Free ferry service from Hua Hin to Pattaya available in January

webfact

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I read 27 knots the other day in ThaiVisa news-feed, Googling shows other news-stories saying 27 knots, i.e. around 50km/hour, which shall give a block-time (pier-to-pier, including acceleration, deceleration, etc.) around 2½ hour for a 113 km distance. However some of the fastest catamarans has cruise-speeds up about 38 knots (from memory), i.e. some 70 km/hour, which may fit into 1 hour 40 minutes. The fastest catamaran-ferries I think are the Danish build 120-car ferry, and Australian build 220-car ferry for "Mols-Linien" that both have a speed of 45 knots or 84 km/hour, however their new Australian build ferries taking 400+ cars sails only with 40 knots, and with a max. load cruise speed of modest 36 knots or 67 km/hour.
:smile:

TurboJet catamaran Hong Kong - Macau takes 55 minutes, and the travel distance is 62 km. Catamaran max speed 45 knots = 80 kmh

Ticket cost 160 HKD = 750 THB.  

Isn't there lots of fishing going on in the bay near Hua Hin? What happens to catamaran flying into fishing net at 80 kmh?

So looking at Hua Hin trip at 1200 baht, it is exactly the same price as Macau Hong Kong per km. But Pattaya is not Hong Kong, and  Hua Hin is not Macau, even tho I've been told Hua Hin is super elite, upscale destination, but since I stay in Pattaya I doubt they even let me in

Edited by whitemouse

8 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Not too much discussion of lack of vehicle accomodation. Just foot passengers by all accounts.

Whatever the ferry is like, the pier in Pattaya can't handle vehicles.

If it goes as fast as they say though, they may as well strap some wings on and call it a seaplane.

1 hour ago, DefaultName said:

If it goes as fast as they say though, they may as well strap some wings on and call it a seaplane.

It's called a "WIG" (Wing In Ground-effect) and would be the dogs for this trip.

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the gulf on some days can be very windy with come choppy seas.

so factor that in to the top speed.

I live in Hua Hin. I wonder how many more bar fights and stabbings we are going to have?

Now that the "I look like I just got out of prison" people are going to be arriving from Pattaya.

just imagine all the prisoners recently released on the Amnesty granted by the new King, they will be flocking for "free" ferries!

13 hours ago, Beachdude said:

So it leaves HH in the morning and Patts in the afternoon. . And does that mean if you leave from Pattaya the return is the next morning? 

what would you think?  TAT is just introducing another scam which makes you need an extra night out!

19 hours ago, BernieOnTour said:

more details here...

http://www.thethailandlife.com/pattaya-to-hua-hin-ferry-service

However:

So, 27 knots * 1.852 = 50 km/h

with 113 km distance that's ~ 2h 15 min for one trip

Seems, the Thai naval engineers have access to a new technology, a time machine, allowing them to reduce the trip to 1h30

Edit: sorry , just saw Aguy30 already calculated that

Maybe they will just let you off a few clicks up the coast from Hua Hin and tell you its Pattaya.

On 28/12/2016 at 4:39 AM, Crossy said:

Argghh my maths head must be broken.

1 hour 40 is 100 minutes (60+40). Trip is 113km.

113km in 100 minutes is 1.13km per minute, x 60 = 67.8 kph.

But that's still an average speed. Factor in the slow speed passage through the business at both ends and we're still looking at a ferry capable of 80++ kph.

I dont think you should get too hung up on the speed variables, but be more concerned with the time variables.

Is it western minutes or thai minutes?

Today is the 30th December and they haven't taken possession of the vessel yet.  How can they give free rides on the 1st January, are the going to skip the trials, safety checks and crew training.  They won't get insurance until all the checks and balances are in place.

Edited by Thechook

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Today is the 30th December and they haven't taken possession of the vessel yet.  How can they give free rides on the 1st January, are the going to skip the trials, safety checks and crew training.  They won't get insurance until all the checks and balances are in place.

More info and pictures here......

On 12/28/2016 at 5:01 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

Many modern catamaran ferries can typically sail at an excess of 40 knobs= 74.1xx km/h. 

This one is a 48 knob one, so pretty fast for a ship:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSC_Condor_Rapide

Condor ran/runs ferries from Weymouth to the Channel Islands and from Poole to Channel Islands and to Cherbourg, have been on them many times, they display the running speed in the passenger area and the fastest I remember 45 knots, usually it was 35-38. They had big problems running our of Poole Harbour due to the depth and picking up sand in the impellers, often arriving back late and having to do overnight maintenance ready for the next morning trip, in Weymouth that was arriving around midnight with 0530 departure the next morning.

The other problem with CATS is that with a sea swell over over 2.5M they dont sail ( in UK waters anyway) not that they cant handle that but if there is an emergency getting people off was problematic.

Great days on these CATS typically it was under 30 gbp for the return from Weymouth to Jersey or St Malo, or Poole to Cherbourg ( Brittany Ferries contract one of Condors CATs for the summer season).

13 minutes ago, nong38 said:

Condor ran/runs ferries from Weymouth to the Channel Islands and from Poole to Channel Islands and to Cherbourg, have been on them many times, they display the running speed in the passenger area and the fastest I remember 45 knots, usually it was 35-38. They had big problems running our of Poole Harbour due to the depth and picking up sand in the impellers, often arriving back late and having to do overnight maintenance ready for the next morning trip, in Weymouth that was arriving around midnight with 0530 departure the next morning.

The other problem with CATS is that with a sea swell over over 2.5M they dont sail ( in UK waters anyway) not that they cant handle that but if there is an emergency getting people off was problematic.

Great days on these CATS typically it was under 30 gbp for the return from Weymouth to Jersey or St Malo, or Poole to Cherbourg ( Brittany Ferries contract one of Condors CATs for the summer season).

I can remember going on that two or three times and only once I felt seasick when the seas were rough.

There is also a great and very comfortable service between Macau and Hong Kong with a turbojet catamaran

To+Macau-TurboJET+-+Mar+2013.jpg

44 minutes ago, bellhui1b said:

So as usual you have ALL missed the point HOW MUCH 2400 return each plus car ? you go with wife/girlfriend 4800 children ? so for a family it could cost 10000 before food beer and fags that is an expensive day out :sad::shock1::shock1::shock1::mfr_closed1:

Whats the car for ?

Today I tried to book a 'free' place. The answer was 'no booking only line up we then look who can get a place.

So maybe this free service is only a FAKE-offer. I suppose that there are no free seats available for normal people. Its only to catch the attraction. 

I will not use this service. For me the company is treating the potential customers not serious.

Thank you!

On 30.12.2016 at 8:15 AM, Thechook said:

Today I tried to book a seat. Not possible.

Maybe the service will never start.