With Trump's victory, GOP hopes to overhaul Medicaid

webfact

1 minute ago, Usernames said:

Why not? Thailand has forced me to do so.  Germany forced me to do so.  And, as a foreign national, I can't collect anything from either country.

I don't know about Germany, but if you pay in to the program in Thailand, you certainly are allowed to collect.   In Thailand, it's medical benefits and a lot of foreigners who work here receive their medical through the gov't program.   Some even do not work, but continue to pay into the program to continue the benefit.  

4 minutes ago, Usernames said:

Why not? Thailand has forced me to do so.  Germany forced me to do so.  And, as a foreign national, I can't collect anything from either country.

As for Germany, if you are a U.S. or German citizen, your work does count towards benefits in either country.

https://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Pamphlets/germany.html

On 12/30/2016 at 8:24 AM, maewang99 said:

March 2017 looms.  a new debt ceiling above a cool 20 trillion US dollars.  the 2015 Bipartisan Budget deal expires in March and Medicaid spending is accelerating because of demographics, as inexorable as Co2 [ ha!!!! I got that in there.... unless the web police delete my post! ] 

Just let me ad the tweet from the Donald to all his friends and foes for the New Year. I can hardly wait for the fearless one take over the reins of power. Happy New Year one and all the clock just struck 12 midnight. 

Happy New Year to all, including to my many enemies and those who have fought me and lost so badly they just don't know what to do. Love!

Edited by elgordo38

3 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Just let me ad the tweet from the Donald to all his friends and foes for the New Year. I can hardly wait for the fearless one take over the reins of power. Happy New Year one and all the clock just struck 12 midnight. 

Happy New Year to all, including to my many enemies and those who have fought me and lost so badly they just don't know what to do. Love!

Yes, we really will have to endure this childishness for four years, or until he is impeached. A national embarassment.

5 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Magnanimous!

13 hours ago, Scott said:

I don't know about Germany, but if you pay in to the program in Thailand, you certainly are allowed to collect.   In Thailand, it's medical benefits and a lot of foreigners who work here receive their medical through the gov't program.   Some even do not work, but continue to pay into the program to continue the benefit.  

I've still got my pay stubs.  Each month, I paid into Thai Social Security. When I asked about benefits, I was told distinctly, No.  It would have only amounted to 500 or so per month anyway.  But it would have been nice to get something back.  But I'm not complaining, actually. As a foreigner, I just consider that another fee for working here, even if I did work for a Thai government entity.

Us Baby Boomers created a serious distortion in the population-age graph and are now the cause of the problems with SS, Medicare, and Medicaid. In thirty years we will be all gone but changes to the funding of these programs will stay. The younger generations better keep close watch on these changes or they will be working until they're dead or 75.

1 hour ago, riceyummm said:

Us Baby Boomers created a serious distortion in the population-age graph and are now the cause of the problems with SS, Medicare, and Medicaid. In thirty years we will be all gone but changes to the funding of these programs will stay. The younger generations better keep close watch on these changes or they will be working until they're dead or 75.

Not so. FICA rates were raised in the early 1980s to create a surplus in anticipation of rising numbers when boomers hit 65+, and declining wage earner rates. That surplus is, by law invested in US Treasury bonds which are held by the Trust Funds, just shy of 3 trillion dollars. (https://www.ssa.gov/policy/trust-funds-summary.html)

Of course, the proceeds from the sale of those Treasury bonds went into general funds and were used instead of raising taxes to pay expenditures over the years. So now, as boomers retire, the government has to retire some of those bonds to pay Social Security benefits, which would necessitate raising the revenues to do so elsewhere (i.e. raising taxes), and we all know where that is headed with Republicans in the drivers' seats.

2 hours ago, riceyummm said:

The main problem is the move in the Western World especially to only have 2 children which is neutral growth. We need 3 kids per family to keep it balanced. Cannot pay without a base

The topic is about Medicaid. Totally different than S. S. and Medicare. Expanded Medicaid was a core feature of Obamacare but right wing republicans successfully weakened that. Now they're out to trash it and they probably have the votes.

5 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Excellent. First step, is to require a residency requirement. No more paying the  medical care or benefits of those who are outside the USA unless on a job assignment. Cut off the  US nationals who  are not paying taxes in the USA. :ph34r:

This is about Medicaid.  Not Medicare.

23 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

This is about Medicaid.  Not Medicare.

And? Are you saying that there aren't a large number of US nationals of marginal incomes who are collecting under medicaid while they pass the time away outside the USA? Medicaid is state  administered and low income isn't the sole  eligibility requirement. So many people now have a "disability" that they can qualify.  Anyway, it will be fun to watch as  the elderly have their nursing home coverage cut and they are left to pickle in their urine and feces at unlicensed care facilities.  Better yet will be the opportunity to cut off care for children. What a great way to get more sex trade workers and to punish those stupid poor women for getting pregnant. It's not like they can abort these  additional poverty kids. I say bring it on. Lets get more beggers and marginalized people onto the streets. The more elderly  and  child beggers, the more it will feel like the 3rd world the USA  has become.

9 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

And? Are you saying that there aren't a large number of US nationals of marginal incomes who are collecting under medicaid while they pass the time away outside the USA? Medicaid is state  administered and low income isn't the sole  eligibility requirement. So many people now have a "disability" that they can qualify.  Anyway, it will be fun to watch as  the elderly have their nursing home coverage cut and they are left to pickle in their urine and feces at unlicensed care facilities.  Better yet will be the opportunity to cut off care for children. What a great way to get more sex trade workers and to punish those stupid poor women for getting pregnant. It's not like they can abort these  additional poverty kids. I say bring it on. Lets get more beggers and marginalized people onto the streets. The more elderly  and  child beggers, the more it will feel like the 3rd world the USA  has become.

Well, according to this from the government medicaid site  It does say "generally" but doesn't list exceptions.

"To be eligible for Medicaid, individuals must also meet certain non-financial eligibility criteria. Medicaid beneficiaries must generally be residents of the state in which they are receiving Medicaid. "

Are the elderly exempted somehow from residency requirements? Since it's state administered, I don't understand how but there must be some way of doing it, I guess. Anyway, thanks for the possible correction.

On December 31, 2016 at 0:17 PM, Gary A said:

Medicaid should not be part of Social Security. It belongs in the welfare category. Medicare and Social Security were paid for by working people who planned to collect money and medical care after they retire. Social Security will eventually go broke but welfare will NEVER go broke. Get rid of the corrupt leeches on benefits would also help a lot.

Social Security has supposedly being going broke since the early 70's. Not going to happen as it is very robust. It is Congress siphoning off money that is the problem, which started with Reagan, and they do not pay it back.....Why? Because they are not dependent on it when they retire as they have their snouts deep into the public trough.