Where are the Europeans Holidaying?

Patong2

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Many posters have mentioned Spain and that is BS!  The topic is " this time of year". In December, January and February Europeans are not flocking to Spain. Even near Cadiz in the far south of Spain temperatures are averaging 16 daytime and 6 at night!!  Most people are thinking yearly statistics not winter statistics.  

My European friends all go to the USA , Caribbean and Mexico ( especially the British). In Asia Vietnam and Bali are Tops.  Thailand is for transit or one or two nights max.  Those claiming pattaya and Jomtiem are so packed don't remember the Dec 10 to Jan 10 month is by far the busiest and in the past was much more busy.  I'm going to Phuket next week. I never could go in Jan before because of full hotels and flights.  It was so easy to book very cheap hotels and flights this time.  The weather will also be great all next week.  I think the states and Caribbean have much better beaches but this is where I am now. 

All inclusive beach resorts from the US to Mexico are almost cheaper than staying home. 7 days flight, hotel, all drinks and food right on the beach under $1,000 US no problem. No ladies of the night though, so bring your own.

Depends what travel deals the travel agents are promoting, Phuket was heavily promoted in Australia up to about 6 years ago now there is a bigger choice of holiday packages which are better value at other Asian destinations, The lousy exchange rates here does not help as well for a lot of currencies

14 minutes ago, Grubster said:

All inclusive beach resorts from the US to Mexico are almost cheaper than staying home. 7 days flight, hotel, all drinks and food right on the beach under $1,000 US no problem. No ladies of the night though, so bring your own.

The Poms would call it Benidorm...

I used to go to and love Phuket (Karon) for many years going in December January. I've not been for about six years even though now living in thailand for two years. I'm driving down that way at the end of the month meeting a friend for a couple of nights in Krabi and want to explore the area as I'm driving and am curious to include  Phuket (where I met my wife of now 13 years) whose accompanying me. I'm hoping for the best and fearing for the worse . Interested to receive advice and opinions for a keen swimmer,snorkeller,diver . Not so much into bars but enjoy exploring of an evening. What about Ko Lanta too? Any tips on reasonable accommodation there (1500+baht per night bearing in mind I've transport.

7 hours ago, zorro1 said:

Way overboard.. majority of tourists wouldn't have a clue about the items you listed except for the exchange rate
Only hard-core mongers read TV regularly and they could care less about fisherman.
I'm in Pattaya and up until a few days ago you were lucky to be able to stand on a baht bus it was so packed with tourists!

I just left Pattaya yesterday after 6 weeks....3 full months early....I found it was a ghost town...the only time it was busy was New years eve.....and it was mostly Thais flooding in from what I assume was Bangkok.....This was the main reason I left...my usual European friends were nowhere to be seen.

I thought there were a few more Russians...a lot more Arabs/Indians...whom most of the Thai  woman want nothing to do with.

I think the reason your find bhat buses were packed...was due to the fact the tourists are down and a great number of bhat buses are trying to rent themselves out as taxis at nite....just go to beach/2nd/Thappraya Road and look...most are empty trying to be taxis ....the bhat buses that are full are on their regular routes. Very irritating..trying to grab a bhat bus home at nite.

Nothing like a bhat bus tout sitting in the back of his bhat bus screaming taxi taxi...at the few paying tourists left.

9 hours ago, geisha said:

As said above, raw sewage being pumped into the sea, dangerous driving, van and bus fatalities daily, rip off aggressive taxis , speedboat and long tail boat accidents , not many tourists take a 12 hour flight to experience all this. Honestly, which other tourist friendly country makes the negative world headlines as often as Thailand ??

If we could see the news of each country we  would discover that everywhere happens

53 minutes ago, MaxiMaxi said:

If we could see the news of each country we  would discover that everywhere happens

Yes, such things happen everywhere but not to the same extent as they happen in LOS. The statistics of tourists/foreigners/expats dying in Thailand must surely be mind boggling. It should be mandatory for every foreign embassy in Thailand to publish their lists at the end of each year so the world can see how many of their nationals were murdered, had accidental deaths, ended up in hospitals (either from assaults or traffic/boating accidents), plus their nationals who reported theft/robberies.

47 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Last January it was very busy around the area where I stay.

It's like a ghost town these days.

I was last in Pattaya 2 weeks ago and noticed a big decrease in the usual numbers for a high season, most noticeable missing were the Chinese, nowhere near the huge presence they had 12 months ago. 

Here in Kata/Karon I see a very big increase in westeners  these past 2 weeks and a very big decrease in Chinese. Even driving over to Patong I see few Chinese m/bike drivers and many many western couples (some with kids) on bikes. I expect a big drop off in tourists very soon.

2 hours ago, ammagic said:

Well, Hua Hin is very quiet...a ghost town before Xmas & still quiet now. A bad start to "high season"

Hey dude. Come out now it's the most lively I have ever seen in town.  Even young people!!  I'm there right now.  

Yes, such things happen everywhere but not to the same extent as they happen in LOS. The statistics of tourists/foreigners/expats dying in Thailand must surely be mind boggling. It should be mandatory for every foreign embassy in Thailand to publish their lists at the end of each year so the world can see how many of their nationals were murdered, had accidental deaths, ended up in hospitals (either from assaults or traffic/boating accidents), plus their nationals who reported theft/robberies.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

12 hours ago, TSF said:

Yes tn such thingsishappen everywhere but nort to the same extent as th asy happen in LOS. The statistics of tourists/foreigners/expats dying in Thailand must surely be mind boggling. It should be mandatory for every foreign embassy in Thailand to publish their lists at the end of each year so the world can see how many of their nationals were murdered, had accidental deaths, ended up in hospitals (either from assaults or traffic/boating accidents), plus their nationals who reported theft/robberies.

Yes sure I agree! But same story with Brazil, Caraibians, Mexico or others, where violence Is at higher levels. My countries 24news Is reporting a lot murdered In that part of the world rather ythan here....

But a statistic would be welcome

Embassies or FAM have It for sure

1 minute ago, almodeller said:

A UK newspaper wrote about 10 holiday hot spots for 2017 Thailand was not in them but at number 10 was surprise surprise Hull

Yeah.....it's now been designated the 2017 UK city of culture.............................................bwahahahaha!

Archived