Israel’s ex-president freed from jail after serving five years for rape

webfact

10 hours ago, Grubster said:

You can believe what you want and I will believe my retired federal warden brother, as he has never been a story fabricator in the past.

Your RETIRED federal warden is probably telling the truth about how things were in the distant past. However, prison rules have changed a lot in recent years. I doubt if the conditions that you describe exist in either the USA or Israel.

5 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

Your RETIRED federal warden is probably telling the truth about how things were in the distant past. However, prison rules have changed a lot in recent years. I doubt if the conditions that you describe exist in either the USA or Israel.

I just want to put you in the position of those who make those decisions. The higher government officials, Congress in the US case. They could at anytime be exposed somehow for there illegal doings at work or outside of work, and in my estimation and probably yours, nearly all of them are involved in many illegal activities, or they wouldn't retire from a $200,000 job with the millions that they do. They don't want to take a risk of being locked up in less then very nice conditions, they have their worst case scenario covered well, and several of the X us congressmen are living in those prisons.  My brother has only been retired for 10 years so I'm sure not much has changed. I hope and wish it will change. Look up the prison that this guy stayed in, very nice indeed, and they say up to three per room, his was one I'm sure. He had many other special privileges that others don't get even there I would bet.

13 hours ago, Grubster said:

I just want to put you in the position of those who make those decisions. The higher government officials, Congress in the US case. They could at anytime be exposed somehow for there illegal doings at work or outside of work, and in my estimation and probably yours, nearly all of them are involved in many illegal activities, or they wouldn't retire from a $200,000 job with the millions that they do. They don't want to take a risk of being locked up in less then very nice conditions, they have their worst case scenario covered well, and several of the X us congressmen are living in those prisons.  My brother has only been retired for 10 years so I'm sure not much has changed. I hope and wish it will change. Look up the prison that this guy stayed in, very nice indeed, and they say up to three per room, his was one I'm sure. He had many other special privileges that others don't get even there I would bet.

It's not a high security prison, no. But it's nothing like your fantasies as well.

2 hours ago, DavidVincent said:

The main point is : this guy served a VERY light sentence for a rape. A sentence none of the regular people would have and being Israel or not is not really important. What matter is if you re a public figure you will spend less time in jail and it is a shame.

He could have had it worse, yes. But the prosecution's case wasn't rock solid, and at one point a plea bargain was on the table. Generally, public perception in Israel is that rapists get relatively lighter sentences than the maximum punishment possible. Reasons cited for this are usually difficulties relating to evidence and procedure. So in his case, not a "very" light sentence as such, but probably lighter than an regular person. As you say, this isn't an Israeli thing, but a general one. On a positive note, it was a breakthrough (in Israel) with regard to such public figures being charged with similar offenses. There are currently four or five of them in the headlines.