Buying Apple in Thailand - Warning

ChiangMaiThai

3 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

It's much more than a phone, don't you know? 

When I think about all the very-many things my smart phone can do, and enable me to accomplish, B36K seems very cheap. In fact, my life would be much less efficient without it, and I'd make a lot less money.

I was only vaguely aware that smart phones are more than just phones, so thank you for setting me straight. I'm delighted that you're making lots of money with your iPhone. But the fact is that the price point for  smart phones starts below 10K, not 36K, and there is nothing you can do on an iPhone that cannot be done on a phone costing a quarter of that price.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the iPhone 5 for 3 years. Cost me ฿24K new. I sold it after 3 solid years use for ฿8K. Pretty good value if you ask me. I now have a 6S which I will probably use for 3 years and sell for 1/3 of the purchase price. Try that with an Android brand.

I always purchase Apple products online from Apple/th.

On 29/12/2016 at 11:34 AM, retarius said:

I have changed from Apple in 2016. I am tired of their labour practices in China where you would think the richest company that ever existed might be able to pay a living wage and offer decent conditions but no! Also their deplorable tax avoidance schemes (deemed illegal in the EU)…you would think that out if all that profit they might contribute a little back to the societies that allow them to sell their stuff….but no, the greedy so and sos have zero morals.

No more iPhones, iPods, MacBooks for me. No more Apple full stop.

So your non-Apple phone was made by a company with full accountable labour practices at a nice factory paying their workers a premium wage?

Samsung maybe?

https://www.thenation.com/article/exploding-phones-are-just-one-of-samsungs-safety-liabilities/

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2016 at 0:23 AM, Seligne2 said:

I was only vaguely aware that smart phones are more than just phones, so thank you for setting me straight. I'm delighted that you're making lots of money with your iPhone. But the fact is that the price point for  smart phones starts below 10K, not 36K, and there is nothing you can do on an iPhone that cannot be done on a phone costing a quarter of that price.

If you're only "vaguely aware that smart phone are more than just phones" how do you know "there is nothing you can do an an iPhone that cannot be done on a phone costing a quarter the price."??? 

BTW, your last statement is incorrect. Don't talk so definitively about a subject about which you yourself admit you are "vaguely aware."

3 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

If you're only "vaguely aware that smart phone are more than just phones" how do you know "there is nothing you can do an an iPhone that cannot be done on a phone costing a quarter the price."??? 

BTW, your last statement is incorrect. Don't talk so definitively about a subject about which you yourself admit you are "vaguely aware."

Why don't you look up the meaning of "sarcasm" on your iPhone.

I had the iPhone 5 for 3 years. Cost me ฿24K new. I sold it after 3 solid years use for ฿8K. Pretty good value if you ask me. I now have a 6S which I will probably use for 3 years and sell for 1/3 of the purchase price. Try that with an Android brand.

I always purchase Apple products online from Apple/th.

Bought Lenovo K5 Note for 7990b in September. Very fast and very nice phone. I am sure in 3 years time I could sell it for 1/3 of the purchase price...2500b.

So, you lose 16,000 baht and I lose 5,500b. And if I drop my phone in the toilet or lose it, I am still ahead of you 8000 baht.

Bought Lenovo K5 Note for 7990b in September. Very fast and very nice phone. I am sure in 3 years time I could sell it for 1/3 of the purchase price...2500b.

So, you lose 16,000 baht and I lose 5,500b. And if I drop my phone in the toilet or lose it, I am still ahead of you 8000 baht.

I bet you will only be able to get 2 years decent use due to Android OS system/updates. Even after 3 years the iPhone 5 worked well with the latest IOS at that time.

Try selling a 'laggy' android phone after 2-3 years.

I will await your post in September 2019 when you sell the device for B2500.

• 2 weeks later...

It's own by  Banana it even if you have problems with other products they don't honor the agreements even on the receipts it shows zero days returns on it and just come out with excuses and tell you to send it direct to the manufacture i think its double stranded policy they run with foreigners they were in the news a while ago about a person who had gotten a new iphone 6 plus and would not turn on and the shop would not doing anything about it this was in Koh samui ... i just stay well clear of this company because they are bang out of order .. 

On 28/12/2016 at 3:42 PM, recom273 said:

I don't think this applies exclusively to Apple.

Big brands should be aware by now that No one is accountable in Thailand and their brand reputation will suffer .. They don't care.

I have a similar problem with a Korean tech, the little Thai distributor tells me I will need to wait 3 months for a replacement as he is too busy to send it to Korea now. ??

I was in McDonalds the other day, I waited 15-20 minutes to get served for breakfast. I wasn't fussed but there was a whole restaurant full of Malaysians who were taking video of the un-manned counter.

No accountability and the brands don't care.

Just to balance a bit the consumer service rant, here is my story about the Samsung Note 7 (yes, the one that spontaneously combusts). I had it bought in Singapore. When requested to return it, I contacted Samsung Thailand and was told they would send someone to my home (!) and pick up the Note7 and give me a Note 5 in exchange until the Note7 was repaired. And the guy actually came and gave me a Note5 in exchange.

As they could not repair the Note7, Samsung contacted me again and asked for my bank account to return the full price and come again to puck up the Note 5 courtesy phone. And again that's what they did.

Amazing!

Now I wait for the Note 8 but meanwhile my wife got the Apple iPhone 7 plus, from the web-store.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive just had to return an item to my local istudio in Pattaya Central festival, the item (which was less than 1000 baht) fell apart within 5 days. Despite claiming that there was a one year guarantee there was nothing they were willing to do, no refund no exchange just a telephone number that I would have to call. I reminded the manager that I had spent over 140,000 baht in that store in the past year and that if they weren't going to help I would never come back. His response was a stupid giggle. So I left. I'll go back to dealing directly with Apple in future.

Archived