Immigration are circling my classroom - what can I do?

4 hours ago, mstevens said:

This is an awkward situation.  On the one hand (I presume) you are offering a valuable service to the community, imparting your knowledge, teaching a skill that is important for all Thais and hopefully making young Thais more comfortable around foreigners.  On the other hand you have flagrantly flaunted the law for a very long (!!) time and have not jumped through all the hoops and gone to the not inconsiderable expense and hassle that others doing the same thing have gone through.

From the sounds of it you have had a good run and been very lucky to have operated for as long as you have.  If it were me I'd close the business down and hope that that is the end of it and there are no consequences.  Sometimes you have to know when it's time .... and it seems now may be that time.

Sorry, but there is a cost of doing business. 4 employees, taxes, Employee benefits etc. If he has a business but doesn't need

staff then it is not profitable. I don't feel sorry for him at all. I deal with it everyday as a business owner.

• Like 1

Rightly or wrongly, the rules are the rules, whether you agree with them or not. So if you are knowingly breaking the law, which it appears you are, then you will suffer the consequences accordingly. The other dimension to this is that it also makes it harder for those of us here who are abiding by the rules, again - whether you like them or not.  As to the argument that you are helping people/developing the country/providing a much needed service etc. etc. It means nothing I'm afraid.

So, what to do? Get legal or cease and desist. And, as others have said, contact a lawyer. It sounds like you might need one.

• Like 2

Why didn't you/your wife get registered as a school with the required paperwork?  You don't necessarily need the 4 thai staff if you register as a school.  It is some work to make sure you have certain # of toilets, xxx square meters per # of students, emergency lights, lesson plans, etc.  They don't pay any bribes, so some of the stuff took a bit longer than expected.  And the wife/wife's mom knows a lot of people in the community.

If you were registered as a school, it would be much easier to obtain the work permit.

----

But you did the correct thing and closed the school until you can sort it out.   But since some of the immigration office have their children in the school, it must have some value.  You just got "too big."  Why not have the wife negotiate something?

I don't even have a school and I've been approached to teach English on a private level.    

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Even a visa-exempt entry has no such stamp so clearly that is nonsense.

If you took time to read what I wrote, you would see that I mention visas and extensions of stay. The name "visa exempt" should have been a clue to you that it is not a visa !

1 minute ago, muzmurray said:

How would he do that, he does not have the required legal income ?

Good point, didn't think about that.......first you need an income, then you can become a Thai citizen. After you are a Thai citizen, you can loose that income and still be a Thai citizen, makes complete logic!

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

16 years of illegally running a business in Thailand, without even having to have paid any bribes as yet?  OP, you ought to consider yourself luckier than most.

Get clean while you still can. IDC in BKK is not a fun place to be.

16yrs.overstay,plus plus and dont forget 16yrs.of back TAX,plus plus, you deserve 16yrs.in the bangkok hilton.

22 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Section 37 of the Immigration Act says:

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom
must comply with the following :
1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment
unless authorized by the Director General. or competent official deputized by the
Director General . If , in any case , there is a law concerning alien employment
provided hereafter , the granting of work privileges must comply with the law
concerned.

The way I read that, it covers all foreigners except those with Permanent Residence.

How does Visa type or reason for extension affect section 37?

- PR holders still need a work permit, I got PR more than 2 decades ago, had a WP before PR and all the time since I got PR. 

- The list of professions / occupations reserved for Thai citizens only still applies.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Loaded said:

Fairly sure you won't have registered for and paid tax as well. As someone who runs a legal business in Thailand and jumps through all the hoops, you have no sympathy from me. We have competitors who flagrantly ignore the rules, laws and regulations we follow. They can undercut us because of this. It's not right.

When we complained to the authorities of illegal competition, the authorities did little other than alert our competitors to the fact we had complained. Our illegal competition then attacked us. I received threats, fake posts on FB and forums, fake reviews etc. However, this just made us more determined to fight.

Exactly.

Thanks for making it harder for the rest of us that are trying to do things legally. Don't slam the door on your way out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goingmad said:

Sorry, but there is a cost of doing business. 4 employees, taxes, Employee benefits etc. If he has a business but doesn't need

staff then it is not profitable. I don't feel sorry for him at all. I deal with it everyday as a business owner.

Plus the requirements for running an educational institution.

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Bogdiver said:

Which is why I think a deal can be made

I agree.

Maybe the whole thing is blown out of proportion. If he just teaches a few kids now and then.

He doesn't say he makes a living out of teaching.