Philippines versus Thailand.....

robertthebruce

5 hours ago, what2do said:

I think the best answer would be to go check it out yourself. I heard Davao is nice place even with the bombing. I will go check it out and see.

I went there about 10 years ago and it was a dump if you compare it to any of the Thai resorts. Save yourself the bother and expense. The few gogo type bars that cater for Westerners are rip off joints.

To give you an idea we went into a bar bought our own drinks which were reasonably priced at about 50 pesos, similar prices to Thailand at the time and in due course we bought some lady drinks at 125 pesos.

After a couple of drinks the manageress came up to us and said they would now be 250 pesos. My two pals grudgingly agreed but I refused to buy any more LDs. We left soon afterwards and went elsewhere.

Her greed and stupidity meant that we never went back in her bar for the rest of the trip and we'd told her we'd be around for a couple of weeks. In the event we we weren't, the city was such a hole that we took a trip to Cebu for a few days and that was not much better.

I'd never go there again, I dunno about AC though as I've never been there.

Edited by yogi100

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/27/2016 at 9:57 PM, Berkshire said:

The illusion is that Filipino women are friendlier than Thai women.  If you can speak Thai, you'd find Thai women just as friendly if not more so.  Unless you'd prefer to live in ignorance. 

Well, if you could speak the local Filipino language, the Filipinas would be even friendlier. And, if you are already friends, well, they are even more friendly

Day 5 here in AC .  Always interesting to hear from the naysayers.  Sure when you walk around AC like anyplace else you need to be aware and not stupid.  But I do not see this place as some major crime war zone duck and cover.  Sorry, it actually seems rather tame here compared to some places I have been.

For living standards most definitely Thailand is better.  I am not talking about this place for any suggestion for permanent residence as compared to Thailand.

But, if you like to drink a little, like cute friendly girls and generally friendly people, AC is another option for fun.  I am leaving tomorrow and 5 days for me seems about right.

One more thing about the language and these girls.  I have met Thai girls who speak good English.  But many do not seem to get joking or sarcasm. They take it personally.  The girls in AC seem to get it had a great time last night joking playing around with them seems to be much more fun.

Anyway, just my 2 cents if you one likes to experience other male entertainment venues I would suggest to give this place a look.  

I will be coming back.

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Day 5 here in AC .  Always interesting to hear from the naysayers.  Sure when you walk around AC like anyplace else you need to be aware and not stupid.  But I do not see this place as some major crime war zone duck and cover.  Sorry, it actually seems rather tame here compared to some places I have been.

For living standards most definitely Thailand is better.  I am not talking about this place for any suggestion for permanent residence as compared to Thailand.

But, if you like to drink a little, like cute friendly girls and generally friendly people, AC is another option for fun.  I am leaving tomorrow and 5 days for me seems about right.

One more thing about the language and these girls.  I have met Thai girls who speak good English.  But many do not seem to get joking or sarcasm. They take it personally.  The girls in AC seem to get it had a great time last night joking playing around with them seems to be much more fun.

Anyway, just my 2 cents if you one likes to experience other male entertainment venues I would suggest to give this place a look.  

I will be coming back.

I agree great place for fun and relaxing and much more friendlier (and prettier in my opinion) girls. I own a condo there and go about 3 to 4 times a year but would not live there permanently as Thailand's infrastructure is so much better 

8 hours ago, yogi100 said:

The only people you see packing guns in Pattaya are the coppers.

SURE - they are wearing it on their hip for all to see. Peel back the curtain.......I was here for 6 or 7 years before I realized so many of the people that I know and those around me have hand guns. As for Pattaya, the number one Safety Zone for all of Thailand, I'm sure you are right; "only the coppers"

On 2/1/2017 at 2:26 AM, Destiny1990 said:

I think the  philipines could be a great place if they would first demolish it completely and then rebuilt their country with a proper infrastructure.

Get Trump in to build bridges between all the 7000+ islands.

2 hours ago, slippedisc said:

Get Trump in to build bridges between all the 7000+ islands.

Well inregard with Philipines they do have an ok connecting ferry system so no need for 7000 bridges.but their real problem is that all their islands their roads and all their streets have been built up way to narrow and to small thats why each street is always jam packed with traffic.very poorly designed infrastructure.they really need to demolish their country completly first and then set it up entirely different with wide roads in comparison with the mesh they created now.But This will probably never happen..

The PI is one of those places that you are safe - until you are not....

On one day in about a 1 hour span 1- someone tried to pick my pockets, 2- 3 guys tried to triangle me (two from the back & one from the front) in broad daylight walking behind a banner on a sidewalk....It's a place where you learn to keep your hands in your pockets & taxi drivers are nervous to take you and trike drivers ask you to pocket your gold....

I've given a lot of friends advice about there....

Some that didn't listen paid the price.....One came to with everything of value including his passport gone - travelling solo....

It's a country full of very poor & very desperate people where walking down the street in many places/cities/villages/islands is not a safe practice - day or night....Houses are compounds with high walls & solid screening gates & entries.....

It's also changed - many years ago the general population seemed pretty much happy & smiling - it's not that way anymore....

Edited by pgrahmm

19 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

The PI is one of those places that you are safe - until you are not....

On one day in about a 1 hour span 1- someone tried to pick my pockets, 2- 3 guys tried to triangle me (two from the back & one from the front) in broad daylight walking behind a banner on a sidewalk....It's a place where you learn to keep your hands in your pockets & taxi drivers are nervous to take you and trike drivers ask you to pocket your gold....

I've given a lot of friends advice about there....

Some that didn't listen paid the price.....One came to with everything of value including his passport gone - travelling solo....

It's a country full of very poor & very desperate people where walking down the street in many places/cities/villages/islands is not a safe practice - day or night....Houses are compounds with high walls & solid screening gates & entries.....

It's also changed - many years ago the general population seemed pretty much happy & smiling - it's not that way anymore....

True at the mall of Asia in manila some professional gang tried steal my bag when i went to security trying to explain the situation i then found out all these machine gun security guards are not there for your safety but only to protect their own goods from being stolen!

11 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

True at the mall of Asia in manila some professional gang tried steal my bag when i went to security trying to explain the situation i then found out all these machine gun security guards are not there for your safety but only to protect their own goods from being stolen!

Any country where you are constantly patted down or checked for weapons going to routine places is a pretty good indicator about the things we don't see.....

Women don't drive alone there - if they own a car they have/get a driver/bodyguard.....Know many that have cars but no license.....Almost 100% men on the motorcycles too....Not a world where women often venture out alone....They all call a trike or cab if they don't have a car....

34 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Any country where you are constantly patted down or checked for weapons going to routine places is a pretty good indicator about the things we don't see.....

Women don't drive alone there - if they own a car they have/get a driver/bodyguard.....Know many that have cars but no license.....Almost 100% men on the motorcycles too....Not a world where women often venture out alone....They all call a trike or cab if they don't have a car....

taxis are totally unsafe for girls in  Philipines everybody knows that.they not even completely safe for guys.

I've always said that if you could send the Thais to the Philippines, and bring the Filipinos to Thailand, then Thailand would be perfect. ;-) 

PI cities are poop holes. You couldn't pay me to live there. But the people are much friendlier and welcoming than most Thais. Filipinos, while still incredibly proud people, are not crippled with xenophobia.

2 hours ago, dcnx said:

I've always said that if you could send the Thais to the Philippines, and bring the Filipinos to Thailand, then Thailand would be perfect. ;-) 

PI cities are poop holes. You couldn't pay me to live there. But the people are much friendlier and welcoming than most Thais. Filipinos, while still incredibly proud people, are not crippled with xenophobia.

Dcnx, when something bad/strange happens involving a Thai,  I tell my Thai wife exactly the same to angry her. She doesn't like it and is quiet for a few days haha. Yes, I find it to be true about the Filipinos and Thai. It would be close to paradise.

8 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Am spending a month in Subic Bay area at the moment, reside more commonly in CM. I don't agree with your observatons in paragraph 2. The Filipina women all seem to feel safe making their way home alone in the early hours using Jeepney's, motocycle taxis.

On the contrary a lot of Thai women are nervous out on their own late at night in CM. Loads of women driving alone in Subic as well!

18 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

Am spending a month in Subic Bay area at the moment, reside more commonly in CM. I don't agree with your observatons in paragraph 2. The Filipina women all seem to feel safe making their way home alone in the early hours using Jeepney's, motocycle taxis.

On the contrary a lot of Thai women are nervous out on their own late at night in CM. Loads of women driving alone in Subic as well!

Philipina ladies are often scared riding taxies alone out of fear getting raped or robbed by the taxi driver.in jeepnies they feel bit more safe because they not isolated with some driver weirdo.

One month in Subic is very very long i totally dislike that boring place.

7 hours ago, rogeroc said:

If you are inside of Subic you're in a cultural bubble - with trendy shops. eateries, Starbucks, etc. & a newish trendy mall....

Get outside that bubble to many places (years) and you'll find it different.....30 days in Subic is not the PI....You're in a hiso bubble....

If I had to find a place for a short R&R that would work.....You're fairly safe there, but it's small postage stamp sized place.....There's some nice drives up the coast....

Generally speaking though country village life there is where you will see some of the women out & about - usually accompanied by a male or in a group, typical small village life.....

But you really have to spend some time & travel with people you know & trust & do your own driving.....I had access to cars & did a lot of day trip driving - island fever I guess.....

But - tread lightly if you do - nothing quite like the feeling of a couple of curious village women wanting to talk to you out in the sticks while some guy walks over to monitor the conversation with a machete parked on his shoulder, one hand on the handle....

If you are inside of Subic you're in a cultural bubble - with trendy shops. eateries, Starbucks, etc. & a newish trendy mall....
Get outside that bubble to many places (years) and you'll find it different.....30 days in Subic is not the PI....You're in a hiso bubble....
If I had to find a place for a short R&R that would work.....You're fairly safe there, but it's small postage stamp sized place.....There's some nice drives up the coast....

Generally speaking though country village life there is where you will see some of the women out & about - usually accompanied by a male or in a group, typical small village life.....

But you really have to spend some time & travel with people you know & trust & do your own driving.....I had access to cars & did a lot of day trip driving - island fever I guess.....

But - tread lightly if you do - nothing quite like the feeling of a couple of curious village women wanting to talk to you out in the sticks while some guy walks over to monitor the conversation with a machete parked on his shoulder, one hand on the handle....

I visit Davao several times a year (we/my gf has a house in Kapalong so we usually get up there a couple of times as well) and it feels really safe to me, though her family do worry sometimes as I'd be 1 of only a handful of foreigners in the area.

But I will say Davao feels like it's getting worse & I honestly believe it's due to the fact that more foreigners are visiting (Plus RD moving up in the world)

On 2/5/2017 at 9:27 AM, JB300 said:

I visit Davao several times a year (we/my gf has a house in Kapalong so we usually get up there a couple of times as well) and it feels really safe to me, though her family do worry sometimes as I'd be 1 of only a handful of foreigners in the area.

But I will say Davao feels like it's getting worse & I honestly believe it's due to the fact that more foreigners are visiting (Plus RD moving up in the world)

I went to Davao years ago when Duterte was Mayor and the locals idolised him, what do they think of him now?

The drug dealers had been sent packing, it appeared to be quite safe by day or night and I never felt threatened but it was a dump with very little to do and no decent nightlife. I was used to spending my holidays in Pattaya so I naturally compared it with Pattaya. Myself and a pal had gone there to visit a chum who had married a local girl. We also went to Cebu, that was no better.

I went to Davao years ago when Duterte was Mayor and the locals idolised him, what do they think of him now?

The drug dealers had been sent packing, it appeared to be quite safe by day or night and I never felt threatened but it was a dump with very little to do and no decent nightlife. I was used to spending my holidays in Pattaya so I naturally compared it with Pattaya. Myself and a pal had gone there to visit a chum who had married a local girl. We also went to Cebu, that was no better.

Locals still worship him, they even still have the election posters / cutouts up.

Agree there's next to no "Pattaya" nightlife there, hope you didn't go into 1 of the Hot Legz or you're opinion would be even worse! But I go with the gf so we tend to go to the Live Music places like MTS & V-Place (pretty sure it's very easy to score there if you went on your own).

Shame about Cebu, it used to be an awesome place for a bit of fun (& imho has the best looking girls in Philippines) but the Mayor had a major crackdown 4-5 years back & now it's a pretty crap place to "Play", though again, I'm normally there with gf so we tend to go to places like IT Park.

Davao sense of safety vs actual safety is complete opposite. From all the reports the city is one of safest in South East Asia but imagine when you are taking money from ATM and there is security guard with machine gun next to you. That is life in Davao. 

On 2/7/2017 at 9:23 AM, what2do said:

Davao sense of safety vs actual safety is complete opposite. From all the reports the city is one of safest in South East Asia but imagine when you are taking money from ATM and there is security guard with machine gun next to you. That is life in Davao. 

It's the same in Manila or Cebu, they even had 'em outside the Silver Dollar GGB when I was in Cebu. But they were not armed with machine guns, they just carried pistols or shotguns. 

That's not just life in Davao, that's life in the PI all over and has been for years. That's yet another reason why they need a tough no nonsense chap like Duterte running the show.

13 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

It's the same in Manila or Cebu, they even had 'em outside the Silver Dollar GGB when I was in Cebu. But they were not armed with machine guns, they just carried pistols or shotguns. 

That's not just life in Davao, that's life in the PI all over and has been for years. That's yet another reason why they need a tough no nonsense chap like Duterte running the show.

Even an simple  store as a 7/11 in phills has 2-3 shotgun guards.i guess if a customer steals a pack of chewing gum he will be gunned down.

7 hours ago, yogi100 said:

More than years - try decades.  It was the same when I lived there more than 30 years ago.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Wrong!  Just you scare mongering and over exaggerating.

Go to cebu ramos street travel agentcy for ferry tours tickets has 3 shot gun guards infront.i asked them if they think it enough they said not realyy because they also guards dor the bakeryshop next door.if u do not believe go look ur self

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2017 at 9:05 AM, JB300 said:

Locals still worship him, they even still have the election posters / cutouts up.

Agree there's next to no "Pattaya" nightlife there, hope you didn't go into 1 of the Hot Legz or you're opinion would be even worse! But I go with the gf so we tend to go to the Live Music places like MTS & V-Place (pretty sure it's very easy to score there if you went on your own).

Shame about Cebu, it used to be an awesome place for a bit of fun (& imho has the best looking girls in Philippines) but the Mayor had a major crackdown 4-5 years back & now it's a pretty crap place to "Play", though again, I'm normally there with gf so we tend to go to places like IT Park.

those little bars are really spaced out and...yes... I went in one once  lol  went to Davao twice but never felt threatened at all just lonely  lol