My Bangkok Bank Experience.

Rabbit is just a payment system that allows use of the Be1st UnionPay or Visa cards to pay for Bangkok rapid transit rides and/or earn awards. 

https://card.rabbit.co.th/en

https://rewards.rabbit.co.th/en

It's just an additional feature integrated into the bank's UnionPay and Visa cards.  Full details at the Bangkok Bank website.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Pages/B1stnewdefault.aspx

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, wayned said:

[…] imagine if it were a Thai with little English capabilities dealing with a bank or business in the US in a small town like Lafite Louisiana […]

The OP demanded to speak with the boss, then spoke only English to this boss who did not seem to understand English, accused him of making up his own rules, and then later posted online, calling the staff stupid and rejected the idea of calling Bangkok Bank for assistance/translation, because “they would be too stupid to understand”.

Looking at Bangkok Bank’s website, there are 3 cards which contain the word “rabbit”, so presumably the 600 baht card he was offered, was one of these 3, just not the one the OP wanted.

Though the cheapest one has an entrance fee of 100 baht, and the annual price will increase to 300 baht next year (from 200 baht), so he should probably expect to pay 300 baht annually. There is also a 200 baht fee for monthly statements, but I assume that is optional.

I suggest the OP figure out exactly what card he is after, print out the info from the website, then simply go to a branch and ask if they have this variation of the card, rather than waste time accusing the branch manager of making up his own rules when no-one understands him.

On 12/24/2016 at 7:25 PM, eeyang wah said:

Please let us know when you find a bank that can behave in a professional manner.

I have been with Krungthai for 4+ years, I have relied on them for all sorts of things, and while there have certainly been things that took longer than I would have expected, it has always been done with a smile and without me ever having to call upon the manager (a rather stupid gesture, especially in Thailand, as it serves little other point than to try and embarrass the clerk).

I have recommended Krungthai before, and I have helped two friends open accounts there.

But honestly, I think some of the people posting on this forum run into problems wherever they go.

A Thai recently asked me to help out in a situation with foreigners and Thais “clashing”, he basically said that he needed my help with the foreigners, because I understand Thais, and he hoped that I could explain “the Thai way” to these foreigners. I found this rather funny, because to me there is no “Thai way”, it was just the foreigners acting inappropriate.

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:53 AM, Pib said:

Just to confirm, what card network logo is on your cards....you didn't mention the logo in above or your previous post.  Are the cards, UnionPay, Visa, Mastercard, or ?????

And just to confirm/to be sure, there is a difference between a ATM card that can only be used for ATM withdrawals compared to a debit card that can be used for ATM withdrawals, purchases, and other things.   Some people use the word ATM card and Debit Card interchangeability, but they can be completely different animals although an ATM card (can get cash only) have declined in availability over recent years....instead many banks only issue debit cards.    Just want to make sure you are not really talking a ATM card which can be used to get cash only.

And above mentioned banks may have decided to issue their cards using a 6 digit PIN versus a 4 digit PIN regardless of the logo on the card.   Actually newer ATMs/POSs machines if complying with ISO 9564 can handle up to 12 digit PIN cards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9564

Thank you Pib, never knew all this.

On the SCB card is the Mastercard logo, old card not changed yet.

Bangkok bank card no logo at all, Bualuang Card also old and not changed yet which BKK Bnk is urging me to do.

GSB card is new and has the Visa logo with the words "privileged Member" whatever that means, 6 digit pin.

Thank you for any explanation.

• 1 month later...

ATM ate my Bangkok bank be first smart chip visa debit card on Tuesday. 

Went to branch in emquartier and was told they have discontinued the visa debit cards and now only offer union pay! !!!! Couldn't believe it. She even called call centre who confirmed bangkok bank no longer issue visa debit cards and only deal with union pay.

Duly emptied my account and opened one up with kasikorn bank who were only too happy to give me a visa debit card.

Union pay is not as well known world wide as a previous posted mentioned

Although may enquire at head branch at chitlom to see if any actual visa debit cards. 

• 4 months later...

Whew........Bangkok Bank, what a pain. while visiting bangkok in 2005 i opened a tourist savings account while periodically sending money over for when i would vacation again, in 2015 the card expired, without a valid card BKK phone support wont even talk to you, i wrote a letter to the branch where i opened, i called phone banking many times pleading with them  for a way to get a new card, i emailed BKK new york several times with no resolve, they answered that the only way to get a new card is to show up in Person at a branch in thailand, i live in Arizona, i had about $1500.00 in the account and it would have cost me about the same to fly over to renew the card ( i used the card here a couple of times in emergency) so spend $1500.00 to save $1500.00. couldnt afford the trip, so to keep the acount alive i would periodicaly transfer $30.00 to keep the account active (every 3 months or so), i just tried to make another transfer but it was returned as my BKK account couldnt be located................they closed/seized it, i have many explatives to describe BKK customer service, land of smiles you say? well im not smiling. incredibly bad service. dont bank with them. i just cant descibe how i feel about that.

Patrick