3BB FTTx router - no longer able to set Bridge Mode

SooKee

Seems 3BB may have changed something.  Won't be wasting too much time on this as it'll be less than a month before I ditch 3BB.  

I have their Huawai supplied router and the wifi speed from it is below crap!!  Earlier in the year I set it into Bridge mode and used my Apple AEBS router instead.  Thought I'd disconnect the AEBS and box it up ready to ship but the wifi is so garbage on the 3BB box I think I'll connect it up again.  Trouble is, I'd rather use the it as the DHCP device too but you need Bridge Mode on the 3BB router for that.  Seems that now though, even though you can select the connection and change it to bridge, it doesn't stick.

There was a post about a year ago about deleting the account of the router and setting up a new connection,  Can't even do that now!!

Yeah. Cheers. I've just put the Apple router in bridge mode and turned wi-fi off on the 3BB modem for now but still let it handle the DHCP. Works but not quite as I want to. Just can't be bothered to invest more time in it given I'll be switching ISP in a few weeks. Been quite a few posts on it on the Thai boards too. Seems 3BB have disabled the functionality, at least at the DIY level.

Sent using Tapatalk

Yeah. Cheers. I've just put the Apple router in bridge mode and turned wi-fi off on the 3BB modem for now but still let it handle the DHCP. Works but not quite as I want to. Just can't be bothered to invest more time in it given I'll be switching ISP in a few weeks. Been quite a few posts on it on the Thai boards too. Seems 3BB have disabled the functionality, at least at the DIY level.

Sent using Tapatalk

I changing from 3BB also, who are you moving to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AIS.  My phone number is with True at the moment so I'll port that to AIS too. It'll give me an extra 10% off the bill.  Going with their 100/10 fibre plan at 990 pm (-10% = 891).  Not bad value IMO, also includes their Playbox with several options for HDTV inc Thai and English channels.  Includes a free year with Hooq plus you can side load other apps onto their box too, if you want (I don't).  3BB I've not been that impressed with.  Speed or service wise.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that with AIS Fibre their router comes with AIS tailored firmware and on their PowerHome plan you can not set the router to bridge mode unless (and supposedly) you can call AIS Tech Support as ask them to change it remotely to bridge mode.   I've been on AIS Fibre 50/10 since July (very happy with it), the router they provided to me was a Hauwei HG8245H (I have fibre all the way to the router/my home vs it being VDSL for the final X-meters), and I have already submitted my upgrade request to 100/10 to begin the start of my next billing cycle in early January.

Snapshot below from AIS Website.  Where the PowerHome plan says "use bridge mode" implies "you" can change that setting but it's not really that way at least with the router AIS provided me and a few other TV posts I've seen over the last few months.  You'll need to call them and try to get them to change it to bridge mode.  Now for a PowerPro plan it does appear "you" can change the router setting to bridge mode based on the wording below.   But one thing for sure when it comes to Fiber and Cable plans I think you will find ISPs implement  tighter "configuration control" over router settings than on xDSL plans....and you must use "their" provided router as your primary router even though you may be able to set it to bridge mode to feed other routers/access points...different than with xDSL plans where you can usually completely swap-out the ISP provided router with your personal xDSL router.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

arkom,

One more question for you and assuming your have the Hauwei 8245H AIS provided router, what does your WAN page setting look like in the router once set to bridge mode?

"I think" once set to bridge mode the WAN settings page in the router will show different settings based on a youtube video I looked at.  Here's what my AIS Fibre-provided WAN setting page looks like for my fibre 50/10 plan (no option to change anything...just shows what the setting connection type is) as it came from AIS.  "I think" once set to bridge mode this page will look different?  Thanks.

Capture.JPG

2 hours ago, Pib said:

arkom,   

May I ask what kind of "international" speeds using testmy.net you get with your  AIS 100/10 plan?  Thanks.

Singapore

Rxdw1M3Zp.AferEsDkX.png

LA

aOtvcnlAU.6dOKkEVFG.png

NY

uEjZcKBCh.rSjWbqxKM.png

London

fn5IxNvCd.UtBsLxkAd.png

I should mention that I am using an older Apple AirportExpress N router with an ethernet port that technically maxes out at 100mbps.  Will be getting a new AC router next week, so hopefully the speeds should improve.

Edited by arkom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

arkom,

One more question for you and assuming your have the Hauwei 8245H AIS provided router, what does your WAN page setting look like in the router once set to bridge mode?

"I think" once set to bridge mode the WAN settings page in the router will show different settings based on a youtube video I looked at.  Here's what my AIS Fibre-provided WAN setting page looks like for my fibre 50/10 plan (no option to change anything...just shows what the setting connection type is) as it came from AIS.  "I think" once set to bridge mode this page will look different?  Thanks.

Capture.JPG

I do have the same router but unfortunately, I can not access it as my MacBook does not have an ethernet port.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, arkom said:

Singapore

Rxdw1M3Zp.AferEsDkX.png

LA

aOtvcnlAU.6dOKkEVFG.png

NY

uEjZcKBCh.rSjWbqxKM.png

London

fn5IxNvCd.UtBsLxkAd.png

I should mention that I am using an older Apple AirportExpress N router with an ethernet port that technically maxes out at 100mbps.  Will be getting a new AC router next week, so hopefully the speeds should improve.

Thanks for that...below are some results for my AIS 50/10 plan around an hour after you did your tests.  

Since international bandwidth changes so much during a 24 hour period and that change is easily displayed on a "single-thread" speed tester like Testmy.net,  you will notice my test to NY significantly beat yours....I couldn't get a test to LA to run a durn and used kinda nearby SF instead....for our Singapore tests you beat me but I still pulled the full speed of my 50Mb plan...and our testing to London was about the same.  But from testing to London over several months it's not uncommon to only get around 3Mb during a significant portion of the 24 hour period...guess the internet electrons have a hard time getting across the English Channel.

And based on my comparison with an person on an AIS Fibre HomePro plan about month ago our international speeds were basically the same...he beat me a little to some locations and I beat him  a little to some locations...in that limited comparison between my Home plan and his Pro plan there didn't' seem to be much difference in international speed which was suppose to be one of the HomePro's plan stronger selling points.  But that was a one time, limited test we did.

From my comparison testing with various people over recent years on different ISP and speed plans there is just no linear relationship between your plan's advertised domestics speed and it's international speed.  Say you are on a 50Mb plan that gives you an average 20Mb international speed, don't expect by upgrading to a 100Mb plan that your international average speed will double to 40Mb....or a 200Mb plan giving 80Mb average international speed.  The ISPs just seem to have some throttles set on international speed and/or just don't buy enough international bandwidth.   Now there is one exception, a person's international speed to Singapore will probably come close to doubling if you double your domestic speed since there are special lines running between Thailand and Singapore...and with Singapore a location for mirroring a lot of website/file servers a person does gain a lot of international speed benefit.

Looking forward to my 100/10 upgrade to kick-in o/a 4 Jan whether my average international speed goes up much or not....I figure going from 50/10Mb for Bt888 (I'm not an AIS mobile customer) to 100/10 for Bt1100 is well worth it....that is, only Bt212 extra to get another 50Mb of domestic speed and hopefully some more international speed (probably double/close to 100Mb to Singapore)

Singapore

cLKEH3vta.L2Yy06lvV.png

SF

I know you ran your test to LA but after trying a half dozen times the LA connection was running so, so slow..maybe not even 1Mb....just aborted each test.  But normally I get around 25Mb to LA because I've tested numerous times before.  Then tried San Francisco which seemed to struggle also.  Just a time of day thing I guess and international bandwidth is so sensitive to time of day/night testing.

wjMceNpRQ.8e0KC2jEW.png

NY

PyQux1UO9.eTnym32Qi.png

London (had to retry the test several times to get below result....several results were just around 2Mb in speed)

T7OZMbywj.PK5eXqC3D.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arkom said:

I do have the same router but unfortunately, I can not access it as my MacBook does not have an ethernet port.

You shouldn't need an ethernet port to access it...I always access it by Wifi connection.  But maybe once it's switched to true Bridge mode in can only be accessed via ethernet.   Maybe you could just hook to one of the four ethernet ports on the HG8245H?   

arkon,

Just as further crossfeed on comparing the speeds of your AIS Fibre 100/10 plan and my AIS Fibre 50/10 plan, below are two snapshots from the Testmy.net database.  The first snapshot is the speed results you gave earlier today....they are just in another format.  And the second snapshot is the speed tests I ran just  few minutes ago to the same locations your ran your tests....Singapore, LA, NY, and London.  Now this evening's running of a test to LA was no problem for me like it was earlier today....and testing to London gave me that below 3Mb speed like I mentioned earlier I see frequently...all depends on the time of day.    And I see you even experienced a speed of less than 5Mb today to London before testing again and this time getting almost 30Mb....I too have got 30Mb or more speeds to London but usually they are a lot lower....all depends on how full the international internet pipes are I guess along with some throttling I'm sure AIS does like other Thai ISPs.  

The Results You Posted Earlier Today on your 100/10 plan

Capturehim.JPG

My Results I Ran Around 6:30pm Bangkok Time on my 50/10 plan

CaptureMe.JPG

• 1 year later...