Enforcement Of Traffic Laws

womble

On a day where again a number of people have died through the flagrant disregard of driving laws by so called proffessional drivers. Ie. Truck/Bus drivers.......

When will people say enough is enough and it's time for zero tolerance on speeding maniac bus and truck drivers.

Ten killed, two injured in double vehicle crashes in Buri Ram

Buri Ram - Two passenger vehicles crashed into a 18-wheel trailer which lost control and blocked the road late Wednesday night, killing ten and injuring two others.

The accident happened at midnight on the Chokechai-Dej Udom Road in Ban Nongman village in Tambon Nongki of Buri Ram's Nongki district.

Police said the lorry was carrying rice from Nakhon Sawan to Nakhon Ratchasima.

The truck apparently lost control because the road was slippery due to heavy rains, causing it to turn and block the road.

Police said a van with five passengers and a pick-up truck with seven passengers, which were rushing after the lorry, crashed into the lorry.

The pick-up truck crashed into the trailer part while the van crashed into the front part of the lorry.

Police said nine died at the scene and the pick-up truck driver, Siriwut Passada, 49, died at the hospital.

His wife, Oranuj Passada, 34, and their three-year-old son, Santiham, died at the scene.

The lorry driver fled the scene.

The Nation

and.........

15 students injured in Nakhon Ratchasima road accident

Nahon Ratchasima- Fifteen students of a school in Pakthongchai were injured, four severely, when their vehicle was hit by speeding truck Thursday morning, police said.

The accident occurred at at 8:05 am on the Ratchasima-Kabin Buri Road in Tambon Nokok of Pakthongchai.

Police said the truck of Chat Thai Supply Ltd was transporting frozen fish from Chon Buri to the northeastern province when it tried to overtake the student vehicle.

Police said the truck failed to overtake the students vehicle but hit it and sent both vehicles into the roadside ditch.

The truck driver appeared to be drunk driving, police said. He was arrested for further investigation.

The injured students were rushed to Pakthongchai and Nakhon Ratchasima hospitals.

The Nation

In answer to your thread's title question, and IMHO....not until Thailand becomes a nation/culture of laws rather than a hierarchical society based on social/political position and connections ("who you know"). It's a deeper solution than just telling the police to enforce the law.

I think when Thailands enforcement of traffic laws happens the place will become very much like the one we all left in the first place to come here.

People die every day in the world if somebodies killed in a traffic accident its hard luck, life isn't fair.

You get traffic accidents in every country of the world, you should try going to India where its just as bad if not worse.

If you want super strict traffic controls where every driver has to drive in fear of prosecution then it sounds like you love the UK ideal too much.

These 'change the world falangs' who want to see Thailand re-invent the wheel by having a westernised mindset are missing the point entirely.

I suppose if a multi-millionaire donated xxxxxxxx amount of baht each month to the thai police then you'd get some form of traffic enforcement but you won't change the way an entire country acts behind the wheel / at the handlebars.

I think when Thailands enforcement of traffic laws happens the place will become very much like the one we all left in the first place to come here.

People die every day in the world if somebodies killed in a traffic accident its hard luck, life isn't fair.

You get traffic accidents in every country of the world, you should try going to India where its just as bad if not worse.

If you want super strict traffic controls where every driver has to drive in fear of prosecution then it sounds like you love the UK ideal too much.

These 'change the world falangs' who want to see Thailand re-invent the wheel by having a westernised mindset are missing the point entirely.

I suppose if a multi-millionaire donated xxxxxxxx amount of baht each month to the thai police then you'd get some form of traffic enforcement but you won't change the way an entire country acts behind the wheel / at the handlebars.

im with you on this one mate,

after all we are in the land of los arn't we.?

its not frigging aussie, pommy land, mongolia or the USA, its frigging los and i like it just the way it is, corruption, and all the other things that go down here.

if one dont like it, one can always stay in the west and deal with all the squeaky clean situations we have there.

its every thing thats wrong with the los that keeps me interested. :D

dam bores me being in the real world. :o

i love the los. :D

Sorry mate I think your way off the mark there and just spitting the dummy, having better drivers using the road carefully is called progress, and human compasion for ten dead is universal and not something only farangs feel, step back, you think it's ok that ten people die 'cos this is thailand and thats just the way it goes, please!

Do you think we are that narrow minded, because we care?

if somebodies killed in a traffic accident its hard luck, life isn't fair.

How about a member of your family, or how about you?,

what if you weren't killed but only brain damaged for life, sorry I guess we wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Terry don't encourage him.

Sorry mate I think your way off the mark there and just spitting the dummy, having better drivers using the road carefully is called progress, and human compasion for ten dead is universal and not something only farangs feel, step back, you think it's ok that ten people die 'cos this is thailand and thats just the way it goes, please!

Do you think we are that narrow minded, because we care?

if somebodies killed in a traffic accident its hard luck, life isn't fair.

How about a member of your family, or how about you?,

what if you weren't killed but only brain damaged for life, sorry I guess we wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Terry don't encourage him.

im not trying to encourage him mate as i have to deal with road trauma in my job and its an absolute shocker to witness it first hand.

thats why im so paranoid about travelling on the roads here and avoid it like the plague ( spelling :o )

i dont think our friend is saying its ok for this to happen in thailand but mearly stating that this is the real situation which is very true.

ive been travelling asia for many years and this is the real situation.

the only place where they drive with any sort of respectability is singapore as they have real rules there and minute amounts of corruption.

los will never change as this is the mind set.

"driver flees the scene." :D

sad but true.

im not trying to encourage him mate as i have to deal with road trauma in my job and its an absolute shocker to witness it first hand.

thats why im so paranoid about travelling on the roads here and avoid it like the plague ( spelling :o )

i dont think our friend is saying its ok for this to happen in thailand but mearly stating that this is the real situation which is very true.

ive been travelling asia for many years and this is the real situation.

the only place where they drive with any sort of respectability is singapore as they have real rules there and minute amounts of corruption.

los will never change as this is the mind set.

"driver flees the scene." :D

sad but true.

I don't agree with Jims Knights view, but I have a lot of respect with what you're saying as you have been witness to such situations.

I feel Jims Knight is jumping on his high horse without thinking about what the op and subsequent posts are saying, I think the parts I highlighted show this, sorry it just got my goat that he could claim some kind of moral highground, whilst showing no compassion for the victims of these accidents. oooooh I could crush a grape! :D (gets rant over and walks away quietly.............)

I guess as an afterthought, if you want to avoid a road traffic accident, don't go out on the road, and if you want to avoid other peoples opinions don't go on Thai Visa forum.

Edited by Robski

im with you on this one mate,

after all we are in the land of los arn't we.?

its not frigging aussie, pommy land, mongolia or the USA, its frigging los and i like it just the way it is, corruption, and all the other things that go down here.

if one dont like it, one can always stay in the west and deal with all the squeaky clean situations we have there.

its every thing thats wrong with the los that keeps me interested. :D

dam bores me being in the real world. :o

i love the los. :D

Hear, hear! :D (Despite my earlier pontifications!)

Am I the only motorbike rider in Thailand that likes to bend a few rules, at my own peril? Surely not, Shirley. You have to live in a place like Houston a long time before you realize you may never get a speeding ticket. Of course, that's the day you'll get one for doing 66 in a 60 mph zone. Not, apparently, in Thailand. I'm willing to take those risks. Still, it was nice to go through a police roadblock last night, completely legal with Thai helmet, registration, license, and insurance. I'm sure that handsome officer was flirting with me!