Bar Sukhumvit Soi 5, Dishonest Staff

Greener

Well it had to happen, after spending over 14 years here in Thailand I have only ever been ripped off by my Thai wife. That all changed this week, after attending  <Removed> for a beer with a friend with had just arrived from the UK. There appeared to me to be a team of two working together to rip me off. I paid with a 1000bt note to a girl member of staff for 2 beers and received the change from a 500. I told her at once of her mistake, it was then that this man came from nowhere behind the bar, and said that he had seen me give her the 500 and not a 1000. I know for sure it was a 1000 note because I was only carrying 1000 notes in my wallet at that time of the evening. These two scammers just shrugged their shoulders as much as to say hard luck mate we have got you. I wish that I had taken a picture of these two low-life's and also asked to see their security camera data from the till area.  Be careful in <removed> is what I advise or go to The Beer Garden in Soi 7, it's much more fun and with Honest Staff.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've removed the name of the bar in question due to the forum "Name and Shame" rule.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

No reason to disbelieve the OP, you may of course PM him for details.

That is an old scam. Do what I do. Hand them a 1000 b note and say.  Here is a Thousand baht note. Not a five hundred. Girls always nod and say yes. It can't come to avoiding all the places that try this on. It's all in prevention.

Whenever paying with a 1,000, I make eye contact with the server as I give her the bill, and say, in Thai, "1,000 baht note".  I won't let go of the bill and let it pass to her hand until she 1) makes eye contact with me and 2) repeats the words "1,000 baht note."  In 15 years coming to Thailand, six of them living here, I have NEVER had a problem with the wrong change being given.  I suggest you practice my method (and it goes without saying, if you haven't learned to speak Thai yet, do it).

1 hour ago, Saastrajaa said:

Whenever paying with a 1,000, I make eye contact with the server as I give her the bill, and say, in Thai, "1,000 baht note".  I won't let go of the bill and let it pass to her hand until she 1) makes eye contact with me and 2) repeats the words "1,000 baht note."  In 15 years coming to Thailand, six of them living here, I have NEVER had a problem with the wrong change being given.  I suggest you practice my method (and it goes without saying, if you haven't learned to speak Thai yet, do it).

14 years and its only ever happened to him ONCE .

Rather then going through your routine above, everytime I spend a 1000 Baht, I would rather lose 500 Baht every 14 years

You were very lucky. I've been here for over 10 years and I get ripped off almost every day. I now don't even notice it and consider it just an unavoidable fact of life. Gotta be some of the most dishonest people in the world living here.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

14 years and its only ever happened to him ONCE .

Rather then going through your routine above, everytime I spend a 1000 Baht, I would rather lose 500 Baht every 14 years

"My routine" takes a few seconds, and it's something that Thais do when they pay with large bills as well.  So, do what you want.

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I don't doubt it has happened. What I would question is why it has taken you 14 years to join Thai Visa forum?

Haha...better things to do with my time!

Just kidding.  Like many people here who dare speak their minds from time to time and challenge the strict overlords, I've been banned several times under various other usernames.  I first joined in 2005, I think.  But anyway, why does this concern you so much?

Edited by Saastrajaa

1 hour ago, Thainess said:

You were very lucky. I've been here for over 10 years and I get ripped off almost every day. I now don't even notice it and consider it just an unavoidable fact of life. Gotta be some of the most dishonest people in the world living here.

This must be an exaggeration, how do you manage to get turned over so often?. Which places? Which part of the country?

48 minutes ago, Saastrajaa said:

Haha...better things to do with my time!

Just kidding.  Like many people here who dare speak their minds from time to time and challenge the strict overlords, I've been banned several times under various other usernames.  I first joined in 2005, I think.  But anyway, why does this concern you so much?

No concern and now you have explained it I fully understand. You know there are some cranks here who seem to get a thrill watching other posters give some genuine advice. Some no disrespect at all. I also get sent to the naughty corner here for having an opinion so I understand. This place isn't what it use to be.

21 hours ago, Saastrajaa said:

Really?  Every time you do this?  If they don't make eye contact and repeat the words then what?  Sounds stupid and like a huge waste of time to me.  

22 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I wasn't being a smart As* just clarifying your point.

22 hours ago, roo860 said:

I was being respectful.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

22 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Have a nice day and Great New Year to You. I genuinely am not causing a problem.

22 hours ago, roo860 said:

And you mate, no offense taken!!
emoji106.png

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Ladies Ladies............come on now.. please stop getting your knickers in a twist :cheesy:

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Really?  Every time you do this?  If they don't make eye contact and repeat the words then what?  Sounds stupid and like a huge waste of time to me.  

They always do.  

Thai customers do the same thing whenever they're paying with large bills in an establishment of questionable repute (and the BAR ON SOI 5 WHICH SHALL NOT BE NAMED in the OP certainly qualifies).  In fact, I've found many [honest] Thai wait staff and cashiers will take it upon themselves to hold up the bill and say, "I'm receiving a 1,000 baht bill" before I can even get the words out.  And it takes SECONDS.  If you don't have seconds to "waste" out of your life to ensure you don't end up in a money dispute you will most certainly lose, well, then good for you.  

Let me school you on something, because it sounds like you're sorely in need of some knowledge.  Not all Thais are scam artists, far from it.  However, when you're frequenting a bar which allows open illegal activity (freelance sexworkers are welcome in the bar in question, to find customers for the night), you have to assume that a certain amount of scammers will seek to ply their trade there, including some employees.  Scammers, like all predators, look for the weak.  If they sense there's any possibility you might be on to them (as in, by you doing a simple thing like calling attention to the large denomination you're giving them), they won't dare try to pull anything on you; they'll look for weaker, unaware, easier prey.  If you want to keep on being weak, be my guest.

Edited by Saastrajaa

No place anywhere is ever what it used to be, and likely never was.

Holding up bills and declaring the denomination as if I assume everyone is trying to cheat me seems a little harsh to me.

"Cheat me once, shame on you. Cheat me twice, shame on me."

Anyone can cheat me once.

19 hours ago, Thainess said:

How do you manage that?  I'd love to hear a couple of genuine examples.

54 minutes ago, Saastrajaa said:

They always do.  

Thai customers do the same thing whenever they're paying with large bills in an establishment of questionable repute (and the BAR ON SOI 5 WHICH SHALL NOT BE NAMED in the OP certainly qualifies).  In fact, I've found many [honest] Thai wait staff and cashiers will take it upon themselves to hold up the bill and say, "I'm receiving a 1,000 baht bill" before I can even get the words out.  And it takes SECONDS.  If you don't have seconds to "waste" out of your life to ensure you don't end up in a money dispute you will most certainly lose, well, then good for you.  

Let me school you on something, because it sounds like you're sorely in need of some knowledge.  Not all Thais are scam artists, far from it.  However, when you're frequenting a bar which allows open illegal activity (freelance sexworkers are welcome in the bar in question, to find customers for the night), you have to assume that a certain amount of scammers will seek to ply their trade there, including some employees.  Scammers, like all predators, look for the weak.  If they sense there's any possibility you might be on to them (as in, by you doing a simple thing like calling attention to the large denomination you're giving them), they won't dare try to pull anything on you; they'll look for weaker, unaware, easier prey.  If you want to keep on being weak, be my guest.

If you want to avoid the problems that you foresee happening to you, maybe you should choose where you drink more carefully.  In Soi 5 I'd suggest that you won't go far wrong with the excellent Gulliver's.

3 hours ago, Saastrajaa said:

They always do.  

Maybe you have the look of someone they can scam.

But, if you are so worried about it use some commons sense and go to the bank and change out your money to 500 and 100 b denominations.  Avoids you wasting your time and breathe.....

Edited by bkk6060