Immigration are circling my classroom - what can I do?

Hi guys

I have been living and working in Thailand for 16 years. In that time I have opened a classroom and have a good client base who enjoy learning with me. As my reputation grew, many government officials and policemen have brought their children to learn with me. They have turned a blind eye to the fact that I was a married guy trying to make a living.

But in the last year a parent who works for immigration warned me to get a work visa. I looked into this but found the rules and regulations that I needed to fulfil to be impossible, especially the 4 thais per foreigner rule so decided to carry on as I was, remaining low key, with no advertisement or promotion and no signs to indicate what I was doing. This is how I have always done things.

But in the last week, a head honcho guy from immigration came to pick up his wife from the hairdressers across the road and started asking questions about if she knew me and if I had many students. Then today the same guy came cruising by the classroom with another guy looking into the premises. There were a handful of young students entering the classroom at the time. Then my wife noticed that this evening, the guy we normally deal with at immigration also drove slowly past the classroom at 6.30., again looking into the premises. There were about 10 students in the classroom at the time.

My wife told me later, after lesson times had finished and this immediately sent me into a bit of a tailspin fearing that they were trying to obtain evidence and that they will return to arrest me in the very near future. We have decided to close the class tomorrow for the holidays just to be on the safe side.

My question is this, if they raid my classroom and arrest me for working illegally what will be the likely outcome. I live in the south but I do not want to be jailed and then moved to IDC in BKK, to be subjected to a substantial fine and then risk deportation as well as I have a home and a family here.

Cheers

JAF

• Like 1

What I don't understand from posts like this (and a lot of others) is the fear from immigration as opposed to the real threat from the education and labor departments who are responsible for working (education in this case as it involves a school).

That is assuming that after 16 years living here the OP has the proper visa or permission to stay.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

What I don't understand from posts like this (and a lot of others) is the fear from immigration as opposed to the real threat from the education and labor departments who are responsible for working (education in this case as it involves a school).

That is assuming that after 16 years living here the OP has the proper visa or permission to stay.

You would think that working without a WP would primarily concern the Labour department but in reality you are in contravention of both the Alien Working Act and the Immigration Act and between those two, immigration has more teeth.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, thedemon said:

You would think that working without a WP would primarily concern the Labour department but in reality you are in contravention of both the Alien Working Act and the Immigration Act and between those two, immigration has more teeth.

The OP would only be contravening the Immigration Act if he was on a visa or extension of stay that prohibited work, else he is just contravening the Alien Working Act.

• Like 1

i think the OP needs to clarify his visa status in order to get a full set of instructions on 'what to do'.  obviously he needs to stop working immediately (no work permit).  the next question may be 'how do i clear my overstay'.  i might be totally wrong on that but just yesterday i posted on another thread about people teaching without a work permit.  in that post, i suggested the only people left doing that are on overstay and are trying to earn/collect enough money to pay an 'agent' to clear up the overstay. 

14 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

The OP would only be contravening the Immigration Act if he was on a visa or extension of stay that prohibited work, else he is just contravening the Alien Working Act.

Section 37 of the Immigration Act says:

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom
must comply with the following :
1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment
unless authorized by the Director General. or competent official deputized by the
Director General . If , in any case , there is a law concerning alien employment
provided hereafter , the granting of work privileges must comply with the law
concerned.

The way I read that, it covers all foreigners except those with Permanent Residence.

How does Visa type or reason for extension affect section 37?

8 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Section 37 of the Immigration Act says:

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom
must comply with the following :
1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment
unless authorized by the Director General. or competent official deputized by the
Director General .
If , in any case , there is a law concerning alien employment
provided hereafter , the granting of work privileges must comply with the law
concerned.

The way I read that, it covers all foreigners except those with Permanent Residence.

How does Visa type or reason for extension affect section 37?

The authorization is the lack of "employment prohibited" stamped on your visa or extension.

Sorry to hear your story - 16 years isn't a bad run - and you probably did more good people in that time than the money you recieved.

But it's food for thought, no PT teaching gig supplies a WP in this country, even legit schools, I have worked for schools that were run by Thai people and we most probably illegal businesses - but because they were Thai run, no one batted an eyelid.

Good luck 

• Like 2