Ride motorbike thailand to vietnam - any advice?

4 hours ago, papa al said:

Do VN locals drive this type of bike, 

or only tourists?

Mostly tourists and they are based on a honda win 110cc but most are chinese replicas now but still pretty reliable and if you buy a dud there are enough roadside mechanics to keep you going.The great advantage is having a external fuel tank so you do not have the hassle of removing your luggage every time you need to refuel and i was was averaging 300km per tank.

On 12/22/2016 at 5:17 AM, off road pat said:

You need a Vietnamese driving license !!!.....

Or a Thai licence.

I was stopped for speeding, the police never asked for my licence.

I was arrested, they never asked for my licence

There is one place well known for a shake down by police, Mui Ne beach near Phan Thiet, but after staying a week there i saw nothing happening. They are not like the Thai police for shake downs.

23 hours ago, Mansell said:

My understanding was you couldn't take anything above 200cc into Vietnam. So with a 1200 is impressive. As for Cambodia....I took my 650 there last year. No problem crossing the border, but trying to find insurance seemed impossible. As for the headlight thing....I drove with it on and extra spots all the time because the drivers there are worse than Thialand. Never got stopped, though a farang mentioned the lights to me. I rode in Hanoi, and while you are flowing with the traffic I thought it was fine. Now they all wear helmets and only two on a bike makes it much safer there.

love Vietnam.

I am sure you can't take your own Thai registered bike into Vietnam.

If registered with a company they have an arrangement. 

A perfect trip would be Thailand, Laos, cross into Vietnam near Bien Dien Phu, go South and cross back into Cambodia and back to Thailand.

I hope that will be possible soon.

The mountains in Vietnam are great, if slow for riding.

DSC_0229.JPG

23 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Funny countries don't like lights on in daylight. Cars and bikes all have daylight running lights in NA. I just makes you more visable.  I don't understand the reason that they have to be off. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

I think you know the answer ...  " Funny countries "

I think you know the answer ...  " Funny countries "

Crazy as it seems, it's because only government/army vehicles can have their lights on during daytime and it's supposed to ensure you get out of their way because you then know it's them 'Big Brother' coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 22/12/2016 at 8:25 AM, Beats56 said:

Funny countries don't like lights on in daylight. Cars and bikes all have daylight running lights in NA. I just makes you more visable.  I don't understand the reason that they have to be off. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Running your headlights means using fuel. So the less they are on, the more you save on fuel.

Your best bet is buying a bike in Vietnam. That will get you around Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. Then just cruise Thailand on your own bike when you get back. 

Someone mentioned Tiggit motorbikes in Vietnam. I never used their service but I had a chat with the owner and he seems like a good guy. They have all kind of bikes that you can buy and they buy it back when you're done. 

You can buy a newish Honda winner or Yamaha exciter in hcmc and they buy it back in Hanoi. Not sure why back packers insist on riding those crappy Chinese Honda wins. They are junk! Having a reliable bike with a bit of power would make the experience far more enjoyable. 

Have fun! Sounds like an awesome trip. The rain finally stopped here and I'm ready to do a bit of touring myself. 

Some Thais believe that having your tires very hard inflated will improve mileage.

Maybe it will but I doubt very much it can be measured but will deform the tires and make it uncomfortable to drive/ride and even dangerous as the ties will not perform optimally. 

Same when it turns dark or heavy raining, app 25% don't turn their lights on, idiots.

Some Thais believe that having your tires very hard inflated will improve mileage.

Maybe it will but I doubt very much it can be measured but will deform the tires and make it uncomfortable to drive/ride and even dangerous as the ties will not perform optimally. 

Same when it turns dark or heavy raining, app 25% don't turn their lights on, idiots.

Thank you for explaining what I was trying to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk