Final test results confirm Ebola vaccine highly effective

webfact

Final test results confirm Ebola vaccine highly effective

By JAMEY KEATEN

GENEVA (AP) — Final test results confirm an experimental Ebola vaccine is highly effective, a major milestone that could help prevent the spread of outbreaks like the one that killed thousands in West Africa.

Scientists have struggled to develop an Ebola vaccine over the years, and this is the first one proven to work. Efforts were ramped up after the infectious disease caused a major outbreak, beginning in 2013 in Guinea and spreading to Liberia and Sierra Leone. About 11,300 people died.

The World Health Organization, which acknowledged shortcomings in its response to the West Africa outbreak, led the study of the vaccine, which was developed by the Canadian government and is now licensed to the U.S.-based Merck & Co. Results were published Thursday.

Merck is expected to seek regulatory approval in the U.S. and Europe sometime next year.

The experimental vaccine was given to about 5,800 people last year in Guinea, as the virus was waning. All had some contact with a new Ebola patient. They got the vaccine right away or three weeks later. After a 10-day waiting period, no Ebola cases developed in those immediately vaccinated, 23 cases turned up among those with delayed vaccination.

The Lancet paper published Thursday mostly crystallizes what was already largely known from interim results released last year. The vaccine proved so effective that the study was stopped midway so that everyone exposed to Ebola in Guinea could be immunized.

"I really believe that now we have a tool which would allow (us) to control a new outbreak of Ebola of the Zaire strain," said Dr. Marie-Paule Kieny, a WHO assistant director-general who was the study's lead author. "It's the first vaccine for which efficacy has been shown."

She noted that other Ebola vaccines are underdoing testing, and that a vaccine is also needed to protect against a second strain, Sudan.

The virus first turned up in Africa in 1976 and had caused periodic outbreaks mostly in central Africa, but never with results as deadly as the West Africa outbreak. Many previous vaccine attempts have failed. Among the hurdles: the sporadic nature of outbreaks and funding shortages.

___

Online:

WHO: http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/en/

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-12-23

On 12/24/2016 at 10:50 AM, johnnysunshine said:

"Ebola vaccine highly effective"    Oh, really, effective in what specifically other than creating more sickness and reliance on man-made solutions.

Hmmm..........not really living up to your avatar are you!! 

On 12/24/2016 at 10:50 AM, johnnysunshine said:

"Ebola vaccine highly effective"    Oh, really, effective in what specifically other than creating more sickness and reliance on man-made solutions.

And your viable alternative is........................?

Nothing wrong with criticism but make it constructive!

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, johnnysunshine said:

Please Google Robert Kennedy's statements on vaccines unless you think he  is a hoax like Ebola!

I read this which says enough for me....  

www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-robert-f-kennedy-jr-distorted-vaccine-science1/  

Also I was born in 1947 and later saw kids who had contracted polio, if fact one guy was basically "paralysed" from the waist down and I pushed him around in his wheelchair from the age of about 11 until I was 15 and although he wanted to be self sufficient, he couldn't of course. A few years later I met a lovely looking girl who was in the same predicament; not pleasant for them, but my point is that in my youth there were others who had to wear calipers because they'd contracted polio, and it wasn't an uncommon sight..........

Vaccines have brought seven major human diseases under some degree of control - smallpox, diphtheria, tetanus, yellow fever, whooping cough, polio, and measles and for someone like me who has benefitted from this science, I consider the anti-vaccine brigade to be spouting rubbish, innuendo and pseudo science.

Very proud that this vaccine was discovered in my hometown. Meanwhile the great drug companies  spend more on marketing than research. Just too bad our former conservative ideological gov gave it away for a pittance and sat on a supply while African dead were piling on the street. Rot in hell Harper.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/11/25/the_strange_tale_of_canadas_ebola_vaccine_walkom.html

On 11/02/2017 at 11:50 AM, xylophone said:

I read this which says enough for me....  

www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-robert-f-kennedy-jr-distorted-vaccine-science1/  

Also I was born in 1947 and later saw kids who had contracted polio, if fact one guy was basically "paralysed" from the waist down and I pushed him around in his wheelchair from the age of about 11 until I was 15 and although he wanted to be self sufficient, he couldn't of course. A few years later I met a lovely looking girl who was in the same predicament; not pleasant for them, but my point is that in my youth there were others who had to wear calipers because they'd contracted polio, and it wasn't an uncommon sight..........

Vaccines have brought seven major human diseases under some degree of control - smallpox, diphtheria, tetanus, yellow fever, whooping cough, polio, and measles and for someone like me who has benefitted from this science, I consider the anti-vaccine brigade to be spouting rubbish, innuendo and pseudo science.

Indeed. As a polio 'survivor' I am always mystified by the anti-vaccine zealots: possibly they would have us revert to 'healing' via bleeding or prognosis via the reading of tea leaves. 

Jonas Salk and Albert Sabin , great heroes of medical science IMO, saved tens of thousands of lives and millions were spared the ravages of polio through their vaccines.

Perhaps people don't understand the extent of the polio epidemics and the terror it created...and are too far removed from the Ebola zones that it doesn't seem a threat.

Great news about this vaccine.

3 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Indeed. As a polio 'survivor' I am always mystified by the anti-vaccine zealots: possibly they would have us revert to 'healing' via bleeding or prognosis via the reading of tea leaves. 

Jonas Salk and Albert Sabin , great heroes of medical science IMO, saved tens of thousands of lives and millions were spared the ravages of polio through their vaccines.

Perhaps people don't understand the extent of the polio epidemics and the terror it created...and are too far removed from the Ebola zones that it doesn't seem a threat.

Great news about this vaccine.

Well there was panic on CNN while the Ebola outbreak was happening but like most sensationalism it dissipates quickly thereafter.

Archived