Khom Loy Lanterns

peterc

Anyone able to put me in touch with a manufacturer of Khom Loy lanterns?

I think most are made very small scale, as in seasonally in the villages and/or in the back of the shops that sell them.. That said, I would go to one of these shops that sell them year-round and ask about wholesale quantities and prices.

1. Next to the Westin (Sheraton) hotel: cross the bridge towards the Lamphun road and Westin (Sheraton) hotel, then on the left there will be a small shop called 'Mengrai" selling Khao Lam sweet rice in bamboo as well as the hot air balloons.

2. When going from the Hand Dong road under the Airport Plaze flyover into town, there is a shop on the left hand side, say half way to the traffic lights of the Hai Ya area.

Cheers,

Chanchao

That said, I would go to one of these shops that sell them year-round and ask about wholesale quantities and prices.

1. Next to the Westin (Sheraton) hotel: cross the bridge towards the Lamphun road and Westin (Sheraton) hotel, then on the left there will be a small shop called 'Mengrai" selling Khao Lam sweet rice in bamboo as well as the hot air balloons.

2. When going from the Hand Dong road under the Airport Plaze flyover into town, there is a shop on the left hand side, say half way to the traffic lights of the Hai Ya area.

Cheers,

Chanchao

You can also try Warorot Market.

Look for the little temp places along the road that sell various things like kites, auto covers/steering wheels, etc...Often these komes will be strung around....

I bought a few (5/100 baht) at one of the little stands lining the road a few clicks south ot Chiang Dao, selling coconuts, prawn chips, coconut plants, etc

A great place to also get Maprow Aun Paw (Young Roasted Coconut) served ice cold for 10 baht. Lovely on a hot day. :o

• 1 year later...

Did you have any luck finding a manufacturer or wholesaler? I was hoping to get some shipped to me in Europe :o for an event we are having in June 06?

Would you be allowed to let them off in Europe

or US? I kind of doubt it somehow. :o

As long as it is not within 15 miles of a 'controlled' airport, I don't think it would be a problem.

I have this plan to send a dozen or so to my brother who lives in the cornfields of midwestern America, have him send them up over Hicksville some weekend evening then videotape for me the TV news coverage of UFO's over da crop circles!

Have any of you seen the old and frequently presented videos of the lights over Phoenix long ago that still stir folk's imaginations of little green guys and girls? If those are not our very own Thai lanterns, I don't know what is..

Hey, maybe if we exported enough of these things, we could start a whole new UFO rage in many of the "civilized" countries of the world, eh? :D

Have any of you seen the old and frequently presented videos of the lights over Phoenix long ago that still stir folk's imaginations of little green guys and girls? If those are not our very own Thai lanterns, I don't know what is..
It's quite okay if you don't know what is :D

A couple of programs showed that they were flares from an air force base in the area... :o

It's quite okay if you don't know what is :o

Rats. I was secretly hoping for the little green folks.

This certainly wouldn't be the first time that I didn't know what is/was... :D

or US? I kind of doubt it somehow. :o

As long as it is not within 15 miles of a 'controlled' airport, I don't think it would be a problem.

I have this plan to send a dozen or so to my brother who lives in the cornfields of midwestern America, have him send them up over Hicksville some weekend evening then videotape for me the TV news coverage of UFO's over da crop circles!

Hey, maybe if we exported enough of these things, we could start a whole new UFO rage in many of the "civilized" countries of the world, eh? :D

I have not been able to figure out what the "fuel element" is made of. Does anyone know? It has a strong smell of fuel oil or something similar. I left a couple inside my car overnight and it took a few days to get rid of the odor.

If you tried exporting I am sure it would have to be declared as a hazardous material, if it could be shipped at all. (No expertise in this matter).

or US? I kind of doubt it somehow. :D

I spent 2 weeks in the hospital here a year ago and was treated to a nice evening show with dozens of those lanterns from the 7 th floor. A few mountain slopes all round Chonburi were on fire because of those, it was dry season. Dry corn stalks would work even better! :o

I have not been able to figure out what the "fuel element" is made of. Does anyone know? It has a strong smell of fuel oil or something similar. I left a couple inside my car overnight and it took a few days to get rid of the odor.

If you tried exporting I am sure it would have to be declared as a hazardous material, if it could be shipped at all. (No expertise in this matter).

Parafin is the main fuel source. Sometimes it's a roll of toilet paper soaked in the stuff...

Why not simply make them yourself? Simply tissue paper with a small frame to hold the fuel.

Parifin is probably shipped as a class 3 flammable materal.Some shipping lines might charge a surcharge for haz cargo...It can still be shipped with out too much drama.

Why not simply make them yourself? Simply tissue paper with a small frame to hold the fuel.

Indeed. I would hope that most of us are bright enuf not to ship flammable materials in a cardboard box. My brother has a full shop in his garage and can likely manufacture a reasonable facsimile. Plus they are under about two feet of snow right now and I don't think that burns as well as dry cornfields.

When traveling in India for a couple of years and finding that Indian matches are basically non-functional, I had someone send me some of those long/strong American kitchen matches. Bad move. Indian customs was upset that I had hazardous materials sent to me and by the time I paid the appropriate bribes I had possibly the most expensive matches in the entire world... :o

Parafin is the main fuel source. Sometimes it's a roll of toilet paper soaked in the stuff...

[/quot

You can soak the roll of paper in kerosene. I found, due to my inexperience/ imcompetence that the tricky part was getting it airborn without the ballon burning up. :o I solved this problem by utizing a fan to keep the sides away from the burning center till the heat created was sufficent for flight. I used a propane torch to light the center mass as the fan tends to blow out a lighter or match. Don't let kerosene get on the ballon, attach not dripping kerosene roll while fan keeps paper sides of ballon away from attach point.

The ballons I had don't come with all you need for flight. I had to use thin strips of balsa wood to create a cicular ring at ballons bottom, a thin wire stretched across in a X pattern to attach the roll to. Of course the roll itself must have wire holding it together as well as to attached to your center point. And I used masking tape to hold ring to ballon.

This is not a solo job on your first effort, safety first please

• 6 years later...

or US? I kind of doubt it somehow. blink.gif

Hey, maybe if we exported enough of these things, we could start a whole new UFO rage in many of the "civilized" countries of the world, eh? cool.gif

Great idea it would be a blast to watch.

Problem being Americans are so afraid of living they probably would have a dozen laws against it.

Hey, maybe if we exported enough of these things, we could start a whole new UFO rage in many of the "civilized" countries of the world, eh? cool.gif

Problem being Americans are so afraid of living they probably would have a dozen laws against it.

You replied to a 6 year old post by a member who has since passed away.

..and if he doesn't, then the chorus will be "use the Search!". :)

Here is someone who actually searched. (It would also be trivial for the board software to not allow replying to posts over X years old. If the forum admins don't have an issue with it then why should we..)

• Like 1

Well, I can understand the confusion here,...

I also, almost, replied to the thread here.

Somehow the posts title showed up 5th in line of the Chiang Mai Forum.

So you get somehow the idea it's a recent post.

When browsing the fora, you look at the highlighted title's and your eye does not always catch the date.

(It's actually not the first time this happens to me)

Especially when the OP is no longer with us,.... it is very awkward indeed. But how to know?

Maybe the webmaster(s) could built in a feature of some kind to avoid these 2 issues?