Given up on the idea of living in Thailand

On 12/31/2016 at 9:30 AM, Caracena said:

looks like the immigration here only fines foreigners for not having a house registration and not submitting TM28. They are not interested to enforce any rules on the house owners.

If that is true, then there's an answer for the OP.

You have made some crazy assumptions on your own regarding report to the immigration, re entry etc. If you are more happy elsewhere then you better do that and come to Thailand with large money and spend it here.

Care to share which assumptions I've made that are "Crazy"?

AFAIK, (technically) a TM30 needs to be filed each time you re-enter the Kingdom... Not an assumption, it's a fact.

Whether it's filed by you, your wife, the landlord or not at all doesn't detract from the fact that (technically) it needs to be filed.

Thanks to some great advise on here, I'm feeling much more comfortable with that requirement than when I 1st (in a somewhat drunken state) started this thread.

Happy 2017 guys, may your beer be cold & your partner hot :)

3 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Some people find it easy,some can't handle the paperwork and call it a hassle.I find it easy and no probs at all,but a guess i am a glass half full type of bloke.Sure beats working for a living.

The problem seems to be the 'sudden' enforcement of the regulations.

There's no doubt that the requirement has been law for a long time but has never been enforced. So to find that on your next visit to immigration results in a fine for you living in your own home for the last 20 years is a shock.

Especially as it's as a result of immigration not doing their job properly in the first place!!

One reason for quitting Thailand (mine) is the simple fact that it has become ever more dangerous to live here.  You travel by bus, car, van and (God help you) motorcycle, you are dicing with death.  You walk places....being a pedestrian in towns and cities without sidewalks/pavements, you need always to be on the look out for drivers who are (as far as you can tell through the black glass) apparently consulting their cell phones.  As a pedestrian, walking under all those millions of bunched electricity wires, you wonder when you will be electrocuted.  (How do they ever distinguish one line from another??)

And firearms appear to be easier to come by here than in the Home of the Free.  And they are used indiscriminately.

So, no, I am quitting asap.

• Like 1

One reason for quitting Thailand (mine) is the simple fact that it has become ever more dangerous to live here.  You travel by bus, car, van and (God help you) motorcycle, you are dicing with death.  You walk places....being a pedestrian in towns and cities without sidewalks/pavements, you need always to be on the look out for drivers who are (as far as you can tell through the black glass) apparently consulting their cell phones.  As a pedestrian, walking under all those millions of bunched electricity wires, you wonder when you will be electrocuted.  (How do they ever distinguish one line from another??)
And firearms appear to be easier to come by here than in the Home of the Free.  And they are used indiscriminately.

They are not electrical wires with enough voltage to kill. Obviously

51 minutes ago, blazes said:

a few little wires bothering you?  you definitely would be better back in a nanny state......

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:45 PM, JB300 said:

Title says it all really, since moving to Singapore

One is not allowed to retire in Singapore.

Over 60 years of age you can stay 6 months in Singapore in any given calender year only.

I new someone who had been working most part of his life in Singapore, owned an apartment but when he retired it was out of here.

He did'nt know this rule and it was new for me too, so I left.

I hear you, OP. My last 2 landladies have been fined 800 THB each over this. When I will return to my rented condo for a few nights' stay, hell knows what the law requires. 

Q: Why can't they offer health insurance and perhaps deportation cost insurance and make the purchase of both compulsory? Then let folks buy their Visa at Immigration.

All these Visa runs to neighboring countries. Surely there would be a better way, benefiting Thailand?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JB300 said:

AFAIK, (technically) a TM30 needs to be filed each time you re-enter the Kingdom... Not an assumption, it's a fact.

Whether it's filed by you, your wife, the landlord or not at all doesn't detract from the fact that (technically) it needs to be filed.

Technically the TM30 needs filing each time you reach your destination, as in your permanent place of stay, not within 24 hours of entering Thailand.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned

They only know your date of arrival at your residence from the date entered on the TM30.

I always leave it 3/4 days to get over jet lag and get organised before I file a TM30, at my convenience, putting the relevant date on the form to comply with reporting within 24 hours.

Then never check your entry stamp or ask where you stayed in-between.

They appear grateful for just receiving the notification and having another good foreigner on their books who complies with the law.

Edited by dentonian

JB300:

one thing... a Thai retirement visa doesn't mean no Thai wife(s). most of us do have wives... ooops. at least one.

but just like with many things, but especially immigration stuff.... there's no one simple thing to it at all....

Singapore sounds right for you.... but it has nothing to do work permits or Thai retail bank accounts...... or money itself.  

Edited by maewang99

13 hours ago, jpinx said:

Any stories of anyone handing the Immigration officer the TM30 and TM28 at the same time as arriving?  Or maybe going to the immigration office or police office in the airport to hand them in?

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not possible.

Actually, a friend asked an immigration lawyer who informed herself and said that it was possible to hand in theTM-30 for update  at the immigration office in the airport.

So i tried ... but failed. The immigration officer which stamps the passport had no clue about the TM-30 slip I handed him, he thought it was a 90-day report. Ok I was expecting that. So I proceeded to the actual immigration office in Chiang Mai airport, which however was closed at the time. So I cannot say whether they would refuse to update a TM-30.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 1:25 AM, Rhys said:

YES it is a pain with all this paper work jazz and immigration and work permit people, making life interesting for westerners, simply because they can and will.

That's the deal and with deal with it the best way we can... but still enjoy.

Cheers mate

What westerners don't want is it getting any more difficult than it is now Rhys and by the looks of it in some area's it will.

6 hours ago, blazes said:

To each his own Blazes , after thirty six years, I now only use Thai as a holiday destination , the Thai family are investigating migration , something that they would never before , and for Aussies,  if you are well off ,Singapore is the place, two years now on arrival and I believe you don't need visa's for work or setting up a business.

• Like 2

Kasikorn bank is opening account if you have property or just agreement with developer to buy property or if just tell you need it to transfer money for retirement visa. 

For me they opened with  sales agreement with developer and for husband they opened account for retirement transfer but we got residential sertificate from immigration for bank. Really easy. 

Pattaya and Phuket. 

Edited by ST11
  • Like 1

JB300:

one thing... a Thai retirement visa doesn't mean no Thai wife(s). most of us do have wives... ooops. at least one.

but just like with many things, but especially immigration stuff.... there's no one simple thing to it at all....

Singapore sounds right for you.... but it has nothing to do work permits or Thai retail bank accounts...... or money itself.  

I think I know what you're getting at ;) you probably think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill and I can see how if you're settled in Thailand & rarely leave it's not even that.

Bit different when you travel a lot & after getting back from a 10+ hour slog to visit the gf in Kapalong (2 hrs north of Davao) having to traipse to immigration to tell them you're back at the place you told them you would be on the TM6, that's going to get old really fast.

As ive said, I love Singapore but wouldn't live here unless I was working (honestly don't think I could trust myself not to work if I was living here).

1 hour ago, JB300 said:

I think I know what you're getting at ;) you probably think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill and I can see how if you're settled in Thailand & rarely leave it's not even that.

Bit different when you travel a lot & after getting back from a 10+ hour slog to visit the gf in Kapalong (2 hrs north of Davao) having to traipse to immigration to tell them you're back at the place you told them you would be on the TM6, that's going to get old really fast.

As ive said, I love Singapore but wouldn't live here unless I was working (honestly don't think I could trust myself not to work if I was living here).

To be honest - the best solution for you is probably a compromise between a DIY retirement extension and an Elite visa.  That would mean finding a good, reliable agent who will do the running around for you when you text in your arrival, departure, etc, etc.  It's not rocket science to compare the 5 year Elite visa with 5 years of a good agent  ;)  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dentonian said:

They only know your date of arrival at your residence from the date entered on the TM30.

I always leave it 3/4 days to get over jet lag and get organised before I file a TM30, at my convenience, putting the relevant date on the form to comply with reporting within 24 hours.

Sounds good.  Can you submit the TM30 by registered mail instead of in person?  I think this may have been mentioned in an earlier post but I'm having trouble finding it.

Edited by TerraplaneGuy
text omitted
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Sounds good.  Can you submit the TM30 by registered mail instead of in person?  I think this may have been mentioned in an earlier post but I'm having trouble finding it.

If they accept submission  by mail, and the TM28 also, that would be a major boost to convenience. ;)  I hope we hear more about this....

22 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

The only caveat would be the different immigration offices doing things slightly differently..

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

JB300's  comments/views are accurate and really they are unassailable. A person of his position and circumstance is not well treated by the rules and this is  a major weakness of the current system. This is the ideal person for Thailand; Not a full time resident, financially secure and independent. Yet, the rules intended to keep the undesirables from streaming in, don't, and instead discourage  the  ideal ongoing temporary resident from staying. What many critics here don't comprehend is that people in the OP's position don't have to put up with the  bureaucratic nonsense or aggravation.  90 day reports and other time wasting activities are  acceptable to retirees and floaters because they have nothing else to do. That isn't  intended as an insult, but if one is working, or  is otherwise occupied, the reporting and paperwork is an inefficient and wasteful process.  The worst part of it, is that it is almost all for nothing. The immigration IT system is so  useless and poorly managed, that real time  updating  and accuracy of data is suspect. One need only look at the inability to track and monitor convicted foreign criminals who go in and out of the country at will. The current system favours the bad guys and discourages the good guys.

From personal experience, I believe you seriously underestimate Immigration's ability to track foreigners. Myself and my lawyer were told a man for whom a warrant had been issued had managed to fly out of the country three weeks prior to our enquiry. When asked how this was possible, given the warrant, we were told to shhhh, 'someone must have been paid to ignore it'. Given the notoriety of endemic corruption here, you think this was a one off? They can find you, know every infraction no matter how small going back years, it's simply they are paid off.

Edited by dageurreotype

Unfortunately, Caracena is right, and Dentonian is wrong. I did my Notification of residence within the required 24 hours at Jomtien immigration last week. I did it after hearing of many people who had been fined up to 5000 baht for not notifying. I was told there that I had done the right thing, that the rule was now being followed, and that if I hadn't done it, my demand of extension in two months time would be refused !  I said I would be going to Koh Chang, and Bangkok, and they said that when I come back to Jomtien I must do the whole thing again. Even if I have not changed address ! I don't know if this rule is being observed in every immigration, but I've heard since of many people being fined.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, geisha said:

Unfortunately, Caracena is right, and Dentonian is wrong. I did my Notification of residence within the required 24 hours at Jomtien immigration last week. I did it after hearing of many people who had been fined up to 5000 baht for not notifying. I was told there that I had done the right thing, that the rule was now being followed, and that if I hadn't done it, my demand of extension in two months time would be refused !  I said I would be going to Koh Chang, and Bangkok, and they said that when I come back to Jomtien I must do the whole thing again. Even if I have not changed address ! I don't know if this rule is being observed in every immigration, but I've heard since of many people being fined.

Jomtien office does it, others may not.  ;);)   Which form did you lodge? TM28 or TM30 (or both)?  Accurate information helps UJ build up a good picture of what is happening and helps him help others. 

On 31/12/2016 at 1:12 AM, tazly said:

OP look at the bright side...you can chew gum in Thailand and not be caned like in Singa-poo, so all that paperwork must be worth it!

Oh yes, and no haze every year for 5 months from Sumatran bog fires like in Sing

And this/next year you'll be able to grow your own dope (in the north) and not get hung for it!!! As they say "everything is "fine" in Singapore, fine for chewing gum, fine for playing cards, fine for J walking!"  :shock1::smile:

They said it had nothing to do with the address you put on your arrival card. Every time you leave, even in Thailand, you must notify again once you are back to your address. This is not scare mongering, it is warning people they may have their extension refused  if not carried out.