Army Chief Shrugs Off Cyber Assault; Sites Remain Down

webfact

Army Chief Shrugs Off Cyber Assault; Sites Remain Down

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter -

fist.jpg

An image created as part of a campaign by Chulalongkorn University students who Thursday launched the Free Internet Society of Thailand activist group.

BANGKOK — There are only two ways to deal with those opposed to the Computer Crime Act, according to the army chief. First, try to make them understand. If they don’t, then prosecute them.

Army chief Chalermchai Sittisart on Friday played down the effects of this week’s online attacks on the government, saying they resulted in little damage. He warned the attackers, who he described as mostly youths, that it was not worth losing their futures if caught and punished.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/12/23/army-chief-shrugs-off-cyber-assault-sites-remain/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-12-23

Just now, baboon said:

"He warned the attackers, who he described as mostly youths, that it was not worth losing their futures if caught and punished."

What futures?

They might not be allowed to join the army, rise to the top, make lots of money and stage a coup.

Isn't that what every young man dreams of ?   ?

Just look at all the social media entries they'll miss out on.

3 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

They might not be allowed to join the army, rise to the top, make lots of money and stage a coup.

Isn't that what every young man dreams of ?   ?

Just look at all the social media entries they'll miss out on.

Or find work in journalism slavishly reproducing government press releases...

Would be interesting to know who's in charge of countering the hackers. Is it some top dog's nieces and grandsons, etc. Looking at immigration's 90 day reporting online, it seems they don't have a clue about modern day I.T. 

The Royal Thai Army Cyber Unit is in charge.

Its main concern is the dissemination of misinformation by enemies of the state for the purpose sowing social unrest and damaging national security.

14455190121445519327l.jpg

I seem to remember that last year when government websites were attacked by the Anonymous group the Thai police said they would track them down and arrest them all.

I can only assume they did and that is why they feel so confident about their website security.?

Sadly the control freaks in the military government have no interpersonal skills. They know how to bark orders at subordinates, salute and pin medals on each other. They care little for the people they control.

Backslapping in the officer's mess and dreaming up new ways of controlling the population is what is all about.

Their knowledge of economics is almost negligible as we witness the progressive decline of the economy. They want to spend money on war games toys (submarines and tanks) and grandiose infrasructure while the rest of the country is in a progressive state of decay. Buildings falling down, sewage system failing, rampant corruption and an education system which can't even meet the most basic requirements.

I fear for the future of most of the Thai people.

22 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Would be interesting to know who's in charge of countering the hackers. Is it some top dog's nieces and grandsons, etc. Looking at immigration's 90 day reporting online, it seems they don't have a clue about modern day I.T. 

Same could be said of Thai airways.

On 23/12/2016 at 3:49 PM, baboon said:

"He warned the attackers, who he described as mostly youths, that it was not worth losing their futures if caught and punished."

What futures?

In Thailand? None.  They are better off heading to other countries.

"Army Chief Shrugs Off Cyber Assault; Sites Remain Down"  Uptime is extremely important with regards to the Internet.  Shrugging off uptime tells us they have no clue as the importance having a good, stable Internet.  Businesses go elsewhere for privacy and quality Internet.  Thailand is not the place for you.

On 12/23/2016 at 2:19 PM, webfact said:

BANGKOK — There are only two ways to deal with those opposed to the Computer Crime Act, according to the army chief. First, try to make them understand. If they don’t, then prosecute them.

Whats that old saying "You just cannot have one without the other" or is it "My way or the highway" I can hardly wait for Democracy 2 after the so called election is over. Should be a seamless transition. 

24 minutes ago, candide said:

Where? :)

Google made easy. Unlike some others I am a patient explainer. 

Using or putting on the "velvet glove" suggests the use of gentle but effective persuasion. The glove is the depiction of the proverbial hand that indicates manipulation or active influence to a desired outcome; it being made of velvet encourages the perception of subtlety and deftness of such influence. 

The full definition is opposed to the threatening coercion connotated by the opposite but more well known term "iron fist".

2 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Google made easy. Unlike some others I am a patient explainer. 

Using or putting on the "velvet glove" suggests the use of gentle but effective persuasion. The glove is the depiction of the proverbial hand that indicates manipulation or active influence to a desired outcome; it being made of velvet encourages the perception of subtlety and deftness of such influence. 

The full definition is opposed to the threatening coercion connotated by the opposite but more well known term "iron fist".

Sorry for the misunderstanding raised by my post. It was just a bad joke. Hmmmmm.  You know... where a fist can be put....

2 hours ago, candide said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding raised by my post. It was just a bad joke. Hmmmmm.  You know... where a fist can be put....

Being here so many years sometimes the joke part sometimes escapes me. Its like my g/f when I tell her a joke I have follow up saying its a ha ha ha. Then she goes ha ha ha. Will give you an e for effort. 

On 12/23/2016 at 7:21 PM, Nbarch said:

I seem to remember that last year when government websites were attacked by the Anonymous group the Thai police said they would track them down and arrest them all.

I can only assume they did and that is why they feel so confident about their website security.?

And I have another good joke - about Aug/Sep last year, some Government/BMA spokesperson said Bangkok traffic problems will be fixed within one month! :unsure:

LOM = Land of mouths? :whistling:

6 hours ago, lvr181 said:

And I have another good joke - about Aug/Sep last year, some Government/BMA spokesperson said Bangkok traffic problems will be fixed within one month! :unsure:

LOM = Land of mouths? :whistling:

It cost money and some deep thinking to solve the problem. Both are sadly lacking at the moment. 

Archived