Raffle ticket win

Paul Laycock

Christmas Eve, my son's school had the usual entertainment night, singing dancing, martial arts and dancing. My ticket for a table cost 2,000 baht which included raffle tickets.

My sister in law took me along with her children, on arrival she filled out the raffle tickets with names. After two hours I decided I had enough, music too loud and being vibrated to death by the bass. My sister in law drove me home and then returned to the school, low and behold my son won the top prize in the raffle, a washing machine.

At 11pm everyone returned back, I was unaware of the win until the next morning, but where was the washing machine? I'm sure you can guess, yes they have gifted it to themselves and delivered it to their house.

As I payed for tickets is it sour grapes if I kick up a stink, they already have a large washing machine and I could do with a bigger one.

One thing to take into account, my sister in law does my washing, ironing and some cleaning for me. Also daily trips to hospital and every 90 days my run to Savannaket.

Your SIL sounds like an absolute gem doing all that for you. Nothing to moan at here. You just irate that she made the decision to keep it w/o consulting you? Maybe they could give you the old one unless they need both. Sour grapes only if it gets sold on but your risking having to do all that daily grind in the future. 

Principals to the fact overweigh 2000 Baht. I understand your thoughts from an English point of view but from a Thai point of view 'It was there, she had it'. Just reminds me when I take a Box of Chang to the in-laws my SIL will spank the case behind my back so i learn to leave another case in the boot :) Let her keep it with your blessing

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 4 weeks later...

blackcab, 

I get your point, getting around for me is difficult, partially disabled from two strokes and a hip replacement operation along with other complications.

I would like to be able to do more like my own washing, my current machine is small and only takes small loads. My sister in law takes my washing about every 7/10 days then returns to do ironing.

She helps me with everything, shopping, 90 day trips etc.

Comes every day to change a dressing on my infected foot and will be taking me to Ubon Ratchathani hospital next Friday. Recently stayed with me in hospital for a short overnight stay.

I try/do help her every month with money as her husband passed away a couple of years ago.

She has a good heart. Hope that makes it clearer.

If my SIL did all that for me I would have given the washing machine to her anyway with my blessings for all the help that she gave me.

I am still married but I do the washing anyway as I am not as physically unable as you, plus my SIL lives about 400 km away.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/01/2017 at 8:55 AM, Paul Laycock said:

blackcab, 

I get your point, getting around for me is difficult, partially disabled from two strokes and a hip replacement operation along with other complications.

I would like to be able to do more like my own washing, my current machine is small and only takes small loads. My sister in law takes my washing about every 7/10 days then returns to do ironing.

She helps me with everything, shopping, 90 day trips etc.

Comes every day to change a dressing on my infected foot and will be taking me to Ubon Ratchathani hospital next Friday. Recently stayed with me in hospital for a short overnight stay.

I try/do help her every month with money as her husband passed away a couple of years ago.

She has a good heart. Hope that makes it clearer.

Paul

I do understand your wish to retain your independence. It's the thing that keeps you going.

On the other hand she is a good woman who is taking care of you well, at a time when a bit if assistance is welcome.

I've considered this, and I think in your own mind you should gift her the washing machine.

She does a lot for you, but more importantly you would be able to feel that you are giving her something to make her life a better place.

What did the sour grape say when got run over ? Nothing! It just gave out a little whine.
Seriously, that was just Karma's way of saying thank you to her for all she does for you. Your nice guy for asking for some stable advice before going offtrack. Let her enjoy her little win. She probably never wins anything and it makes you look good.