working on own home

huahinboilerman

Just now, Autonuaq said:

You do need a workpermit that not will he granted sonce it is work that is aloowed to be done by Thai Nationals in the way you describe the situation.

5 years emprisonment and or 100.000 thb. And the change your poroerty will be confescated too

Besid the changed of being blacklisted and not able to stay in Thailand

Rubbish.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, zeichen said:

I love all these technically yes, people.  Contact a Thai lawyer who actually knows immigration and labor laws. Don't listen to TV warriors who assume everything because of anecdotal evidence.

Do you need a work permit to change the tire of your car, or change the oil? NO of course not. If you are working in your own yard and on your own house, not your wife's house, then No, you do not need a work permit. 

Is that anecdotal or are you a Thai lawyer,just asking.

1 hour ago, Beats56 said:

The cop down the the road was drunk one night and fired his revolver off six times in the air. 

My neighbor chased his GF down the street shooting at her. One bullet lodged in the wall of a house across the street. No one even called the police.

12 minutes ago, akentryan said:

My neighbor chased his GF down the street shooting at her. One bullet lodged in the wall of a house across the street. No one even called the police.

Good thing he didn't kill her. Watched a thai beat the heck out of his girlfriend one night well all the neighbors just I gored it. I told him to stop it. And swore at me in thai. I was new here and the neighbors said don't bother. Well that doesn't sit well with me. No matter how mad you get you don't hit a girl.

It's kind of like the Thai no pointing of feet taboo, there is no way to avoid pointing your feet, the toes or the soles will always be pointed in some direction no matter what you do with them, so technically you are always creating a problem just by being here. Same with what is defined as work, in my layman's understanding of Thai law as translated into English, what is defined as "work" is so broad and sweeping that technically it is illegal to role over in your sleep or even breath for that matter. Out of sight, out of mind is how to avoid trouble with the authorities or those who would report you,. There is no way to be legal or safe from prosecution and thats the way they want things. Luckily it seems Thais are much better at overlooking things, so you will likely be able to carry on working on your house without it occurring to anyone that "technically" you are breaking both foot pointing taboos and Thai labor laws.

I've had hit of miss episodes. The latest will just a garden room / den attached to the house. They did a nice job... Last time a crew put in our kitchen and the wife on them, felt sorry for the workers.

She would not get want she paid for such as the doors and made a point of getting it.

On 12/29/2016 at 5:57 PM, mick220675 said:

My next door neighbour is a immigration police officer. Over the last fifteen years I personally have built a house with a wall, swimming pool and granny flat at no time has he ever said I should have a work visa. I even re-wired his house for him, you would be very unlucky to have any problems supervising your home being built.

The only trouble my neighbour has been to me was when he got very drunk and started shooting chickens with a revolver.

You should get a labor department official as your neighbor and try your luck then. Work permits are their turf, not immigrations.

2 hours ago, chickenrunCM said:

what a bullshit!!!!!!!!!!

you don´t need any permission to do anythng on your own property. how you can answer such stupid?

in your logic, nobody could cook his meal, wash his laundry, drive with a car, clean apartment, answer a call, bacause for all exist professioell workers. 

This topic was discussed 100.000 times but everytime all the brainless people show up and write stupid and wrong answers.

I think you've just predicted the future. The way things are going for farang in Thailand it's probably not too far away when we will see expats getting fined and deported for taking jobs away from Thais when they wash their own cars and clean their own apartments.

Just would do so, as Thai law is very wide in definition about work. It all depends on how immigration would see it and is shown how

you "work". Technically you cant even make your own breakfast then or go to toilet ! Even breathing would be working.

Once i asked the question to SIAM lawyer about definition, but he came up with the usual stuff and did not say anything about breathing

washing your car or whatever.

So if you are working in/for companies or even work as a volunteer. Nothing about doing things for your self.

But it included aswell for example as doing administration in a condobuilding, where you live and are an owner, for free. You need a permit !

Thai law is mostly to work against aliens (official Thai government discription for  foreigners) and as corruption is allowed, it pays to 

controlling officers.

I remember the case of older people playing a bridge drive, they were arrested for gambling ! SO all is possible in Thailand, also with "work".

Depends on the Thai, how they see it and if they possibly need money .

I met  a Canadian in CM and he didnt want to move a tv for his gf, as being afraid to loose his rv, he said.

My Husband helped with the building of our house on the bricks and water working. Plus painted it inside and out. I asked at labour dept about if he was ok doing this. Answer no problem he is not getting paid or volunteer he work on his and your home so no problem. Have immigration officer living in same village (a nice one). Him quite often round helping when we build. Him say same. 

3 hours ago, chickenrunCM said:

what a bullshit!!!!!!!!!!

you don´t need any permission to do anythng on your own property. how you can answer such stupid?

in your logic, nobody could cook his meal, wash his laundry, drive with a car, clean apartment, answer a call, bacause for all exist professioell workers. 

This topic was discussed 100.000 times but everytime all the brainless people show up and write stupid and wrong answers.

it is also fully possible to hire thais to brush your teeth and wipe your ass,

reading what people write here one would think that anybody wiping own ass might be subject to fines, prison and deportation.

unfortunate that it is so difficult to get solid information on TV, opinions are plentiful, but solid info is rather rare

this is a serious topic, relevant to heaps of foreigners in Thailand,

no pointers to where it says its legal to work on own property, no pointers to where it says it is not legal, alas

I supervised the building of my house. The bulk of the work was carried out by local Thai's but occasionally I assisted with an extra pair of hands or showing the Thai's how I wanted specific jobs carried out. I learned from the Thai's and they learnt from me.

Everyone in the village, including local police and army knew I was working on my house but I never had any problems.

16 minutes ago, smotherb said:

My excuse is I don't want to do it; it's seems too easy to find someone to do any of the mundane tasks in life.  It's called proper planning.

So sorry to have confused you, I couldn't find a joke font LOL

7 hours ago, sstuff3 said:

You DO NOT need a work permit to work on your own house.

I have lived in Bangkok for 12 years and if I want to paint the house, I paint it. If I want to build a wall, I build it, if I want to build a deck, I build it, and so on. You get the gist.

In my years of living here, I have never had any problem doing work on my own house (or my in-laws house) and have NEVER seen or heard of anyone else in trouble for this either (even on TV Forum, although there is always a lot of naysayers and speculation).

I suspect the ones on here that say you need it are the ones who use it as an excuse not to do anything that may cause them to sweat and perpetuates the locals beliefs that all farangs are lazy and don't know how to do physical labor.

Do what you want and need to do to your home and have a Happy New Year!

Can you back this up with hard facts such as a link to the Labor Office or Immigration website?

If you are working on your in laws house you ARE working illegally and you DO need a WP, just because you have not been caught yet this does not mean it is not illegal

BTW i'm not bothered in what you do but please don't give advice that could land other people in trouble

8 hours ago, Autonuaq said:

You do need a workpermit that not will he granted sonce it is work that is aloowed to be done by Thai Nationals in the way you describe the situation.

5 years emprisonment and or 100.000 thb. And the change your poroerty will be confescated too

Besid the changed of being blacklisted and not able to stay in Thailand

scare monger

59 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

so, making a sundeck at your own house is not working

making a deck on your own boat is working?

Here we go two very diffrent things as well you know but I'm sure you not let it go.

59 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Can you back this up with hard facts such as a link to the Labor Office or Immigration website?

If you are working on your in laws house you ARE working illegally and you DO need a WP, just because you have not been caught yet this does not mean it is not illegal

BTW i'm not bothered in what you do but please don't give advice that could land other people in trouble

I would take posters advise as we have done same. Al this scare people post load of rubish. People on here have fixation on WP. 

8 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Get a Usufructs a s a p if you not  have one already .

not your land not your home if you don't have one but if married you don't need one it is a 50 50  split if it turns bad , but if not married you can throw her out , not saying it will turn to s??? But just in case .

she can't throw you out with a Usufructs .

if i wait too long before I get one, can she ask me to usufruct off?

8 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Get a Usufructs a s a p if you not  have one already .

not your land not your home if you don't have one but if married you don't need one it is a 50 50  split if it turns bad , but if not married you can throw her out , not saying it will turn to s??? But just in case .

she can't throw you out with a Usufructs .

555 what has this to do with the thread total off topic response.

Archived