In Praise of Nancy L

Simbaya

Oh, please folks I was the one who hijacked the thread in suggesting that the most "Nancy-like" person in this year's POTY contest is Naam.  Let's give Jingthing a break.  If you venture much outside the Chiang Mai forurm on ThaiVisa, you'll see that JT was a much-deserving winner of the 2014 tiara and I'd like to see the tradition continue of honoring those who are helpful in their posts.   This year Naam most meets that criteria.

(I won't get into the qualities of the other candidates, because I'd like to keep this tread up-beat and positive.)

I think everyone has said just about everything nice that can be said about me.  I'm not Mother Theresa.  Just ask Hubby.  He'll tell you about the time he had to pay a 2000 baht fine for failure to submit a 90-day report on time.  As he pointed out to me, I'm out at Immigration frequently helping "every other old guy in Chiang Mai", so it would seem the least I could do is remember when his 90 day report is due.  Or ask Mr. Bitey's sister.  She's staring at me right now, imploring me to get off my bum and go shovel the cat box because Mr. Bitey just dropped a stinker and she'd like to use the litter box,  please.  But no, I'm too busy typing on that stupid computer that's blocking my wonderful lap that's intended for cat lounging.

I concur with the positive messages on this thread. The amount of people Nancy has helped in real life is astounding.  

I've watched with dismay the level of vile, obsessive, and misogynistic garbage sent her way in the last year. It's an embarrassment. 

Keep up the good work, Nancy. You have more admirers than you will ever know. 

A bit late to the party, but thank you for all the work you do, not only on Thai Visa but helping others in lots of different ways.  I don't know how you find the time for it all, but it really is appreciated.

Piping in here once again to announce that there has been a SHOCK finish in the POTY contest 2016.

We all thought transam had won at the voting deadline with a healthy margin but the management had a close look at all the BOGUS votes and justly determined that the actual winner was the one ENDORSED by the wonderful NancyL -- Naam!

So even though some people were annoyed by the bit of POTY campaigning here by NancyL and myself, perhaps it made the difference for Naam, along with the campaign I did on supposedly Naam's "home" forum -- Pattaya.

Keep up the good work, NancyL! 

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Piping in here once again to announce that there has been a SHOCK finish in the POTY contest 2016.

We all thought transam had won at the voting deadline with a healthy margin but the management had a close look at all the BOGUS votes and justly determined that the actual winner was the one ENDORSED by the wonderful NancyL -- Naam!

So even though some people were annoyed by the bit of POTY campaigning here by NancyL and myself, perhaps it made the difference for Naam, along with the campaign I did on supposedly Naam's "home" forum -- Pattaya.

Keep up the good work, NancyL! 

A few posters here giving praise and saying how great each other are.

It`s the unsung heroes that I really admire, those who are genuinely kind, do good, expect nothing in return and rarely receive acknowledgements for their good will, not those who promote and continually try to keep us aware that they are do gooders and wallowing in all the attention.

,During my time residing in C.Mai have seen many kindly deeds,been carried out by

Thai Nationals, who unselfishly give up their time, to help those less  fortunate than ourselves

who seek no recognition,or reward,  in any shape  or form,in fact they would be extremely embarassed, by a thread of this nature

as you rightly say Cybes, the silent ones are the real Heroes

its a David Bowie, good morning to all

Edited by evenstevens

i actually find her a bit of a buttinsky always poking her nose in almost every topic and her constant referral to hubby makes my toes curl. i'm sure that she must come from a vowel state. you know iowa or ohio they are all like that

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Don't forget that moggy as well!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

54 minutes ago, cmtg1 said:

i actually find her a bit of a buttinsky always poking her nose in almost every topic and her constant referral to hubby makes my toes curl. i'm sure that she must come from a vowel state. you know iowa or ohio they are all like that

I cannot agree with above.  I've ALWAYS found her contributions to be positive and informative.  Of course, my following of her writings only date back to '10, or perhaps '11, but nevertheless, I insist that her knowledge has been a gift to us all.  I accept that her office in Expats has doubtless made her more involved, but in all cases, informed - so far as we can be.

5 minutes ago, harrry said:

Ag

The moggie did not do anything.  It is al NancyLs fault.....but much as she may annoy people few have done so much for so many in ChiangMai.  

I would suggest there are a lot more than you know about.

The post title is "In Praise of Nancy L".

Let us refrain from comparing apples against oranges assimilating Nancy to a Thai national who may extend goodwill towards an expatriate on an occasion or thrice.

Nancy has a track record of immersion within the expatriate community and does her benelovent acts from her own fortitude.

I have never met Nancy but hope to early next year at a CEC Breakfast.

Additionaly, I am content to be "hubby" when Opal traipses me around.

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

Don't forget that moggy as well!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Oh one of the great things about Chiang Mai is how so many English-speaking expats have come together and we get to learn each other's slang.  I had to look up the term "moggy" learned it is English slang for a non-pedigreed cat and in New Zealand and Australia it specifically refers to a tabby with an "M" marking on its forehead as many tabbies, like Mr. Bitey, have.  Did you know that at one time several hundred years ago the term was used by the English to refer to the family milk cow, not a mongrel cat?

Oops, sorry there I go butting in again.

2 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

The post title is "In Praise of Nancy L".

Let us refrain from comparing apples against oranges assimilating Nancy to a Thai national who may extend goodwill towards an expatriate on an occasion or thrice.

Nancy has a track record of immersion within the expatriate community and does her benelovent acts from her own fortitude.

I have never met Nancy but hope to early next year at a CEC Breakfast.

Additionaly, I am content to be "hubby" when Opal traipses me around.

A Thai National efforts, is  no different to Nancy l efforts so your orange AND apples assimalation is a very weak one, to ask to refrain,and remain on topic baloney

make sure you take a Doggy  Bag., to the Gods Waiting Room brekky

its  a Guns N Roses evening to all

During the 1990s in Chiang Mai, I knew an Englishman, his name was Mike and his lovely wife, Barbara.  Mike was not a millionaire but he was well off, his career was a military advisor for the British army.

He and his wife first arrived in Chiang Mai with intentions of staying 3 weeks on holiday. Then what made his attention were the many young kid sellers of flowers and souvenirs to tourists roaming around tourist area streets and bars during the late of night, sometimes even in the early hours of the morning. It was a moving experience for Mike and he decided to take action and rescue some of those kids. He extended his stay in Chiang Mai for 10 months for that purpose, it became his mission, although many told him it was an impossible task but Mike was determined.

Mike somehow made contact with the mafia gangs that owned those kids, then by making negotiations between himself, the mafia and the police that included large payoffs, he managed to secure adoptive parents and get those children out of the control of the mafia, off the streets and adopted 2 of those kids himself, a boy and a girl and took them back to England into the bargain. All this cost him thousands of pounds of his own money.

No fuss, no publicity, did not hit the headlines and he preferred to keep this discrete. Only a very few of us knew this was happening at the time. The reason being is that some people have an unlimited capacity for love in their hearts that is enough and not seeking recognition for their great deeds in helping others. 

The 2 children Mike adopted progressed into fine outstanding young adults with University degrees, the boy studying engineering in England. Sadly Mike died of a heart attack 5 years ago age 61 and I was devastated when I received the news. That man was a true unsung hero with no motives for gain, and there are many like him that we never get to hear about. All the rest I read on TV about these good Samaritans to me are just irrelevant people. 

38 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

During the 1990s in Chiang Mai, I knew an Englishman, his name was Mike and his lovely wife, Barbara.  Mike was not a millionaire but he was well off, his career was a military advisor for the British army.

He and his wife first arrived in Chiang Mai with intentions of staying 3 weeks on holiday. Then what made his attention were the many young kid sellers of flowers and souvenirs to tourists roaming around tourist area streets and bars during the late of night, sometimes even in the early hours of the morning. It was a moving experience for Mike and he decided to take action and rescue some of those kids. He extended his stay in Chiang Mai for 10 months for that purpose, it became his mission, although many told him it was an impossible task but Mike was determined.

Mike somehow made contact with the mafia gangs that owned those kids, then by making negotiations between himself, the mafia and the police that included large payoffs, he managed to secure adoptive parents and get those children out of the control of the mafia, off the streets and adopted 2 of those kids himself, a boy and a girl and took them back to England into the bargain. All this cost him thousands of pounds of his own money.

No fuss, no publicity, did not hit the headlines and he preferred to keep this discrete. Only a very few of us knew this was happening at the time. The reason being is that some people have an unlimited capacity for love in their hearts that is enough and not seeking recognition for their great deeds in helping others. 

The 2 children Mike adopted progressed into fine outstanding young adults with University degrees, the boy studying engineering in England. Sadly Mike died of a heart attack 5 years ago age 61 and I was devastated when I received the news. That man was a true unsung hero with no motives for gain, and there are many like him that we never get to hear about. All the rest I read on TV about these good Samaritans to me are just irrelevant people. 

So start a topic yourself "in praise of Mike".

Better yet send Hollywood a script.

Simbaya initiated this topic with a simple statement giving praise for Nancy and her deeds.

Others chipped in similarly.

Dont feel the same, move on, next topic maybe more to your liking, easy.

4 hours ago, evenstevens said:

A Thai National efforts, is  no different to Nancy l efforts so your orange AND apples assimalation is a very weak one, to ask to refrain,and remain on topic baloney

make sure you take a Doggy  Bag., to the Gods Waiting Room brekky

its  a Guns N Roses evening to all

I beg to differ, but that's my opinion only.

Nothing wrong with staying topical, that's decorum.

Doggy bag furthest thing from my mind as attendance will be after an Imperial Mae Ping buffet breakfast.

Probably end up being an expensive fruit juice and a slice of toast for me.

Even Mother Teresa had her critics.

Keep up the good work Nancy.

However, there is one thing I would like to take issue with. That is your stubborn contention that the term farang is somehow derogatory. It most certainly is not when used alone. Nor is it slang. The word has been part of the Thai lexicon since the early 16th century; taken from the Farsi, farangi. It wasn't used as a racial insult then and it isn't now.

Anyone who has lived among Thais for any length of time knows that they use it in a non-derogatory sense.

Promoting the mistaken notion that it is a racist term will cause newcomers to take offense where none is intended.

All the best in 2017. 

1 hour ago, CMHomeboy78 said:

However, there is one thing I would like to take issue with. That is your stubborn contention that the term farang is somehow derogatory. It most certainly is not when used alone. Nor is it slang. The word has been part of the Thai lexicon since the early 16th century; taken from the Farsi, farangi. It wasn't used as a racial insult then and it isn't now.

Anyone who has lived among Thais for any length of time knows that they use it in a non-derogatory sense.

Promoting the mistaken notion that it is a racist term will cause newcomers to take offense where none is intended.

All the best in 2017. 

"The word farang may have either originated from the Hindi word firangi (Devanāgarī: फिरंगी, "foreign"), a derogatory term for Europeans that was coined during British colonial rule in India, or from the Persian word farang (فرنگ) or farangī (فرنگی), meaning "Frank, European".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang

47 minutes ago, Diplomatico said:

"The word farang may have either originated from the Hindi word firangi (Devanāgarī: फिरंगी, "foreign"), a derogatory term for Europeans that was coined during British colonial rule in India, or from the Persian word farang (فرنگ) or farangī (فرنگی), meaning "Frank, European".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang

The Farsi word and its inclusion into the Thai language predated the Hindi word that was coined during British colonial rule in India.

The word farang as used by Thais is not an insult... and it never was.

34 minutes ago, CMHomeboy78 said:

The Farsi word and its inclusion into the Thai language predated the Hindi word that was coined during British colonial rule in India.

The word farang as used by Thais is not an insult... and it never was.

The Thais description of white Europeans as Farangs, origins has never been clearly established. There have been several explanations as to how this may have came about but nothing conclusive.

No one seems to be sure whether this term is derogatory or just a way of describing Europeans, could be that it`s both depending on the situation and how it`s interpreted.

4 hours ago, CMHomeboy78 said:

All the best in 2017. 

I support Nancy on this one and what i find derogatory is the inappropriate use of the word on this Forum.

A while back a Poster sent me the results of a Thai Visa questionnaire about what people thought about the use of word 'Farang' He posted it to defend the use of the word as a majority thought it was not offensive. However, there was a second question asking about how many people thought the word should be avoided if 5% / 10% / 15% etc. found the word to be offensive. Even at a low level of 10 per cent (well below the percentage who found the word offensive) most stated that the word should be avoided but this has been conveniently ignored. This is an English forum i don't expect Westerners to describe me as a 'Farang' !

1 hour ago, rogeroc said:

I support Nancy on this one and what i find derogatory is the inappropriate use of the word on this Forum.

A while back a Poster sent me the results of a Thai Visa questionnaire about what people thought about the use of word 'Farang' He posted it to defend the use of the word as a majority thought it was not offensive. However, there was a second question asking about how many people thought the word should be avoided if 5% / 10% / 15% etc. found the word to be offensive. Even at a low level of 10 per cent (well below the percentage who found the word offensive) most stated that the word should be avoided but this has been conveniently ignored. This is an English forum i don't expect Westerners to describe me as a 'Farang' !

Yes, but they do. Even I have got into the bad habit of describing other white people as Farangs or Farlangs as I usually call them.

Been here for so long now that I even smile at other Farlangs just like the Thais do. It`s become a force of habit. If I were in a public place in England and smiled at another guy, I`d probably end up getting my teeth knocked out and why I suppose I could never return there, I have contracted a dose of incurable Thainess.