Carry the passport with me

I have never carried my passport. I am too concerned about loosing it. The only place I have heard of police asking for a PP is Sukhumvit Soi 22 BKK.

I usually only carry my Bupa card. You wont be asked dont worry. Better keep it in your hotel safe.

• Like 1

Leave your PP in your hotel safe. Best place for it. Only ever heard of police asking for a PP in BKK Suk Soi 22. Probably the police after beer money.

I usually dont have ID apart from usual bank/bupa card.

I wouldnt worry.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

My Passport stays at home.

The thought of loosing it scares the hell out of me.

I do exactly the same, but have color copies of my stuff + Thai DL. 

Im not about to hand over my passport to anyone. 

• Like 2

I have

1) two Thai driving licenses

2) "pink card"

3) photocopies of relevant passport pages.

4) original passport

1), 2), 3): always carry with me when out of village by car, on daytrips to the province capitol or the like. No passport with me.

Original passport: always with me when on multi day trips, trips to Bangkok or Pattaya and the like.

As soon as I arrive it will be locked away in room safe/hotel safe.

3 hours ago, midas said:

I carry exactly the same as you in terms of documentation and provided you are courteous with them I would think the chances of them detaining you until you can supply the actual passport would be very slim indeed.

In Pattaya or Bangkok chances are not so slim needing to supply the original.

My favorite hotel(s) would not check me in without pp anyway.

And being 500 km from home and not being able to supply the pp is not a good idea for me.

• Like 2

I take mine everywhere in my "man-bag" with my Thai wife's passport.

But I always travel about in our car/pick-up, never by motor-bike.

It's no hassle to me and we live in Pattaya. 

If you are scared about losing your passport you may as well be scared of losing your wallet or phone or have your passport stolen from your house.

• Like 1

I take mine everywhere in my "man-bag" with my Thai wife's passport.
But I always travel about in our car/pick-up, never by motor-bike.
It's no hassle to me and we live in Pattaya. 
If you are scared about losing your passport you may as well be scared of losing your wallet or phone or have your passport stolen from your house.

You can leave the country, go to work and make a visa without your phone!
  • Like 2

Shrink your passport details page down to credit card size and get it laminated- loads of places can do it. I carry this, along with my latest 90 day report at all times.

If you can get a local driving licence carry that as well (it has your passport number on it). I use my driving licence as ID on domestic flights, in banks and booking into accommodation.

Never had any issues over not carrying  my passport in over 20 years.

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, cnxkoolpunt9 said:

I carry my passport with me at all times when I'm outside. I bought a "Kangaroo Pouch" from Amazon. I just adjusted the cord so it rests under my shirt and you would never know it's there. I believe I found it on Amazon... I think.

For how many years have you been doing this? How many times have you been asked to show your passport to a policeman?

• Like 2

I have been asked to show my passport once when I was driving from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai. I don't know why they were stopping foreigners but was glad I had it. I don't know what the consequences would have been if I hadn't had it. You only have to be asked once and not have it

5 minutes ago, cnxkoolpunt9 said:

have been asked to show my passport once when I was driving from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai. I don't know why they were stopping foreigners but was glad I had it. I don't know what the consequences would have been if I hadn't had it. You only have to be asked once and not have it

Immigration sweeps, be it's more common on the road from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai. Never once been asked while driving anywhere north of Chiang Mai but a few years back now catching buses to the border I was asked 3 times on one trip to show my passport, regularly at least once per trip other times...and they'd check everyone on the bus.

6 hours ago, baneko said:

Leave your PP in your hotel safe. Best place for it. Only ever heard of police asking for a PP in BKK Suk Soi 22. Probably the police after beer money.

I usually dont have ID apart from usual bank/bupa card.

I wouldnt worry.

Which hotel safe? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I have

1) two Thai driving licenses

2) "pink card"

3) photocopies of relevant passport pages.

4) original passport

1), 2), 3): always carry with me when out of village by car, on daytrips to the province capitol or the like. No passport with me.

Original passport: always with me when on multi day trips, trips to Bangkok or Pattaya and the like.

As soon as I arrive it will be locked away in room safe/hotel safe.

In Pattaya or Bangkok chances are not so slim needing to supply the original.

My favorite hotel(s) would not check me in without pp anyway.

And being 500 km from home and not being able to supply the pp is not a good idea for me.

You are talking about something entirely different. Visiting a different province and possibly wanting to check into a hotel (because obviously they need to see your passport) which is a totally different scenario to the one I was describing. I was talking about people living full-time in  Pattaya and providing they carry copies of their passport and a drivers license the chances of them being detained for not carrying the original passport is very slim indeed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, baneko said:

I have never carried my passport. I am too concerned about loosing it. The only place I have heard of police asking for a PP is Sukhumvit Soi 22 BKK.

I usually only carry my Bupa card. You wont be asked dont worry. Better keep it in your hotel safe.

I hang out on 22 and have never seen a cop,never mind a check up.Ok,seen a few riding past.

• Like 1

I.got a Credit Card size copy of the main page of my Passport with the reverse side showing my Visa, plasticised, 100 baht at a print shop in Pattaya 2nd Road.

i carry it for changing money and if I ever have an accident whilst out walking I have ID on me.