Dual citizenship passport issue at border

I crossed into Thailand yesterday at the Phu Nam Ron crossing from Myanmar as I have 2 passports one Irish and one US. Entering and leaving Myanmar I used my sparkling new Irish passport as I wanted to get the first stamp in it and because my US passport pages are filling up quickly. When I entered Thailand yesterday I attempted to use my US passport as G7 countries get 30 days at land border crossings, the immigration officer looked for my exit stamp from Myanmar so I had to explain I used my irish passport there. He insisted I had to use my Irish passport which would only give me 15 days, I politely argued that it was irrelevant which passport I use in myanmar as having dual citizenship entitled me to switch between both. He became quite pissed off and at one stage queried what I was up to, I told him many people have dual citizenship and can use either freely. You can guess who won the argument or shall I say discussion, he actually lectured me that I am not a kid any more and should have known I could not do this, previously a few years ago I did this travelling in south america and was not aware of a potential problem.

Now I have to do a border run in 2 weeks, in order to get 30 days do I have to fly back in to thailand in order to get that 30 days?

Edited by limirl
misspelling

27 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

As far as I know, the only way you can change passports is in the air.

As said you can not change passports on a land crossing in Thailand.  You must show the exit stamp from other country in the passport you are using to enter Thailand - and this is normally always checked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, harrry said:

I am sorry I was wrong at the moment this is land borders.  I would not try to rely on visa exempts by air though.  They can still refuse.

they could ALWAYS refuse (discretion of IO) but i cannot believe a visitor arriving in bkk with return ticket within 30 days will be refused entry even if it were his 3rd exempt entry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mook23 said:

they could ALWAYS refuse (discretion of IO) but i cannot believe a visitor arriving in bkk with return ticket within 30 days will be refused entry even if it were his 3rd exempt entry.

If you do make sure you have 20000baht cash on you....no cards, to match the financial requirement too.

5 hours ago, limirl said:

Now I have to do a border run in 2 weeks, in order to get 30 days do I have to fly back in to thailand in order to get that 30 days?

• You can apply for a 30 day extension of stay at an immigration office for 1,900 baht.
  • Yes you will get 30 days using either passport if flying in.

They want to see an exit stamp from the neighboring country in the passport being used to enter Thailand to evidence, in the passport, that you've legally crossed borders.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

IMO scare mongering.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-visa-runners-caught-cash-immigration-scare/30941#ad-image-0

this is only one case which has happened

I am personally aware of one cased where the immigration officer insisted on the person withrawing the cash to show him.  Fortunately he had access to two credit cards, he had to use his foreign credit card to withdraw a cash advance as his thai bank had a limit of 10000baht a day through ATM machines.  The balance slip was nt accepted.

what is your reference to prove your derogatory accusation.

Edited by harrry

5 minutes ago, harrry said:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-visa-runners-caught-cash-immigration-scare/30941#ad-image-0

There has been numerous reports on this forum by people who have stated that Immigration only accepted cash as a way of proof

We all know that a lot of I/Os make up their own rules or do not understand the correct ones

• Like 1

I am personally aware of one cased where the immigration officer insisted on the person withrawing the cash to show him.  Fortunately he had access to two credit cards, he had to use his foreign credit card to withdraw a cash advance as his thai bank had a limit of 10000baht a day through ATM machines.  The balance slip was nt accepted.

Your case is a van, not flying in as discussed here.
In the van example they could withdraw, earlier you stated no cards.
And derogatory, come on, just saying he should not worry.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1