visa photos you eed for 100 Baht for 4 photos.

All that can be done in less than 10 minutes max.

The fee for this 30 day extension will be 1900 Thai Baht.

You will need to make the application and get a queue number.

When your queue number is called pay the fee an wait a few minutes until they call you again to pick up your pasport with your 30 day extension stamped in it.

The 30 day extension is automatically added on to the date of your original entry into Thailand so you lose no time in country.

As I said, if this is you first visa fre entry into Thailand, you should have no roblem getting an additional 30 day extension.

It is only those people who show 2 or 3 previous visa exempt entries into Thailand that sometimes are questioned and possibly are refused for getting another extension.

If you decide to get this extension you should wait until your last 15 days after your original entry into Thailand.

As I said at the beginning as a "first timer" you could also go to Cambodia, and most likely get a another  30 day visa exempt entry on return to Thailand.

Again it is only those that show a reoeated history of using visa exempt entries that may encounter poblems.

last year (2016) I I went to Vietnam to get a SETV, but the Thai consulate in Ho Chi Minh City was closed for a Vietnamese holiday. (Liberation Day).

My mistake, and I had to return to Thailand with a 30 day visa exempt entry

I later extended that visa exempt entry for 30 days for 1900 Baht at CW.

It was my first ever visa exempt entry.

It can be done and I did it.

9 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

A flight booked out of Thailand to Cambodia would satisfy the airline which you use for your initial flight into Thailand. Presumably you also would have a return ticket to your home to use for the end of your holiday.

The new rule regarding a maximum of two visa exempt entries per year apparently only applies to entering via a land border. Any time you enter the country using a visa exempt entry you can also get a 30 day extension of your permission to stay at any immigration office in Thailand if additional time in Thailand is needed or suits your travel plans.

The issue that you might face is with airlines, not immigrations. Some airlines may refuse to let you board if you don't have a visa (you plan on getting a visa exempt entry) and you don't have a flight out of the country booked. They don't want to get stuck having to fly you out in the highly unlikely chance that you weren't allowed entry to the Thailand. The airline you use for the first flight to Thailand might accept the ticket you have for your return home at the end of the 60 day holiday without the need for an air ticket to Cambodia. I assume you booked a return/round-trip ticket to use to get back home.You need to check with that airline to see if that satisfies their rules.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Yes, I have a return ticket to my home after 2 months. The thing is I may change my mind about Cambodia when I'm Thailand and I have a right to extent my visa exemption for another 30 days by paying the fee. If I explain this to airline, maybe they would accept it. If they don't, I have to buy a flight out of Thailand in the next 30 days, I guess. Also, I'm flying with Qatar Airlines via Doha Airport. Do you have any information/experience with them?

21 hours ago, abcc9 said:

My nationality is one of 30/15 countries and because 15 days are not enough, I'll be returning by air to get 30 days. Can I get the second exemption just after 1 week? Also, if I buy the bus ticket for leaving Thailand after 30 days, would airline company accept that ticket as a proof that I won't be staying illegally in Thailand for 2 months?

If you are going to be in Cambodia for a week anyway, why not consider getting a Thai Visa at the embassy there? It only took me a couple of days when I applied years ago. This would also afford you to travel back to Thailand anyway you like and not worry if they would let you back in again. . 

9 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

If you are going to be in Cambodia for a week anyway, why not consider getting a Thai Visa at the embassy there? It only took me a couple of days when I applied years ago. This would also afford you to travel back to Thailand anyway you like and not worry if they would let you back in again. . 

That's the thing though. I'm not 100% sure that I will be going to Cambodia. With the new information I have, I'm sure they'll let me enter the Kingdom even by land since it's going to be my first one. My only problem is the possibility of airline refusing me to board because I don't have a onward ticket in the next 30 days (Qatar Airlines). Do you have any information/experience with them?

56 minutes ago, steve187 said:

Qatar are very good, but you will need a ticket out within 30 days of arrival

Thank you very much. I think I will buy the cheapest flight as a proof of exit for the peace of mind. It's not a big loss anyway.

10 hours ago, abcc9 said:

Thank you very much. I think I will buy the cheapest flight as a proof of exit for the peace of mind. It's not a big loss anyway.

You are better off flying anyway. I went to SR a fortnight ago and looked at all the options before deciding how to travel. The flight is a lot more comfortable and hassle free and not a great deal more. I went with Thai Smile at 5000 baht return, be careful with Air Asia as there are additional charges during the booking. With Thai Smile a snack and checked baggage are included, bear in mind that you need checked baggage if you wish to bring any liquid back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

You are better off flying anyway. I went to SR a fortnight ago and looked at all the options before deciding how to travel. The flight is a lot more comfortable and hassle free and not a great deal more. I went with Thai Smile at 5000 baht return, be careful with Air Asia as there are additional charges during the booking. With Thai Smile a snack and checked baggage are included, bear in mind that you need checked baggage if you wish to bring any liquid back.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. Yes, Air Asia has endless add-ons; therefore, I always continue to the payment step to see the real price. I think I will fly. 

On 12/20/2016 at 10:22 AM, JXCutter said:

The advice that you can get a 30 day extension in country is incorrect.  It may be possible but improbable, you are most likely to get an additional 7 days.  I know this from first hand experience.

Not sure what was your case but your are wrong, basically. The first extension will be 30 days. If one already used this up then the next one will be only 7 days.

So, coming in to Thailand on visa exempt (or any other means) for 30 means that one can get another 30 days inside Thailand, and another 7 on top.its 67 days. 

Every extension will be 1900 baht, also the 7day one

Edited by byteHunter