Where are the Europeans Holidaying?

Patong2

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, geisha said:

As said above, raw sewage being pumped into the sea, dangerous driving, van and bus fatalities daily, rip off aggressive taxis , speedboat and long tail boat accidents , not many tourists take a 12 hour flight to experience all this. Honestly, which other tourist friendly country makes the negative world headlines as often as Thailand ??

8 minutes ago, gamini said:

You are probably referring to Pattaya, Phuket or Samui. The rtest of Thailand does not have these problems.

Quite right, no van or bus fatalities elsewhere in Thailand!

And places like Hua Hin, where you live, never has negative world headlines.

(Apart from when grannies get their heads kicked in!)

Two ladies I've known for many years from Perth go many time to Bali for their holidays. One time a couple years ago they tried Thailand and booked a trip Phuket-Bankok- Pattaya. They told me when they go to Bali they are constantly befriended by Balinese. They'll be in a restaurant and Balinese people invite them to join them and offered to take them here and there and show them things. In other words act like hosts. In Thailand, they said, the only contact they had with Thai people was when they were paying money. 

And upon returning to Perth one of the ladies was immediately hospitalized with Hepatitis A. Seems one of the smiling Thai people left some fecal matter in her food.

So they continue holidaying in Bali.

My Thai wife often asks me where do all the 'Farangs' go now, .? Because she can see the resort-towns have a fraction of the European tourists they had say 5 yrs ago.

My answer to her is quite likely Vietmam, Cambodia, Bali, & Malaysia (As Asian destinations)...ANYWHERE but here due to rip-offs, constant poor exchange rates (even worse when you include the Thai's ATM & T/C fees), plus all the bad publicity Thailand's getting thru'out the world due to tourist attacks  + murders, human trafficking, slaves on fishing boats, military-rule, near zero protection from the Thai police, etc...

..."Teelak..tourists tell their stories when they get back home..& nowadays there may be to many bad ones"

Moving along slightly I did see a business report claiming Spain was about to have it's 4th record year for tourism in a row this year.

(With food & drink prices cheaper than Thailand, & only a short flight for many Europeans)

1 minute ago, Usual Suspect said:

My Thai wife often asks me where do all the 'Farangs' go now, .? Because she can see the resort-towns have a fraction of the European tourists they had say 5 yrs ago.

My answer to her is quite likely Vietmam, Cambodia, Bali, & Malaysia (As Asian destinations)...ANYWHERE but here due to rip-offs, constant poor exchange rates (even worse when you include the Thai's ATM & T/C fees), plus all the bad publicity Thailand's getting thru'out the world due to tourist attacks  + murders, human trafficking, slaves on fishing boats, military-rule, near zero protection from the Thai police, etc...

..."Teelak..tourists tell their stories when they get back home..& nowadays there may be to many bad ones"

Moving along slightly I did see a business report claiming Spain was about to have it's 4th record year for tourism in a row this year.

(With food & drink prices cheaper than Thailand, & only a short flight for many Europeans)

Some places in Africa apparently, especially for German women seeking sexual companionship from younger men. Then of course there's what we used to call Eastern Europe

Way overboard.. majority of tourists wouldn't have a clue about the items you listed except for the exchange rate
Only hard-core mongers read TV regularly and they could care less about fisherman.
I'm in Pattaya and up until a few days ago you were lucky to be able to stand on a baht bus it was so packed with tourists!

5 minutes ago, Usual Suspect said:

Not sure if you saw the tourist figures that I posted in post 20, showing 2016 tourist number from europe/usa 10% up on 2015 numbers. The only numbers I have seen that show a decline in western tourists is from Australasia, 2016 figures are a little down on 2015 (1-2%)

I would be interested to see some actual numbers that show less Europeans are coming here.

53 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

What is the problem with the weather in Phuket ?

It's been hissing down for almost 24 hours and it's cold(er).  These past 2 months have not really been all sun and hot .... but my Thai wife explains ... it's winter time in Thailand.

28 minutes ago, TSF said:

Two ladies I've known for many years from Perth go many time to Bali for their holidays. One time a couple years ago they tried Thailand and booked a trip Phuket-Bankok- Pattaya. They told me when they go to Bali they are constantly befriended by Balinese. They'll be in a restaurant and Balinese people invite them to join them and offered to take them here and there and show them things. In other words act like hosts. In Thailand, they said, the only contact they had with Thai people was when they were paying money. 

And upon returning to Perth one of the ladies was immediately hospitalized with Hepatitis A. Seems one of the smiling Thai people left some fecal matter in her food.

So they continue holidaying in Bali.

I know some people who always go to Phuket. They tried Bali once, but prefer Phuket exactly because of the reasons you mention.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Latest figures (2016) would indicate europeans are still coming to Thailand, and a 10% increase on 2015

จำนวนนักท่องเที่ยว มกราคม ถึง พฤศจิกายน 2559P

Country of Number %Change
Nationality 2016P 2015 2016/15
East  Asia 19,874,551 18,047,423 +10.12
ASEAN 7,781,185 7,073,817 +10.00
Brunei 11,791 11,503 +2.50
Cambodia 622,357 484,082 +28.56
Indonesia 484,954 427,210 +13.52
Laos 1,285,583 1,096,049 +17.29
Malaysia 3,140,853 3,029,179 +3.69
Myanmar 308,370 228,275 +35.09
Philippines 309,170 285,284 +8.37
Singapore 846,646 815,738 +3.79
Vietnam 771,461 696,497 +10.76
China 8,221,916 7,298,937 +12.65
Hong Kong 686,738 613,106 +12.01
Japan 1,310,719 1,256,539 +4.31
Korea 1,322,657 1,223,730 +8.08
Taiwan 484,739 514,082 -5.71
Others 66,597 67,212 -0.92
Europe 5,392,524 4,909,466 +9.84
Austria 87,227 85,636 +1.86
Belgium 98,373 94,228 +4.40
Denmark 148,338 141,104 +5.13
Finland 108,560 108,807 -0.23
France 661,785 612,043 +8.13
Germany 742,813 672,888 +10.39
Italy 230,124 212,914 +8.08
Netherlands 212,824 197,556 +7.73
Norway 114,594 116,293 -1.46
Russia 928,173 755,955 +22.78
Spain 156,605 140,108 +11.77
Sweden 269,055 254,025 +5.92
Switzerland 181,638 178,810 +1.58
United  Kingdom 890,404 835,879 +6.52
East  Europe 350,113 316,402 +10.65
Others 211,898 186,818 +13.42
The  Americas 1,236,694 1,090,941 +13.36
Argentina 39,768 24,999 +59.08
Brazil 53,852 42,130 +27.82
Canada 216,768 202,005 +7.31
USA 859,838 765,544 +12.32
Others 66,468 56,263 +18.14
South  Asia 1,374,714 1,270,515 +8.20
Bangladesh 89,675 95,968 -6.56
India 1,080,126 969,396 +11.42
Nepal 38,491 29,700 +29.60
Pakistan 67,669 72,268 -6.36
Sri  Lanka 61,671 67,885 -9.15
Others 37,082 35,298 +5.05
Oceania 820,426 838,250 -2.13
Australia 717,268 733,699 -2.24
New  Zealand 100,495 101,696 -1.18
Others 2,663 2,855 -6.73
Middle  East 684,703 603,142 +13.52
Egypt 26,058 23,021 +13.19
Israel 145,186 126,743 +14.55
Kuwait 57,569 63,261 -9.00
Saudi  Arabia 23,153 17,912 +29.26
U.A.E. 117,176 113,228 +3.49
Others 315,561 258,977 +21.85
Africa 146,891 139,157 +5.56
S.Africa 63,249 61,712 +2.49
Others 83,642 77,445 +8.00
Grand  Total 29,530,503 26,898,894 +9.78

I don't believe these numbers for one second, and I don't care where they came from.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

What is the problem with the weather in Phuket ?

Looking out the window now in Patong and heavy rain continuing.

If we had come here for a tropical Xmas holiday I think we may have had 1 sunny day in 10 this Xmas.

The Carribean offers much better weather albeit the odd hurricane.

I can tell you where Europeans are holidaying, In my condo block in jomtein, lol

At the moment its full to capacity, lots of European couples and families.

The car park is full, 5 mins for the lift to come, que for the local restaurants, 3 deep at the counter in 7/11. You can sell a deckchair at the pool to the highest bidder, lol

I know a lot of people have a perception that european tourist numbers are down, based on the local sexpat bar is half empty. My observations are the opposite.

24 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Not sure if you saw the tourist figures that I posted in post 20, showing 2016 tourist number from europe/usa 10% up on 2015 numbers. The only numbers I have seen that show a decline in western tourists is from Australasia, 2016 figures are a little down on 2015 (1-2%)

I would be interested to see some actual numbers that show less Europeans are coming here.

All I know is that I used to book rooms in advance as you needed to.  Now I just take my pick when I get there, rarely having to resort to my second pick. Hotel owners surely didn't make those number you showed. I think when a plane touches down in Bangkok, they are all counted as tourists here when they are just passing through.

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 9:41 AM, NamKangMan said:

Australians have returned to Bali in big numbers.

Vietnam has seen a 26% increase in tourism in the last 12 months. 

http://vietnamtourism.gov.vn/english/index.php/items/11311

Also, Spain and Greece are popular again with Europeans. 

Crimea is popular with the Russians again.  

If you took the Chinese tourist statistics out, Phuket's tourism numbers would dismal.

Thailand should look at themselves. Stop killing and beating up tourists. Stop taking tourists over patong hill. Stop their 2 tier pricing system. The exchange rate is too low considering they have a dictatorship and not an elected gov: etc etc etc

33 minutes ago, zorro1 said:

Way overboard.. majority of tourists wouldn't have a clue about the items you listed except for the exchange rate
Only hard-core mongers read TV regularly and they could care less about fisherman.

You seem to be saying that TV is the only source of news about Thailand and as most people do not read TV, they would be unaware of anything that happened in Thailand .

Nearly everyone has internet access these days and the stories are all over websites .

Many of the negative stories about Thailand have been reported by foreign media in foreign countries

Heres all stories about Thailand from one UK newspaper , the rest of the World is quite aware of the situation in Thailand

https://www.theguardian.com/world/thailand

1 hour ago, geisha said:

As said above, raw sewage being pumped into the sea, dangerous driving, van and bus fatalities daily, rip off aggressive taxis , speedboat and long tail boat accidents , not many tourists take a 12 hour flight to experience all this. Honestly, which other tourist friendly country makes the negative world headlines as often as Thailand ??

Yes the raw sewage point bothers me. Each time I flush my toilet I hold my breath till everything vanishes. I wish it bon voyage tally ho and all that rot. 

You seem to be saying that TV is the only source of news about Thailand and as most people do not read TV, they would be unaware of anything that happened in Thailand .
    Nearly everyone has internet access these days and the stories are all over websites .
  Many of the negative stories about Thailand have been reported by foreign media in foreign countries
   Heres all stories about Thailand from one UK newspaper , the rest of the World is quite aware of the situation in Thailand
https://www.theguardian.com/world/thailand

Russians and Chinese are not concerned about sex trafficking or fisherman.
Your suggesting that people are staying away for humanitarian issues and I've yet to meet anyone who has said I'm not going to thailand anymore because of issues with some minority group.

Exchange rate and money rules always will. This is the number one reason

1 hour ago, Usual Suspect said:

Many posters have mentioned Spain and that is BS!  The topic is " this time of year". In December, January and February Europeans are not flocking to Spain. Even near Cadiz in the far south of Spain temperatures are averaging 16 daytime and 6 at night!!  Most people are thinking yearly statistics not winter statistics.  

My European friends all go to the USA , Caribbean and Mexico ( especially the British). In Asia Vietnam and Bali are Tops.  Thailand is for transit or one or two nights max.  Those claiming pattaya and Jomtiem are so packed don't remember the Dec 10 to Jan 10 month is by far the busiest and in the past was much more busy.  I'm going to Phuket next week. I never could go in Jan before because of full hotels and flights.  It was so easy to book very cheap hotels and flights this time.  The weather will also be great all next week.  I think the states and Caribbean have much better beaches but this is where I am now. 

2 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Many posters have mentioned Spain and that is BS!  The topic is " this time of year". In December, January and February Europeans are not flocking to Spain. Even near Cadiz in the far south of Spain temperatures are averaging 16 daytime and 6 at night!!  Most people are thinking yearly statistics not winter statistics.  

My European friends all go to the USA , Caribbean and Mexico ( especially the British). In Asia Vietnam and Bali are Tops.  Thailand is for transit or one or two nights max.  Those claiming pattaya and Jomtiem are so packed don't remember the Dec 10 to Jan 10 month is by far the busiest and in the past was much more busy.  I'm going to Phuket next week. I never could go in Jan before because of full hotels and flights.  It was so easy to book very cheap hotels and flights this time.  The weather will also be great all next week.  I think the states and Caribbean have much better beaches but this is where I am now. 

What brings u to phuket then?

Just now, zorro1 said:

Russians and Chinese are not concerned about sex trafficking or fisherman.
Your suggesting that people are staying away for humanitarian issues and I've yet to meet anyone who has said I'm not going to thailand anymore because of issues with some minority group.

Exchange rate and money rules always will. This is the number one reason

Its not just the trafficking or fisherman .

During the Chinese tourism boom over the last few years m they have been numerous negative stories about Chinese tourists which were also reported back in China , Chinese people got the impression that Thailand was hostile towards them , which ,may have been a reason why many Chinese decided not to come to Thailand

China has the internet as well and they have discussion forums and many were upset about how Chinese people are portrayed in Thailand .

The overland route access being closed , the confiscation of Chinese owned businesses and clampdowns on tours and the constant negative press about Chinese tourists probably made many of them decide not to bother going to Thailand

During the Chinese tourism boom over the last few years m they have been numerous negative stories about Chinese tourists which were also reported back in China , Chinese people got the impression that Thailand was hostile towards them , which ,may have been a reason why many Chinese decided not to come to Thailand
    China has the internet as well and they have discussion forums and many were upset about how Chinese people are portrayed in Thailand .
  The overland route access being closed , the confiscation of Chinese owned businesses and clampdowns on tours and the constant negative press about Chinese tourists probably made many of them decide not to bother going to Thailand

Thank God for that! They only need a 25% increase of tourists from any other country that are not zero dollar tourists and the Chinese become irrelevant.
If the baht dropped 50% then the masses would flood into Thailand.

It's always always always about THE MONEY!

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Nice now the other tourists still visiting Thailand and its buffet restaurants can have some shrimps also.

11 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

What brings u to phuket then?

Based in BKK all winter and would like to go to Vietnam again but have USA passport and my only option to Vietnam is an expensive one year visa.  I'm hoping this changes soon. I already spent 10 days in Bali.  So I do usually make one trip a year to Phuket in March but will go twice this year.  

3 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Nice now the other tourists still visiting Thailand and its buffet restaurants can have some shrimps also.

Of all the videos I have watched  on TVF. I will never forget that video of the Chinese attaching the shrimp one!! 

On 12/29/2016 at 2:12 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Compare currency rates since end of 2014 with today.

Danish crown is the only one that comes out without substantial loss.

Brexit GBP crash in June 2016, a time to plan winter holiday.

USD was 32-33/THB in 2014; 35-36/THB now. However, Americans are not the big tourists here; they have better weather and more choices staying home or enjoying central America and the Caribbean. Let's face it, Thailand is simply not as attractive as it once was. Social media has better spread the news--the stories of tourist murders, unequal treatment under the law, political upheaval, entertainment restrictions, the death of the King, local ambivalence to tourists, lower exchange rates, cost increases, and dwindling vacation deals have taken their toll. When you combine those tourist realities with the added encumbrances to legal long-term stay visas, second-class citizen treatment for everything from traffic fines to home/business ownership, two-tier pricing, cost of living increases, quality of living decreases, and continual cuckolding of the farang; fewer expats are coming to stay and more are leaving for greener pastures.  

15 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

Flights from Europe are quite cheap now, a friend has booked a return from Newcastle to Bangkok with Emirates in February for £359.

Agree they have very competive prices for Thailand and besides that very nice new planes with outstanding customer service

Archived