Pattaya - Hua Hin catamaran to be delivered to resort within two days

webfact

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently they are giving free tickets until the 15th Jan. Free is a good deal, I would not pay 5K for 2 return though. 

Gona go down there (bali hai pier), see if I can book.

Gonna check it out myself just for the Voyage as well. I can't see a single reason to pay. Hua hin is just a dumbed down version of Pattaya minus the honeys

Just saw in Thai news that today's attempt to cross the bay ended in failure due to high/rough seas with the boat only circling Koh Larn and back, the news report that conditions in the bay was very high winds and 4meters wave

Some people queue since 5AM to get the free tickets, some that booked hotels in Huahin are now pissed that they now have to find alternative way of going there

13 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Just saw in Thai news that today's attempt to cross the bay ended in failure due to high/rough seas with the boat only circling Koh Larn and back, the news report that conditions in the bay was very high winds and 4meters wave

Some people queue since 5AM to get the free tickets, some that booked hotels in Huahin are now pissed that they now have to find alternative way of going there

Was supposed to leave Hua Hin at 8.30AM and return from Pattaya at 3.30PM, which is not yet?????

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

This does not look so good canceling on the first day..lol....

So they can only take the trip on calm seas?

Edited by fforest1

Looking at the design, it's similar to a Russian-built Volga river cruiser that we chartered one summer for accommodation while working in the eastern Caspian Sea. It wasn't built for seas above 1.5 m and was pulled off survey well before the bad weather set in. Reading other posts, this catamaran was apparently built in Norway so I would assume that it was originally a fjord cruiser. Since Norway's sea coastline mostly embraces the North Sea, there's no way this was running back and forth offshore. Then it probably did some nice river cruising in China. As this is the time of year for the most unsettled offshore conditions in the Gulf of Thailand, I reckon there will be some more delays to this service officially starting and the whole enterprise scrapped within one, very short 'summer' season... if it ever gets that far.

Edited by NanLaew

5 hours ago, sharecropper said:

So if this boat encounters waves of more than 2 metres in any crossing of the Gulf it may be in trouble? What was the point of buying it when apparently these weather conditions often exist out there? - On second thoughts, don't answer that....

At least they didn't buy a submarine, those can be expensive. This Cat they can now use to take Chinese groups around Koh Larn, 1000 baht per head. 

22 hours ago, digbeth said:

it was meant to leave bali hai yesterday at 08 30, it pulled out about 09 20 went round koh larn and came back.

today i watched it slip it's moorings at exactly 08 30 and the same thing happened.

i looked out at 09 27 and it was back at it's berth in bali hai

Why so  worried?  The ferry was built in China to exacting Chinese standards. 

Life and safety standards as we all know are cutting edge in China. On top of this we will have Thai  staffing. Caution and safety are part of the local culture. One need only   look at those Safety First billboards they have at worksites to see that.

Everything will be fine.  You just wait and see. Smooth sailing ahead. All they need are some Pattaya Ladyboys to put on a show, singing In the Navy or Anchors Aweigh and this will be a  big hit.

Crazy skepticism here about this. This is a great option to have here so I hope it works, it is long overdue and I wish them success.  It takes me 5 or 6 hours to drive to Hua hin from here and traffic or construction  can make it even longer. I would never recommend anyone taking the mini van they have travelling there instead, at least on a boat you have a better chance of survival than on the thai roads.

I have taken many wonderful boat trips in Thailand. The boat to Koh Samui from the mainland is a good service much cheaper than the bangkok air controlled airport. Also the boats to the other southern islands like PP. 

It was a sad day when the boat service stopped from Koh Kong to sihanoukville as that was much more pleasant and faster than the buses. 

The last couple of days have been some of the roughest seas I have seen in the bay. Most of the time it is as flat as lake so it showed good judgment to turn around. 

36 minutes ago, zorro1 said:

I have no doubt the boat itself would easily handle 4 meter waves.
the passengers especially thais get sea sick very quickly

That's because no matter how many times you say don't eat

loads of food on the boat.

They get on board and stuff there faces.

and we all to see it again 30 minutes latter.

very funny. :sick:

Many years of fishing trips in the bay with the ladies

told me this one. :thumbsup:

And the cries of i want go back fell on my deaf ears !!!!!!!!!!!,  but would drop the real bad ones on Kolan Island and pick them up on the way back

Edited by onemorechang

2 hours ago, striderman said:

it was meant to leave bali hai yesterday at 08 30, it pulled out about 09 20 went round koh larn and came back.

today i watched it slip it's moorings at exactly 08 30 and the same thing happened.

i looked out at 09 27 and it was back at it's berth in bali hai

LOL

once again something Thailand can be truly proud of

wonder why BKK Post and Nation haven't yet reported anything today. Ah, loss of face, I forgot....

6 minutes ago, zorro1 said:

It was free wasn't it? Why wouldn't there be any thais.

Umm when it aint free.

Drowned locals are cheaper than tourists, saying that if it went down with 300 tourists on board iam sure the police will publicly state it was a mass suicide :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

42 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

LOL

once again something Thailand can be truly proud of

wonder why BKK Post and Nation haven't yet reported anything today. Ah, loss of face, I forgot....

See page 3 of BP. Service to resume on Thursday, according to them.

5 minutes ago, champers said:

See page 3 of BP. Service to resume on Thursday, according to them.

just read it, thanks for bringing it to my / our attention.

Can now warn my friend in HH that his planned trip to PTY tomorrow is going ZILCH

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Why so  worried?  The ferry was built in China to exacting Chinese standards. 

Actually you are wrong. It was built in Norway and sold to China many years ago . 

As a Norwegian I can only say we know how to build good quality vessels in my country. Norway used to be the world leaders in building ships.  

It should be doing ok in Pattaya even if its more than 20 years old. 

On 1/2/2017 at 11:26 PM, balo said:

Actually you are wrong. It was built in Norway and sold to China many years ago . 

As a Norwegian I can only say we know how to build good quality vessels in my country. Norway used to be the world leaders in building ships.  

True. Norway designs and builds some of the worlds most innovative, economical and safe vessels for commercial and passenger use.

However, this is definitely not one of them.

Looking at the design, it's similar to a Russian-built Volga river cruiser that we chartered one summer for accommodation while working in the eastern Caspian Sea. It wasn't built for seas above 1.5 m and was pulled off survey well before the bad weather set in. Reading other posts, this catamaran was apparently built in Norway so I would assume that it was originally a fjord cruiser. Since Norway's sea coastline mostly embraces the North Sea, there's no way this was running back and forth offshore. Then it probably did some nice river cruising in China. As this is the time of year for the most unsettled offshore conditions in the Gulf of Thailand, I reckon there will be some more delays to this service officially starting and the whole enterprise scrapped within one, very short 'summer' season... if it ever gets that far.

You do get some big waves off the coast of Norway and Sweden on that side. I live there during the summer and we take the cats out to Koster from the main land. They have a very high tunnel/deck clearance, v sturdy. Not sure what the clearance is on the Hua hin pattaya cats

77859651a4da691ecd6045f12aa1a2a5.jpg

On 1/2/2017 at 11:26 PM, balo said:

Agree with you fully balo...

Unless it's one the reverse engineered copies of the Norwegian vessel that the Chinese built.

On 1/2/2017 at 0:53 PM, marinediscoking said:

It was a sad day when the boat service stopped from Koh Kong to sihanoukville as that was much more pleasant and faster than the buses. 

The last couple of days have been some of the roughest seas I have seen in the bay. Most of the time it is as flat as lake so it showed good judgment to turn around. 

The day I did that trip it was a nightmare, very rough sea and the boat seemed to be one of those things built for very sheltered water. i.e. for going around Amsterdam or Paris. But you may have a point that this is very extreme weather and therefore sea conditions.