Obtaining a marriage visa while working online for a company based outside Thailand

Hi, I would like to apply for 1 year extension of stay based on marriage (marriage visa), however, I'm not sure that due to my circumstances it will be possible. 

I currently work for a company based in England, it is possible for me to work online from anywhere I choose with an internet connection, I earn over 40,000 baht a month. I cannot obtain a Thai work permit as far as I'm aware as I don't technically "work in Thailand".

Would it be possible for me to obtain a marriage visa based on my monthly income or is it likely to be declined as the monthly income isn't actually earnt in Thailand?

Any help at all would be really appreciated.

Income to meet the financial requirements for the marriage extension does not have to be earned in Thailand. Get a letter from your UK employer stating the amount of salary or compensation you are being paid per month, take it to the British embassy or a British consulate in Thailand and, for a fee, get a certified affidavit confirming this income, then take this to your immigration office with your application for the marriage extension. Be sure not to say that you are working in Thailand.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 2

Thank you very much for your reply. That gives me some hope which I was losing after finding nothing on it and finding I don't really have many other options. I'll give it a go, for anyone else in the same situation I'll reply here again once I've got word back from my application but I don't plan on submitting until February.

An extension of stay based on marriage is not a Visa, it is a Permit stamp.

If you ever wish to leave Thailand and re-enter, you will need to purchase a re-entry permit to keep your marriage extension active.

You don't actually mention what type of Visa you are currently using to stay in Thailand, which could have a bearing on where and how you apply for a marriage extension.

As already stated, proof of income letters are applied for by post from the British Embassy (not in person).

They will accept bank statements, salary slips, or a letter from your employer as proof of income.

Technically you are working  from and in Thailand, even though it may be online, so never mention that to Immigration.

Edited by dentonian
  • Like 1

As mentioned the income to satisfy your marriage requirements can come from any source. But where I would feel a bit uneasy is since you are applying for a extension to stay based on marriage, and using income from an source outside of Thailand, it raises the question that if you don't leave Thailand, how are you able to earn this income without a work permit? 

Not saying they would check or even consider this. Not saying you are even breaking any law. Just saying it is easy for them to do if they wanted to check your passport for exit and entry visas.

Personally I would feel more comfortable having 400,000 in a bank account then proving it this way. 

Proof of income is provided to the British Embassy.

Immigration accept their letter as proof of income.

But if they did ask questions, a silent or retired company investor, partner, shareholder, or income from rented properties.

Not everyone earners an income from working!

23 hours ago, Danielll said:

I cannot obtain a Thai work permit as far as I'm aware as I don't technically "work in Thailand".

To clarify; you can't get a work permit because you are not employed by a company operating in Thailand. You would be working illegally as any work needs permission, which you will not get. It's unlikely that the Department of Labour or Immigration would take any action against you, or actively track you down, but people doing your kind of work do not declare the fact.

• Like 1

I agree with those who suggest a fixed-term deposit account in a Thai Bank as the preferred option to forestall potential inquisitive questions, if you can arrange it. You may find that Thai interest rates are higher than those in the UK and if you open an account with a major Thai bank your money is just as safe in Thailand as in the UK but of course subject to currency fluctuations.

Whichever way you choose to meet the financial requirement for the marriage extension, it is good for you to know that you have a choice of two methods, and you can always switch from one to the other with a subsequent one-year extension of stay if you desire.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

4 minutes ago, byteHunter said:

So why are there 2 different answers and noone seems to care? Ubon Joe said it can be done, others said it cannot. Wich one is true?

I have done 9 extensions based upon marriage and have never been asked to prove the source of my income by immigration when I present my income affidavit.

20 minutes ago, byteHunter said:

I meant getting a work permit in such a case where one works for a company outside Thailand. 

You have to be working for a company registered in Thailand.

The reply I made before was to the statement that a person cannot work with a non-o visa.

34 minutes ago, byteHunter said:

I meant getting a work permit in such a case where one works for a company outside Thailand. 

It's only possible to get a work permit if the foreign based company legally operates in Thailand.