Thai Girl To Visit Me In Uk

sorry if this is a repeat but here goes:

A girlfriend in thailand wants to come visit me in th UK, she's currently in Australia visitng her sister who married an aussie fella so her passport is ok. Whats the process for applying etc for her to come to the UK for a period of time?

I'll be putting her up etc

Sorry but I've no experience of this

ermm Im not sure why u say emails etc is needed? I understand the OP's GF is only to visit ? (ie tourist visa?)

if thats the case why would they need to prove their relationship history?

anyway, when I applied...my friend had to send in her passport page/ID and a letter stating that she would put me up, including the duration, maybe stating also where she worked. that was enough...copy of her ID, and a letter from her. ofcourse your GF will still need to provide other documents..such as her own financial status/account book, emplyoment letter

Agree.

As long as the OP can provide a letter stating that he will be "responsible for all costs during her visit and repatriation back to Thailand if required" and can show evidence of funds to cover the duration of the visit then that is all he needs to do.

However, if she can show that she has a job to come back to and has a letter from her employer stating she has been granted leave to visit the UK then that would help her get a tourist visa that much easier.

Be creative (think about this word and how to be so), use your nogging and think it through and you should be fine.

Edited by Casanundra

ermm Im not sure why u say emails etc is needed? I understand the OP's GF is only to visit ? (ie tourist visa?)

if thats the case why would they need to prove their relationship history?

anyway, when I applied...my friend had to send in her passport page/ID and a letter stating that she would put me up, including the duration, maybe stating also where she worked. that was enough...copy of her ID, and a letter from her. ofcourse your GF will still need to provide other documents..such as her own financial status/account book, emplyoment letter

i,m just telling my experience it seems everyones is different, i just know they were strict.

The reality is that if the OP's girlfriend is going to present herself as such in the visa application, the relationship is relevant and the visa officer will expect to see evidence of it in the form of e-mails, letters, photos, etc.

The OP should additionally write a covering letter which briefly outlines their relationship, his circumstances in the UK, the purpose of the visit, and what their future intentions are. There is no harm in stating that he will be responsible for any repatriation costs, but there is no point as such a statement is totally unenforceable in law. In reality, it's the inbound carrier, where identifiable, who is hit with the bill and, otherwise, the taxpayer.

I would suggest that as the OP's girlfriend will have already visited Australia, and therefore have established a positive immigration history, the process of getting a UK visit visa should be less painful. She should, however, still demonstrate as far as possible that she has an incentive to return to Thailand at the end of her stay. This can be done through various means, e.g. money in the bank, land ownership, and/or a job to go back to.

Scouse.

If you spend a bit of time reading through old posts on this forum you will find loads of relative information. GU22 puts in great replies with links to relative web pages (I found the checklist one most helpful).

You will be surprised at the amount of paperwork required for a visit visa so be prepared for a bit of work.

Best of luck

Thanks everyone, great replies and very helpful :o

I'm worknig on a letter to whoever stating my job, employment history, wage etc and that i'd like her to visit for a holiday (what length of stay is ok to ask for?, she's been in Aus for 5 months and goes back to thailand on Dec 23)

I am a little worried she may not like the UK (i know im not overly keen and i was born here!) and wouldnt want her to have to stay for months if it wasnt to her liking, but the same time i'd love her to come over, see the country and hopefully find her some snow (its on her list of things to see bless her)

I am buying my own house, earn a good wage and been in my job for 10 years since leaving school so i like to think that is all on our side, and her recent trip to Aus will show she wants to go back to Thailand

Thanks again everyone and no doubt I'll be back with more questions sometime soon

glenbat

As you say you'll be putting her up so to speak, does that mean you'll be paying for her trip or just providing her with a place to stay?

There are a lot of other points that need to be covered when applying to come to the uk, If she is paying for her trip she will need to provide the embassy with proof of her abillity to do so, i.e bank statements and proof that she has an income, if she has!!! If not you will need to supply proof that you can afford to cover all her expenses by providing your banks statements and paychecks for the last six months.

She will also need to prove that she will return to thailand after her visit and thats not just the case of having a return ticket! does she own land/property etc???

She's been in oz so i'm sure she knows the score, just read carefully through this forum and you'll find all the info you need.

Mark

cheers Mark

I was going to pay for her ticket, and put her up and feed her etc so she would not need any of her own money (in my eyes anyway). Would the Thai visa issuers accept that I'm kind of sponsoring her? She doesnt have land or property in Thai unfortunately, and only see's her family once a year so we was hoping her return from Aus may be proof she's not looking to escape so to speak?

They will want to know who's paying for it basically, and that whoever is, can afford it. she will need to put on the application form who this is going to be whether its you or her, they dont really care, whoever she writes on that form will need to provide there proof of abillity to do so with bank statements and paychecks.

You should also show proof that she has somewhere to stay, so that will be at your house i take it, so you will need to show them there is room for her and that it is ok for her to stay, i.e if you live in rented accomodation a letter from your landlord stating they are happy for this to go ahead, a copy of your mortgage agreement if you own it or a letter from your parents(if your still at home! I am!!) stating this is ok.

The big problem you will face is proving she will return(leave UK) after her trip, owning property is a good one, she's been in oz so i take it she wont have a job? A letter from an employer stating she has a job to return to is always a good thing to have aswell, if she's not got these then its going to be difficult!

Try and provide as much detail about your relationship as possible, if she's not got a solid reason to return then you need to make your relationship look as strong as you can, supply emails, plenty of proof of contact, your phone bills, letters etc,

I could go on for hours mate, me and my gf are yet to be sucsessful, with her vv and are applying again next week so I wish you the best of luck!

Mark

glenbat, not a katoey I hope?? :D

haha brit!! :D:D lol nope i checked when i was out there, but i understand your concern :o

Nope she's 100% female and a little darling.. One more question, I've printed off all our emails and on every one she calls me fat pig, will this effect our application? (bere in mind I'm 5'7 and althletic with a 28" waist.. fat pig I bloody ask you!)

glenbat, not a katoey I hope?? :D

haha brit!! :D:D lol nope i checked when i was out there, but i understand your concern :o

Nope she's 100% female and a little darling.. One more question, I've printed off all our emails and on every one she calls me fat pig, will this effect our application? (bere in mind I'm 5'7 and althletic with a 28" waist.. fat pig I bloody ask you!)

I doubt the content will matter much, maybe raise a smile, which can only help. You dont actually say whether she is a girlfriend or a friend who's a girl, the visit you describe is a bit of a "suck it and see" visit.

You should decide whether she is coming over to see snow and have fun or if it is to try out your relationship. Whatever it is, stick to and tell the truth to the embassy. As has been said the weakest point is how she convinces them that she will return, you know she will but can she convince them.

Besides all the great advice you've had so far and the rest you'll find around this forum you could check the official line on applications and sponsors at the British embassy website

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1065721608380

Good Luck to you

I guess she's a girlfriend, but as we're thousands of miles apart I do keep an open mind to it at present. For applications, she's my girlfriend and is coming for a holiday, would this be the best approach? Or to say she's coming over to see if can make a go of our relationship? I was thinking that saying its a holiday would be better, less chance of her falling hopelessly in lub :D with me (it is possible britmaveric!)? Its a few weeks off yet but obviously we'd like as much ammo as we can get and put something forward thats pretty respectable

Kup khoon krup tilacs :o

Unfortunately the embassy see so many applications a pretty respectable one wont do, its got to be pretty perfect in fact. Your girl will probably struggle when it comes to proving her reason to return so your gonna have to make the application look better in other areas if you can, for example in my opinion, there is much more chance of you getting it, if you are in a strong loving relationship and proving it, as opposed to saying she's just coming for a holiday!

In the embassy's eye's if your relationships 'proper' then there is less chance your gonna ###### up and overstay the visa, because you wont want any problems in the future when you apply again.

If she's just some girl you met thats persuaded you to let her come for a holiday then there's a good chance she might just never go home and dissapear into the british system!!!

catch my drift? this is just how they look at things, its their job!

Mark

I guess she's a girlfriend, but as we're thousands of miles apart I do keep an open mind to it at present. For applications, she's my girlfriend and is coming for a holiday, would this be the best approach? Or to say she's coming over to see if can make a go of our relationship? I was thinking that saying its a holiday would be better, less chance of her falling hopelessly in lub :D with me (it is possible britmaveric!)? Its a few weeks off yet but obviously we'd like as much ammo as we can get and put something forward thats pretty respectable

So she's your girlfriend, she's got no job in Thailand but in another forum you are asking for tips about travelling around Thailand ALONE !!! You could suggest house swopping !!!!

So she's your girlfriend, she's got no job in Thailand but in another forum you are asking for tips about travelling around Thailand ALONE !!! You could suggest house swopping !!!!

Yes correct, well she's a long distance girlfriend and does work in Thailand and has done for 4 years. I am very keen to travel the country alone to see different places, but at the same time would love for her to come to the UK at some point. I dont intend staying here forever, hence my questions on travelling thailand so why not ask her over while I am in a position to do so?

Troll or trolling describes people who really have nothing better to do than ask questions on internet forums simply to prevoke a response,piss people off and generally cause disruption, also a form of attention seeking by asking random questions that they do not really need the answer to!

Happens a fair bit and some folk's are very quick to jump to conclusions,

hence my sarcastic reply!

Mark

Edited by markreed

whats a troll?
See Troll (Internet).

With regard to your original question, you may find the following helpful:-

DSPs Chapter 10 - Visit entry requirements

Guidance for Visitors Visa Applications

Guidance - Sponsors

Social visit checklist

and for how to apply: UK Visa Application Centre.

As already said, she will need to demonstrate to the Entry Clearance Officer's satisfaction that she will return to Thailand, or at least leave the UK, when or before her visa expires. This is possible, even if she does not have a concrete reason such as a job as long as she comes across as credible, genuine and trustworthy. The fact that she has already had an Aussie visit visa and (presumably) stuck to the conditions of that visa will go a long way toward this.

Don't try to fit her application into a pigeon hole you think will get her a visa. That more often than not leads to a refusal as applicants get confused and start contradicting themselves. Simply tell the truth.

Troll or trolling describes people who really have nothing better to do than ask questions on internet forums simply to prevoke a response,piss people off and generally cause disruption, also a form of attention seeking by asking random questions that they do not really need the answer to!

Happens a fair bit and some folk's are very quick to jump to conclusions,

hence my sarcastic reply!

Mark

Cheers Mark, they sounded quite cute at first, was going to ask to adopt one or maybe buy one a buffalo but now i know, I'll steer well clear. Gotta love the trolls who read every post you've ever posted tho :o

Glenbat,

There are SO many threads on this forum recently that cover this subject you may find it beneficial to have a look over the past couple of weeks as the answers to your questions lie there for you to see.

Seems to me the best bit in her favour if the fact that she got a Aussie visa (not easy by any means) and has not broken any of its conditions. That will give her great credability. Apart from that you have very little so you have to use your relationship as the main reason to return. Money and accomodation you can presumably cover one way or another.

Reading your posts i come to the conclusion that one of the weakest bits of your future application is YOU!! You are very vague about what you want to do , is she a proper g/f or not (long distance g/f is not the best of relationships in their eyes)? You want to travel Thailand alone (hardly suggests a strong relationship considering you don't see much of each other anyway does it ?). I think you need to decide if you really want her to come to the UK and if you do then put your heart more firmly into it . You have had some good advice , Markreed seems to be learning fast, but you need to go away and read up on it a bit more . And then show it some commitment !!

haha ok will do

I'm a bit sceptical to be honest about long distance relationships, and I think deep down a lot of us are but for some reason we choose to ignore it or not think about it too mut! :D

I do wish to travel Thailand alone, or with Miss T (we will call her for now) we'll see when, hopefully, I get a decent amount of time off work to do so and how things are going we can take it from there

In the mean time, I'd love for her to come to the UK for many reasons, those being I'd love to spend more time with her as i do think about her all the time and care about her a great deal, and also to show her new things and take her places she hasnt been before

I personally dont think 3 weeks is long enough to build a strong relationship as they take TIME. How can I put more heart into her visiting me in the UK, other than doing all the research I can and asking lots of probably annoying questions? If I could walk there tomorrow and carry her back trust me I would :D:D but I already know it isnt that easy I wish it was :o

I dont think theres anything wrong in wanting her to visit me in the UK, AND hoping to one day travel the LOS, possibly on my own? Is there?

PS, I'll ask this here seeing as I've got a lot of readers tuning in, If we're lucky enough to have our application passed, IF, would Miss T's travel be limited to just the uk (such as car, train etc) or would a couple of days in Europe be allowed with me? Please dont gun me down as I have no idea

If i'm reading it correctly the trouble with the visas are convincing Thailand the lady will return when promised and not disappear into thin air, and was wondering if we're lucky enough to be allowed to spend time together, would we be able to fly together to say Sweden for a weekend?

Edited by glenbat

haha ok will do

I'm a bit sceptical to be honest about long distance relationships, and I think deep down a lot of us are but for some reason we choose to ignore it or not think about it too mut! :D

I do wish to travel Thailand alone, or with Miss T (we will call her for now) we'll see when, hopefully, I get a decent amount of time off work to do so and how things are going we can take it from there

In the mean time, I'd love for her to come to the UK for many reasons, those being I'd love to spend more time with her as i do think about her all the time and care about her a great deal, and also to show her new things and take her places she hasnt been before

I personally dont think 3 weeks is long enough to build a strong relationship as they take TIME. How can I put more heart into her visiting me in the UK, other than doing all the research I can and asking lots of probably annoying questions? If I could walk there tomorrow and carry her back trust me I would :D:D but I already know it isnt that easy I wish it was :o

I dont think theres anything wrong in wanting her to visit me in the UK, AND hoping to one day travel the LOS, possibly on my own? Is there?

PS, I'll ask this here seeing as I've got a lot of readers tuning in, If we're lucky enough to have our application passed, IF, would Miss T's travel be limited to just the uk (such as car, train etc) or would a couple of days in Europe be allowed with me? Please dont gun me down as I have no idea

If i'm reading it correctly the trouble with the visas are convincing Thailand the lady will return when promised and not disappear into thin air, and was wondering if we're lucky enough to be allowed to spend time together, would we be able to fly together to say Sweden for a weekend?

Hi Glenbat

You're right in being wary about your relationship, you are wise to be so. Again there is nothing wrong in wanting her to come and visit you in the UK, it seems a perfectly normal thing to want to do. Maybe you can impress her, maybe the country or your family impresses her but unfortunately it's not so simple as that. You have to get that Visa first.... and to get that Visa you (or actually she... as it's she who may have to attend an interview)have to have a story and stick to it otherwise the immigration officers will pull her apart and she'll be left without.

There is nothing wrong in inviting a friend to UK, you can be the sponsor but as you have realised the only thing the Embassy will want to be assured of is that 1)she has enough money to support herself for the fare and the duration of her stay (and that can come from the sponsor) and 2) she will return to Thailand.

Things such as property, family or a job will help prove she has reason to return, however if she applies as soon as she returns from Australia it will appear she doesn't have much of a job.

Hence the advice that you decide a plan and stick to it, research the forum for similar situations. Nobody here can guarantee you a successful application but everybody will try to help you achieve that but in the end it is up to you and your girlfriend.

As for your hopes of travelling Europe.... The Visitors Visa for UK will allow her to visit UK only, the good thing is that it is usually a multiple entry visa so she can enter as many times as she wishes during the validity period. However to visit any of th EU states she will need to apply for a Schengen visa. The Schengen visa will allow her to travel to the EU states( you mention Sweden) and between the schegen states freely, but if she returns to the UK she will need another Schengen visa before she can visit another. Multiple entry schengen visas are available.The advice is that she should apply for this before she leaves Thailand at the embassy of the country which will be her main destination or her first destination.

So look around the forum, decide how you want to make your application, the fact that she's been to Australia and returned will help but if she now immediately wants to go to UK it will spurn some doubts about the job she has.

Good luck to you...... and good luck if you ever get to travel Thailand either alone or with her!!

I'll probably put the Sweden weekend on hold for the time being (only wanted to see snow for the first time anyway lol - think indoor skiing will do for now), and like you say it is probably best for her to spend a little time back home before jetting off again.

I (or we) are pretty lucky her english is very good (bar the cute accent - "Ahhhhhhhhhhh fat piiiiiiig!") and she seems a clever little thing. We both want this to happen so have decided not to rush into it, best do all the prep work we can and go out to impress, rather than end up grovelling so to speak

I didnt realise the visa may be a multiple entry one, but again that would just be an added bonus for now

Personally I doubt my country will impress her, maybe my eccentric family might in the same way The Simpsons did me when I was a kid but I'd just love to show her new places and do things she'd never done before (soppy git)

Oh, and have her lovely company for 4 weeks or however long we hope to get... Chock dee for me

Edited by glenbat

I'll probably put the Sweden weekend on hold for the time being

Personally I doubt my country will impress her, maybe my eccentric family might in the same way The Simpsons did me when I was a kid but I'd just love to show her new places and do things she'd never done before (soppy git)

So go for it anyway, If Billericay, Ongar and Chadwell Heath don't quite have the same ring to it as Stockholm, Malmo and Gothenburg don't worry it could work out for you but make a plan and go for it.

Edited by Mahout Angrit