Dried Chick Peas/ Garbanzo Beans

al007

These Pantip threads from 2-3 years ago, suggested:
Villa market, Phahurat (Thailand's Little India), Tops in Central Lat Prao (0.5Kg/60Baht), Foodland (1Kg bag for 90 Baht) and Kalapae.

http://pantip.com/topic/32125013

http://pantip.com/topic/30545706
This seller may do it in bulk: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.495067367273787.1073741840.369174123196446&type=3
It's often called ถั่วลูกไก่ in Thai so a Google search for ถั่วลูกไก่ กรุงเทพฯซื้อที่ไหน brings up hits.

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Define "bulk"???

Thank you '

I require say 5 kilos, at present I get from TOPs in 250 gram packets rather expensive, yesterday found at Macro in I kilo bags at realistic price, had looked there before but did not have in Khonkaen, maybe in our store selection less than Bangkok

5 hours ago, katana said:

These Pantip threads from 2-3 years ago, suggested:
Villa market, Phahurat (Thailand's Little India), Tops in Central Lat Prao (0.5Kg/60Baht), Foodland (1Kg bag for 90 Baht) and Kalapae.

http://pantip.com/topic/32125013

http://pantip.com/topic/30545706
This seller may do it in bulk: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.495067367273787.1073741840.369174123196446&type=3
It's often called ถั่วลูกไก่ in Thai so a Google search for ถั่วลูกไก่ กรุงเทพฯซื้อที่ไหน brings up hits.

Appreciated, we are in Bangkok Jan 8 to 15 and will investigate further

I am eating a lot of health foods these days, and humous is easy to make and I enjoy it greatly, we can also get sesame seeds easily at Macro

I like to keep it as a snack with dried toast in the fridge

So far I on my changed lifestyle I have dropped 15 kilos and need to go down another 15 before I have big surgery

2 minutes ago, al007 said:

Appreciated, we are in Bangkok Jan 8 to 15 and will investigate further

I am eating a lot of health foods these days, and humous is easy to make and I enjoy it greatly, we can also get sesame seeds easily at Macro

I like to keep it as a snack with dried toast in the fridge

So far I on my changed lifestyle I have dropped 15 kilos and need to go down another 15 before I have big surgery

do you have a recipe for making tahina from sesame seeds?

6 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

do you have a recipe for making tahina from sesame seeds?

Easy easy, put seeds dry into wok, and add heat keep stirring until slightly brown

Put into liquidiser,  or small food processor, and using pulse motion process until nutty flour comes

Add olive oil

I only made this for the first time a month ago

internet also wonderful for recipes

thanks for that...I saw some sesame seeds in makro and wondered about making tahina....looks easy, gotta try it...

now, if only I could find some chick peas/garbanzos...after 13 years in ME I'm a hummous addict and the withdrawal has been painful since I used up my last can that I brought home from saudi 3 months ago...

35 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

thanks for that...I saw some sesame seeds in makro and wondered about making tahina....looks easy, gotta try it...

now, if only I could find some chick peas/garbanzos...after 13 years in ME I'm a hummous addict and the withdrawal has been painful since I used up my last can that I brought home from saudi 3 months ago...

Chick peas in macro, but being Thailand they hide them not among the pulses but else where

Also available but much more expensive at tops

trust this helps to feed that addiction

Happy New Year

I make hummus all the time at home using an electric food processor and a mixture of canned beans -- 1 can of chickpeas and one can of white beans. Both are available usually for about 55 baht per 400g can under the Fiamma Vesuviana brand -- available at Foodlands, Tesco and elsewhere.

The advantage of using canned beans is you don't have to take the time and trouble of cooking and preparing the dried ones, although they certainly are somewhat less expensive. But for about 110 baht, the two-can preparation is enough to last me for a week or more at home.

One caution: One of the reason I use the mixed/half-half variety of beans for my hummus is I remember reading that eating too much volume of chick peas can raise in your blood level some chemical that contributes to, IIRC, gout. Also, adding the portion of white beans tends to give the blended dip a creamier consistency.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I make hummus all the time at home using an electric food processor and a mixture of canned beans -- 1 can of chickpeas and one can of white beans. Both are available usually for about 55 baht per 400g can under the Fiamma Vesuviana brand -- available at Foodlands, Tesco and elsewhere.

The advantage of using canned beans is you don't have to take the time and trouble of cooking and preparing the dried ones, although they certainly are somewhat less expensive. But for about 110 baht, the two-can preparation is enough to last me for a week or more at home.

One caution: One of the reason I use the mixed/half-half variety of beans for my hummus is I remember reading that eating too much volume of chick peas can raise in your blood level some chemical that contributes to, IIRC, gout. Also, adding the portion of white beans tends to give the blended dip a creamier consistency.

I make tahani at the same time and mix this with the chick peas once mulched, but I will add some white beans next time

I like the dried chick peas, and use the remains of the liquid when liquidising the chick peas, and maybe get a better flavor at the end

In any case I greatly enjoy my hummus 

There's all kinds of different recipies and versions out there for hummus.

Back in the States, Trader Joe's markets had hummus varieties that included the flavors of red pepper, cilantro and jalapeno, garlic, eggplant, etc etc.  They all taste good to me, not to mention baba ghanoush, which is kind of the eggplant-based version of hummus.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There's all kinds of different recipies and versions out there for hummus.

Back in the States, Trader Joe's markets had hummus varieties that included the flavors of red pepper, cilantro and jalapeno, garlic, eggplant, etc etc.  They all taste good to me, not to mention baba ghanoush, which is kind of the eggplant-based version of hummus.

yeah...baba ganoush is another favorite and there's plenty of eggplant around in Thailand...gonna havta try it with my new found tahina capability...

but I really gotsta get the arabic bread recipe on the go...hummous and baba are OK with toast but sublime with flatbread...

9 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

yeah...baba ganoush is another favorite and there's plenty of eggplant around in Thailand...gonna havta try it with my new found tahina capability...

but I really gotsta get the arabic bread recipe on the go...hummous and baba are OK with toast but sublime with flatbread...

Well this has turned into a nice informative topic, maybe you could share a flatbread recipe !

3 hours ago, al007 said:

Well this has turned into a nice informative topic, maybe you could share a flatbread recipe !

I found this one which looks to be the simplest:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/jul/13/how-to-cook-the-perfect-pitta-bread

and if you can get hold of a copy of Claudia Roden's 'A book of middle eastern food' (Penguin) there is a good recipe in there for khubz/arabic bread...the Roden book is one of the all around best for middle eastern food...

but (edit) I haven't tried either recipe yet...ye gotta dedicate yer morning or afternoon to making bread with the mixing, rising, etc and I get distracted easily...I tried a few years ago with another recipe and failed miserably...

Twarrior.

From your previous posts. In regards to you bringing cans of refried beans here. 

Man. Don't ever do that again. As long as you can find dried pinto or black beans 

Make your own. If you want some tips pm me. 

7 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Twarrior.

From your previous posts. In regards to you bringing cans of refried beans here. 

Man. Don't ever do that again. As long as you can find dried pinto or black beans 

Maybe you might share with us all, I am sure it would be appreciated

3 hours ago, NickJ said:

Twarrior.

nick...while I appreciate your assistance ain't no reason fer you not to put it up on here fer everyone to share...let's have it; spill the beans (yuk, yuk, yuk)...

plenty of black beans around here but never seen no pintos...and where d'ye get lard? plenty of pork around but never seen no lard...

ain't never goin' back to that saudi shithole again, bad fer one's mental health...so there won't be no more cans of frijoles...please render valuable info on this forum regarding the associated local preparation and be assured of a nomination to 2017 POTY...

I use both. Pinto and black.but avoid the black beans from Japan.

It's pretty easy. You just soak the dry beans in water overnight in the fridge.  Rinse them real good. Fill a large pot with the beans. Have the water about 4 inchs over the top of the beans.

Simmer them. Add whatever you would like. A couple quartered onions. Garlic cloves. The important seasoning are cumin and salt and pepper. As they simmer you can also add a bit of sugar.

I use about two teaspoons of cumin and play around with the others.  It takes about three and a half hours to get them soft. So if you simmer for that long you need to add more water and spices. Towards the end the liquid starts to thicken. I also throw in some of those dried red chillies you see everywhere hear.they rehydrate.  

When the beans are soft and taste right.

Here is where the cheat comes in. Dish them into a blender with half the water. And blend them. Adding water till you get them how you like. I also add some hot sauce at this point.like Tapateo or whatever I have. Sometimes I add some black olives and fresh onion as well.

You can pan fry them in bacon if you like. But I don't. After a little bit of experimenting. You will never go back to canned frioles ever. Anyone who tries these say they taste awesome.

I make Mexican rice in the rice cooker as well. 

Then some easy as he'll to make queso fresco. Or basic paneer like Mexican cheese.

For the humus. Use a can of garbanzos and some sesame oil. And blend them in the blender. Add spices. Comes out just like at a restaurant.takes less than five min.

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

plenty of black beans around here but never seen no pintos..

At least in Bangkok, 16 oz bags of dried pinto beans from a U.S. supplier are a regular stock item at both Villa Markets and Foodlands, at least those around the Sukhumvit area. For whatever reasons, that's one western stock thing that's almost never been out of stock here in my experience.

And like Nick, I too make my own homemade frijoles using those dry pinto beans as the staple, and also cook them in my regular rice cooker. Don't use any lard at all, much healthier that way. But lots of diced onion, cumin, black pepper, some red chili pepper powder once the simmering is done, but before blending.

Sometimes, if I want a smooth mixture, I put the final mix into an electronic food processor. But other times, I'll just use a mashed potato masher to "mush" the beans in the rice cooker pot for a more coarse preparation.

Dry black beans, and dry red beans and even dry kidney beans, are easy to find here, and are usually available via Thai brands at Makro, Tesco, Villa, Foodland and elsewhere. The pintos are the one bean variety I've never seen here as a local (vs. imported) product.

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

At least in Bangkok, 16 oz bags of dried pinto beans from a U.S. supplier are a regular stock item at both Villa Markets and Foodlands, at least those around the Sukhumvit area. For whatever reasons, that's one western stock thing that's almost never been out of stock here in my experience.

And like Nick, I too make my own homemade frijoles using those dry pinto beans as the staple, and also cook them in my regular rice cooker. Don't use any lard at all, much healthier that way. But lots of diced onion, cumin, black pepper, some red chili pepper powder once the simmering is done, but before blending.

Sometimes, if I want a smooth mixture, I put the final mix into an electronic food processor. But other times, I'll just use a mashed potato masher to "mush" the beans in the rice cooker pot for a more coarse preparation.

Dry black beans, and dry red beans and even dry kidney beans, are easy to find here, and are usually available via Thai brands at Makro, Tesco, Villa, Foodland and elsewhere. The pintos are the one bean variety I've never seen here as a local (vs. imported) product.

thanks, tallguy...I work on the availability of ingredients in nakhon nowhere which ain't much when talkin' about western food...I can get red kidneys, and black beans from makro and the big tescos at changwat suphan...makro has also got black eyed peas...recently I discoved a market stall in our little town that has 500g packets of red and black beans...

the traditional frijoles refritos recipe calls for lard but I've never made them before...maybe you could post a detailed recipe for what you got? they taste the same? I use a pressure cooker pot (thick walled and thick bottom, good heat distribution) with a flat lid stove top on the cooker fer all the beans and I gots a potato masher...always use good water as the tap water has too much chlorine and the beans won't cook...

in the ME you can get canned refried beans in most western supermarkets and they're good to eat with arabic bread which is sorta like a 'floury tortilla'...useta have 'em fer supper when I was too beat to cook or go to the canteen when inna camp...nice stuff, even when not reheated...

7 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

the traditional frijoles refritos recipe calls for lard but I've never made them before...maybe you could post a detailed recipe for what you got? they taste the same? I use a pressure cooker pot (thick walled and thick bottom, good heat distribution) with a flat lid fer all the beans and I gots a potato masher...always use good water as the tap water has too much chlorine and the beans won't cook...

Pressure cooker should work fine.

I don't have an exact recipe, but generally follow the same directions that Nick posted above in #19. Except, from the advice I've read, it's best to leave most seasonings until after the simmering is done, especially waiting on any salt, as that can interfere with the cooking process.

Even if I could find lard here, I wouldn't use it in my homemade frijoles for health reasons. And when I've occasionally bought canned frijoles here in the past, I'd generally choose the no-lard Rosarita veggie variety. But the imported canned frijoles from the U.S. have gotten pretty pricey, with Rosarita running I wanna say around 100 baht per can. In contrast, the 16 oz bags of dry pinto beans cost about 45-50 baht at the markets, and probably make 3-4 cans worth per bag.

If I lived somewhere where I couldn't find or source pinto beans, I'd probably use black beans as a fallback option.

yeah...I eliminated the salt during cooking a long time ago but the beans still wouldn't cook...and then I subsituted good water and voila...

I gotsta get me a good blender...I've burned out the motors of a half dozen cheap ones already makin' hummous using canned garbanzos...even after mashing before with some water added...about that time I started bringin' back cans of prepared hummous from the ME...it's impossible to find garbanzos where I live anyway...also useta bring a kilo of lemons to squeeze into the canned hummous...and 4 - 5 packages of arabic bread, of course...and 4 - 5 cans of frijoles, the suitcase weighed a ton and I always worried at the airport check in even though in business class we got 40kgs allowance...garlic (thai garlic is fer shit), date mamoul cakes fer the kids, etc...

(I got stopped and searched once by thai customs outside of the arrivals hall at the airport...you shoulda seen the look on their faces...surprise and then disgust, I was lovin' it)

when that ran out after a coupla weeks it was time to back to work anyway...

29 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I get the Mcgarret brand of pintos.At Makro. When I find the white beans even now and again I buy them up and make a huge batch in my smoker oven low and slow. This is a picture of the beast.

DSC_0116.JPG

whoooh...that sorta looks like the tardis outta the brit Dr Who series...capable of transport to another time and galaxy...

You can make a fairly decent "hummus"from Burmese Thai Yai Chick pea flour. After all the chick peas themselves are not the main source of flavour.  I use extra virgin olive oil Garlic, salt, and Chick Pea flour - can make & eat straight away, but you are better to let it sit overnight in the fridge.

http://www.macheesmo.com/creamy-hummus/

We make chick pea bread too - high protein, low carb bread. We use chopped onion and garlic, Chick Pea flour, water and a little salt. Pan fried it is superb "Nan" style bread, you can use for salad wraps, etc, etc.. Flour is everywhere that there is a small concentration of Burmese people. Readily available in Chiang Mai & Lamphun.

sounds interesting...do you have a photo of the label on the package that you can post so that we can identify it? there are a lot of burmese around these days, even in rural suphanburi...

and I disagree re: the hummous flavor; when too much tahina is added it masks the flavor of the chick peas that I like the best...you can judge by tasting the variety of canned prepared hummous which in the ME is extensive...too much tahina and it tastes like sesame seeds and the garbanzos get lost...but, folks have their preferences...

I'm in bed - will photograph tomorrow. Two types we buy, fresh, dried then ground. Cooked, dried then ground. Both types make acceptable Hummus - plus the link I posted shows a few recipes. 

Best you google the "For & Against" the -fresh, dried then ground. Cooked, dried then ground - Chick Peas. Farting is one thing that comes to mind :-)

12 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I gotsta get me a good blender...I've burned out the motors of a half dozen cheap ones already makin' hummous using canned garbanzos...even after mashing before with some water added..

For some reason, real electric food processors here seem pretty rare and, when found, really expensive. I've seen a Phillips model for around 3000b from time to time, and the Verasu chain has one or two imported varieties.

In my years here, I've used two different U.S. purchased 110v, 10-cup models plugged into 110/220v power converters (obviously with enough voltage capacity) without any problems. The first one I brought with me from the U.S., was probably 5+ years old when I brought it, and lasted another 5 or so years here. And the second one I bought via Amazon, had shipped over, and it's been working fine ever sense.

Both handled two cans of garbanzos with very little liquid added without any problem. My original model was a Black & Decker, and my current one is a Hamilton Beach.

Archived