Motorcyclist killed by expressway barrier in illegal jaunt

webfact

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

I arrived in Bangkok during Black May 1992, with tanks rolling on the streets.

Who is the newbie here?

I just don't spend my time on a forum venting my anger and writing utter clap-trap. 

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

You failed big time.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, JamJar said:

You need help....

Then I guess I need help as well. you should see the side of my truck (long scrapes, scratches and gouges inthe paint. Both mirrors now loose, from them always racing by in the too small space between the next vehicle. As in when there are large wide coaches or lorries on either side. And racing up out of nowhere. They never ever want to be delayed and have to put that one foot down. When they do get by in that small crack sometimes they are annoyed enough to smash my mirror. but never in traffic. Only when they can zoom off. My Thai wife calls them oxygen thieves and claps in joy at the sight of one such as this young Darwin awardee. He was not killed by the barrier but by his own stupidity and the fact that he thought he was Superman and invincible.

1 minute ago, catinthehat said:

Then I guess I need help as well. you should see the side of my truck (long scrapes, scratches and gouges inthe paint. Both mirrors now loose, from them always racing by in the too small space between the next vehicle. As in when there are large wide coaches or lorries on either side. And racing up out of nowhere. They never ever want to be delayed and have to put that one foot down. When they do get by in that small crack sometimes they are annoyed enough to smash my mirror. but never in traffic. Only when they can zoom off. My Thai wife calls them oxygen thieves and claps in joy at the sight of one such as this young Darwin awardee. He was not killed by the barrier but by his own stupidity and the fact that he thought he was Superman and invincible.

Since I wrote this I've looked back at the other comments. Seems there are many many of us who "need help" by hating, no despising the cockroaches.

There is some logic for not allowing bikes on motorways, although still think that big bikes 500cc + should be allowed.  But there's absolutely no sense of not allowing bikes on elevated bypasses (the one on Rama 4 comes to mind,  there are others).  The whole point of those bypasses is to remove traffic from surface intersections, so why oh why would they want a whole bunch of bikes there.

As far as riding on sidewalks goes i'll make a deal with the complainers here.  When you stop pedestrians walking across the roads anywhere they please, or walking down the road on the pavement instead of the sidewalk, or flagging a taxi down in the middle of an intersection then i'll stop using sidewalks to go around bad traffic spots.  Until then,  it's a busy overcrowded city and we try to get where we need to go in any way we can.

6 minutes ago, outre99 said:

There is some logic for not allowing bikes on motorways, although still think that big bikes 500cc + should be allowed.  But there's absolutely no sense of not allowing bikes on elevated bypasses (the one on Rama 4 comes to mind,  there are others).  The whole point of those bypasses is to remove traffic from surface intersections, so why oh why would they want a whole bunch of bikes there.

As far as riding on sidewalks goes i'll make a deal with the complainers here.  When you stop pedestrians walking across the roads anywhere they please, or walking down the road on the pavement instead of the sidewalk, or flagging a taxi down in the middle of an intersection then i'll stop using sidewalks to go around bad traffic spots.  Until then,  it's a busy overcrowded city and we try to get where we need to go in any way we can.

Really nice explaination. How do you think that one will work together with the Thai society?

3 hours ago, hobz said:

Almost got killed today in traffic. So tired of the idiots on the road.

Instead of just complaining i wonder if we could get together likeminded people and petition the government to do something about road safety. Maybe someone could create a petition on change.org and once we reach x signatures send it to .. Someone? Ideas?

So you have a moment right now. 

a) Choose to write that change.org petition yourself or 

B) Accept asian reality, be smart, re-read your post and get off the bike. 

If you wait for the accident,  you won't think option A so smart. And it will happen. It is a choice you make. Not really about changing 'other' to conform. Just you.

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

I arrived in Bangkok during Black May 1992, with tanks rolling on the streets.

Who is the newbie here?

I just don't spend my time on a forum venting my anger and writing utter clap-trap. 

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Oh the irony.  ???

4 hours ago, losworld said:

I think a lot of people have misdirected anger issues.  First off riding on the sidewalk is legal if roadways are congested and if you took the Thai motorbike course you would realize this.  Although I have issues with crazy motorbike drivers the car drivers are far more dangerous and it the pedestrians that actually need the most protection.

The Thai motorbike course!!!

Try the advanced bike test in UK then post about the skills you learned.

Blah Blah Blah I've done it because lets face it the law is <deleted> stupid when it comes to elevated roads hee and in the AM hours you want to get home and if it saves you an hour and the roads are excellent up there then why not.

How he came to grief at boom gates is anyones guess until someone finds the CCTV

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

Since I wrote this I've looked back at the other comments. Seems there are many many of us who "need help" by hating, no despising the cockroaches.

I don't think anyone is posting out of hate. They are most likely posting based on experience gathered over many years here and from disbelief at the beginning that in time changes to acceptance which eventually becomes  annoyance when they realise how little an effort  it would take to change things for the better.

I have a friend here who used to race bikes in Europe, and I don't mean to the pub and back. His son is now learning to race, taught by his dad and the first lessons comcerned learning to ride safely on the road and do it properly with regard to safety and the law.

It doesn't seem to be on the good general's list to protect the youth. But foreign girls in tiny bikinis are worth to spread a lot of nonsense about.

Is the Health Minister here really healthy and knows what health means?

What about the Education Minister? Does he really know how important education really is?

The generals and admirals can't be good in anything regarding laws and the enforcement of them, including all the countless problems that have to be changed.

The heads should first roll at the top, otherwise, they'll never change anything. 

I've seen so many teenagers on Isaan roads dying and there's no light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by lostinisaan

8 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

anyone using BangNa Trad at night should be careful. Too many of these motorcycle gangs around. They are usually active on the eve and the holidays. 

If I may, and with your permission, can I change ' motorcycle gangs' to ' bunches of brainless <deleted> on souped up, uninsured, untaxed non road worthy pieces of crap'.

Or, I could be blunt.

??????

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, lostinisaan said:

It doesn't seem to be on the good general's list to protect the youth. But foreign girls in tiny bikinis are worth to spread a lot of nonsense about.

What about the Education Minister? Does he really know how important education really is?

The generals and admirals can't be good in anything regarding laws and the enforcement of them, including all the countless problems that have to be changed.

The heads should first roll at the top, otherwise, they'll never change anything. 

I've seen so many teenagers on Isaan roads dying and there's no light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes there is, is they carry on killing themselves then slowly but surely they will wipe them selves out and be prevented from breeding, a win win situation I think.

14 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

OK, your RIP comment is appropriate, but Cuchulainn was merely stating an obvious fact.

What on earth was the young man trying to do in the early hours of the morning at a speed that knocked him off the machine and reportedly left the machine 300* metres away from his body.  Mr Darwin's name is often introduced at this stage and perhaps in this case it is appropriate.

He wasn't killed by a speeding Benz driver but a solid drop down barrier at an unmanned toll booth. .

* I suspect it was more like 30 metres?

Yep, stating the frigging obvious, he ought to get a gold medal for that.

Thanks for conceding my RIP comment was appropriate, like I needed your approval, some posters Eh.

I haven't a clue what the young un was doing but during my life time I've had a couple of near misses with things which could have gone the wrong way, if you haven't then you aint lived.

Lads lost his life and quips like some people make just don't wash i'm afraid.

4 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

Problem with Isaan roads is that there are no lights at both ends of their vehicles...

1 hour ago, sotonowl said:

Yep, stating the frigging obvious, he ought to get a gold medal for that.

Thanks for conceding my RIP comment was appropriate, like I needed your approval, some posters Eh.

I haven't a clue what the young un was doing but during my life time I've had a couple of near misses with things which could have gone the wrong way, if you haven't then you aint lived.

Lads lost his life and quips like some people make just don't wash i'm afraid.

funny.........".you  aint  lived"  ends  in  death , how  ironic,  fortunately for  me  then  "i  aint  lived"........ rip, talk  about  stating  the  frigging   obvious...................some  posters  eh

Edited by kannot

18 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

Just sick sore and tired of aarsehole motorbike riders thinking they own the roads and footpaths.

Well there are certainly a lot of other vehicle drivers with that same attitude making life difficult or short for motorbike drivers, but that's not the point. If motorcyclists are illegally riding on the expressways should the police not be able to catch them, surely there is some surveillance.

Just some dumb kid, having a stupid and sadly fatal accident. Possibly under some influence.

6 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Yes there is, is they carry on killing themselves then slowly but surely they will wipe them selves out and be prevented from breeding, a win win situation I think.

Problem is, they produce them faster than they die...like bacteria and viruses...

15 hours ago, hobz said:

Almost got killed today in traffic. So tired of the idiots on the road.

Instead of just complaining i wonder if we could get together likeminded people and petition the government to do something about road safety. Maybe someone could create a petition on change.org and once we reach x signatures send it to .. Someone? Ideas?

Impossible ...lawlessness is engraved in the DNA of Thai people... the most selfish culture next to the Chinese...

4 hours ago, kannot said:

funny.........".you  aint  lived"  ends  in  death , how  ironic,  fortunately for  me  then  "i  aint  lived"........ rip, talk  about  stating  the  frigging   obvious...................some  posters  eh

When I want your opinion, i'll let you know what it is.

14 hours ago, optad said:

So you have a moment right now. 

a) Choose to write that change.org petition yourself or 

B) Accept asian reality, be smart, re-read your post and get off the bike. 

If you wait for the accident,  you won't think option A so smart. And it will happen. It is a choice you make. Not really about changing 'other' to conform. Just you.

Do you recommend anyone who values their lives stop driving bikes or just me?