Latest banking fees in Thailand

19 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

"Buying notes" means buying CAD notes with THB - which you aren't! You need to look at "sell notes" for money exchange and "TT" for wire transfers.

Yes I thought you had this backwards in that earlier post. When I exchange CAD for Baht I check the buying rate, as in the bank buying my CAD notes. 

6 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

Bottom line: if you can stomach travelling with CAD 5,000 in your pocket (or undies, or wherever): do that, and keep track of what good exchange places offer on a daily basis & change some or all as you go along. To mention just two exchangers that I personally know: www.superrichthailand.com and www.yenjit.com give you rates and more online.

Thanks for these other exchange places. That's a much better rate. On 5k CAD that's a couple of thousand better than BB. I'll definitely use one of those on my next trip. My wife had mentioned something about this to me before but didn't explain it very well. She just said "they have places down in Patunam that give better rates".  I envisioned some shady stall down in that market. Now I know what she was referring to. 

4 hours ago, Pib said:

Using a couple of U.S. no foreign transaction fee debit cards which also reimburse ATM User Fees like the Bt200 Thai ATM fee for foreign cards.  Sometimes I use these debit cards in the ATM and sometimes as counter withdrawals (a.k.a., cash advance).  And I also have a couple of U.S. no foreign transaction fee debit cards but they don't reimburse any fee if using them in an ATM (which I never do) and do not charge any cash advance fee.....to avoid any interest charge I prepay the amount of cash I plan to get and go do a counter withdrawal which avoids the Bt200 fee.

I have done this in the past. I have one card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. Here in Canada only 3 cards are available that offer this service. The Marriot Visa, the Amazon Visa and the Rogers Mastercard. That's the only three I know of. They don't reimburse transaction fees but they are much better to use than others. I have the Amazon Visa and I use that often at Big C. The exchange rate is excellent. I'll need to check if they have a cash advance fee. 

The worst rate of all is definitely when you use a CDN bank to transfer to a Thai bank. You're ass actually hurts when you see the final tally. I only did that once but have been using various other methods since. Thanks for the replies.  

• 3 weeks later...

Have a question in regards to latest ATM fee's in regards to Thai baht bank accounts.

I have a Bangkok Bank visa debit card and have used various different ATM's of various different banks free of charge in the past 2 months. No ATM fee ever.

Today I used a Krungthai ATM to withdraw cash. After receiving the cash & asking for receipt, it told me I was charged 10 baht.

I then used a Siam Bank ATM. Same thing happened, 10 baht charge.

At no time prior to the withdrawal, did it mention a charge, only after.

I used a Siam Bank ATM on the 11th with no fee charged but today on the 13th it was 10 baht.

Has something changed in the past 2 days in regards to using Bangkok Bank cards in other banks ATM's?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Keep track of what good exchange places offer on a daily basis & change some or all as you go along. To mention just two exchangers that I personally know: www.superrichthailand.com and www.yenjit.com give you rates and more online.

I went to Superrichthailand.com in Pratunam and got a great rate for my CDN at 29.90 THB. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. You saved me some dough.

I just wanted to point out for others that exchange places have opened in that same area with almost identical names. Imitation is flattery I guess. Look for the green sign and make sure you're in the right spot to get the best rate.

Thanks again. [emoji106]

. The transfer on Kasikorn side only worked when I chose "next business day" - and I was promptly charged THB 120 for the "privilege". The transfer did arrive at BAAC the next business day, but after charging a fee of THB 110 there as well...   :-(

Side note on the side note: BAAC is the bank most rice farmers use / are made to use...

You have to choose a 2 day transfer in that case. I always surprised why the instant transfer is cheaper than in 1 day. But as you told not every bank accept this.

Archived