Given up on the idea of living in Thailand

8 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Plus of course with some embassies you can tell a pack of bare-faced lies because that's all they're certifying - that you told them, not that it's true

That's between the person and their embassy.  Some embassies need full bank statements showing the income.  I think if the Thai immigration people thought there was a serious problem about false declarations they'd tighten up on it very quickly.  I have a vague memory of someone saying that their immigration office wanted to see bank statements to back up the embassy letter.  At the end of the day - it's the immigration officer processing your application who decides, so be nice to him/her and don't look or smell like an unwashed hippie. :)

Edited by jpinx

10 minutes ago, jpinx said:

That's between the person and their embassy.  Some embassies need full bank statements showing the income.  I think if the Thai immigration people thought there was a serious problem about false declarations they'd tighten up on it very quickly.  I have a vague memory of someone saying that their immigration office wanted to see bank statements to back up the embassy letter.  At the end of the day - it's the immigration officer processing your application who decides, so be nice to him/her and don't look or smell like an unwashed hippie. :)

Not of course that I'm advocating any such thing (heaven forbid) but it's easy enough to dress up a passbook showing 65K deposits over a few months

I have a question on this. I have never filed any TM28 or 30 or whatever form is required. I have left the country about 10 times this past year plus been on numerous travel staying at hotels in Thailand.  I have a non O visa with numerous extensions of stay.

I have to file a 90 day report or do a border run in January and to renew my extension of stay in March. 

How much am I likely to be fined by Nakhon Ratchasima immigration for 10 repeat offences?

Am I better off doing a border run instead of a ninety day report?

2 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Not of course that I'm advocating any such thing (heaven forbid) but it's easy enough to dress up a passbook showing 65K deposits over a few months

TBH I don't remember what time period they look back.  I provide a year anyway, but I daresay each Immigration Office will have it's own ideas -- as usual. ;)

8 minutes ago, retarius said:

I have a question on this. I have never filed any TM28 or 30 or whatever form is required. I have left the country about 10 times this past year plus been on numerous travel staying at hotels in Thailand.  I have a non O visa with numerous extensions of stay.

I have to file a 90 day report or do a border run in January and to renew my extension of stay in March. 

How much am I likely to be fined by Nakhon Ratchasima immigration for 10 repeat offences?

•  

Filing the 90-day is pretty strictly enforced but is easy to do personally, by post, or online.  TM30's are for the "housemaster" to do. TM28's are for any changes in your place of residence and is only needed if it's a change from the address you put on your arrival card.  There seems to be the usual variance of application of this requirement around the different immigration offices.

1 minute ago, jpinx said:

Filing the 90-day is pretty strictly enforced but is easy to do personally, by post, or online.  TM30's are for the "housemaster" to do. TM28's are for any changes in your place of residence and is only needed if it's a change from the address you put on your arrival card.  There seems to be the usual variance of application of this requirement around the different immigration offices.

Thanks. Do you have any idea what the policy is in Korat?

There is no problem opening a bank account here. I have two.  I opened both as a tourist I do not report back to immigration when I come and go. I am residing at my permanent residence so I do not consider it necessary..  I inform my Condo manager who might report to immigration is some way.  I never had any of the hassles you described.    Any visa  company could have sorted all your issues out for a small fee and can expedite the matter in days.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, retarius said:

Thanks. Do you have any idea what the policy is in Korat?

Sorry, I have no idea  -- I will leave that for others with personal experience to reply

6 minutes ago, The manic said:

There is no problem opening a bank account here. I have two.  I opened both as a tourist I do not report back to immigration when I come and go. I am residing at my permanent residence so I do not consider it necessary..  I inform my Condo manager who might report to immigration is some way.  I never had any of the hassles you described.    Any visa  company could have sorted all your issues out for a small fee and can expedite the matter in days.  

Opening a bank account is sometimes problematic, as has been reported in here many times. Experience varies wildly, but the general advice is not to get upset, just walk into the bank next door and try again. 

They want us here. I know it is odd. But, I hear Western countries are stricter for Thais going abroad to visit! No one complains about this on TV? It could be a tit for tat, losing-face, or trying to mimic the West. How many Thais cannot even go to the West? How many forms do they need to fill?

The banks do like us. At 800 K on a savings account for 3 months guaranteed, this is good bank business. Follow the money too.

We are spending good money to live here. Rimping is loving us. 

Odd to hear that the OP could not retire using his pension.

We are not insignificant.

Again, though being nowhere near what I would call "Rich" the retirement financial requirements are not a problem for me... what is a problem is if I buy a Condo, travel on a monthly basis out of Thailand & have to report to immigration every time I come back to file a TM30.

So again, I'd love to know whether #Officially# completing a TM6 negates the need for completing a TM30.

11 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Again, though being nowhere near what I would call "Rich" the retirement financial requirements are not a problem for me... what is a problem is if I buy a Condo, travel on a monthly basis out of Thailand & have to report to immigration every time I come back to file a TM30.

So again, I'd love to know whether #Officially# completing a TM6 negates the need for completing a TM30.

Read the forms...

icon_doc.gificon_pdf.gif Form for Aliens to Notify Their Change of Address or Their Stay in the Province over 24 Hours (TM.28)
icon_doc.gificon_pdf.gif Notification Form for House Master, Owner, or the Possessor of The Residence Where Aliens Have Stay (TM.30)

Lots of people don't use them and don't get problems.  You need to know what your specific immigration office wants. 

Buying a condo will make you the "housemaster" as well as the "tenant".

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Sorry, I have no idea  -- I will leave that for others with personal experience to reply

Opening a bank account is sometimes problematic, as has been reported in here many times. Experience varies wildly, but the general advice is not to get upset, just walk into the bank next door and try again. 

Haven't had any problem doing so myself, but then rules are never written in stone here, as people have commented. It depends who is at the helm as well. One wonders if THEY do it intentionally. IS THERE not AN OFFICIAL WEBSITE WHERE ALL THIS INFO IS WRITTEN IN BLACK AND WHITE, WHERE ALL OF THIS IS ADDRESSED IN A TIMELY FASHION BY IMMIGRATION OFFICIALS? (But I bet there are rules against caps? LOL)

10 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Read the forms...

icon_doc.gificon_pdf.gif Form for Aliens to Notify Their Change of Address or Their Stay in the Province over 24 Hours (TM.28)
icon_doc.gificon_pdf.gif Notification Form for House Master, Owner, or the Possessor of The Residence Where Aliens Have Stay (TM.30)

Lots of people don't use them and don't get problems.  You need to know what your specific immigration office wants. 

Buying a condo will make you the "housemaster" as well as the "tenant".

So, information is available, but then individual offices put their own spin on things. How is this allowed to happen? I don't mind military rules, but this is not quite optimized. It looks like there are too many chefs in the kitchen or not enough.

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

On 30/12/2016 at 9:00 AM, A1Str8 said:

The reason it is not easy is because they would rather have foreigners.. Come on holiday and live elsewhere, like you said. 

It's still easy nonetheless. 

I believe that's ideal. I often wonder whether the Farangs really like Thailand so much that they want to spend the rest of their lives living there.

May be these are the reasons - (1) Cheap, cost of living (2) Women plenty (for those single or divorce). (3) Already a small community of Farang in many town and villages you could contact. (4) of course good foods and good weather (5) No natural disaster like earthquake or Tornado.

A rather unpleasant question here if you don't mind answering, How many Farangs get STD in Thailand? Not talking about HIV. Just normal STD, e.g. Herpes, Gonorhrea , Cold sores, Pubic Lices. Hepatitis B from body fluid interchange.

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Until 2 years ago the requirement to file a TM28 (change of address) or a TM30 according to the Immigration Act was rarely enforced.

Since the 'Good Guys In, Bad Guys Out' policy was adopted by Immigration there has been a crackdown on enforcing the law.

A few Immigration offices have gone overboard with their policies.

Most, including Korat only require a TM28 filing if you change to a new permanent residence. They already have your current address on file through your extension applications, so no need to do anything in this respect.

Almost all offices though are enforcing the requirement for a new TM30 to be filed (Notification from the House Master, Owner or Possessor of the Residence where an Alien has Stayed) when an alien has exited then re-entered and taken up residence again.

Under section 4 of the Immigration Act;

“ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

I am single, rent, but have always filed a new TM30 myself as the tenant when required, supplying copies of my landlords Tabien Baan and ID card.

Edited by dentonian
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, madusa said:

A rather unpleasant question here if you don't mind answering, How many Farangs get STD in Thailand? Not talking about HIV. Just normal STD, e.g. Herpes, Gonorhrea , Cold sores, Pubic Lices. Hepatitis B from body fluid interchange.

Where and why would such statistics be collected? Does your home country government collect such data on non-citizens and make it generally available?

15 minutes ago, Mansell said:

The nice thing about renting is it is somebody else's problem. I go out of the country and never bother to tell the landlord I have left or returned. So the whole thing is pretty much a nonissue. As for 90 day reports in Phuket takes ten minutes, and seven of that is waiting in line. Others mail it in or do it online. The biggest hassle with Thailand is probably having a Thai wife....but I am happy with that even. Life is good. Welcome 2017.

No it isn't. As the tenant you could be held responsible and fined.

10 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Almost all offices though are enforcing the requirement for a new TM30 to be filed (Notification from the House Master, Owner or Possessor of the Residence where an Alien has Stayed) when an alien has exited then re-entered and taken up residence again.

I rent from the building manager of a very large condo complex in central Bangkok. I never advise my comings and goings and I'd be very surprised if they lodge anything with Immigration. I simply include a copy of my lease when I make my annual pilgrimage to Immigration and have never encountered a problem

On 12/31/2016 at 0:11 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

You can get a multi entry on a retirement visa, I got one, so not reporting to immigration but fly out/in as I pleases. 

I have 4 bank accounts here in Thailand in 3 different banks and never had a work permit.

You seems well off, you can easily live here, IF you want.

Why would anyone who is well off want to live in Thailand? Those with money can go to places without visa hoops, better infrastructure, service and facilities, freedom of speech, right to own land, less or no corruption....

I'm married and have been living in Thailand for nearly 25 years, but if something happened I'd be gone in a heartbeat. Living in a lunatic asylum is tough sometimes.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2017 at 3:24 AM, SaintLouisBlues said:

Where and why would such statistics be collected? Does your home country government collect such data on non-citizens and make it generally available?

Yes, in fact the government in my country is very particular and they do keep a good record of local citizens who had STD and foreigners who had STD (those who seek medical treatment are recorded). You could request for the statistic from the government department if you have good reason to do so they give you the info.

The private clinic and hospitals in my country must send the STD records every month to the government department where they are kept. It is a by-law so they are obliged to keep the government informed of the situation whether they want or not. By law refers to the law passed by all the local councils and are binding in the districts concerned.

1 minute ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

I rent from the building manager of a very large condo complex in central Bangkok. I never advise my comings and goings and I'd be very surprised if they lodge anything with Immigration. I simply include a copy of my lease when I make my annual pilgrimage to Immigration and have never encountered a problem

In your case the building management should make the notifications and you wouldn't even know!

On 12/31/2016 at 7:35 AM, JB300 said:

Unfortunately UK only seems to grant Non-O "Retirement" visas to people receiving a pension, Singapore only grants them to Citizens & SPRs & any every other country seems to want money in the bank in Thailand (be happy to learn of one that doesn't).

But as I said (Probably slurred would be a better term) I can get around that & can handle the odd 90 day report, but can't get my head around the TM28 reporting each time you come back to the country.

I'm guessing most people either don't travel outside of Thailand very much, or leave it to their landlord to do (do you tell your landlord everytime you go away?) or simply don't bother with it.

Part of what you said is that every country has 'red tape' on this subject. And the 'red tape' has different flavors because every country has long-term historical incidents, and has different cultural attitudes and concerns, etc., in regard to this subject.

Folks have mentioned many times that other countries have worse 'red tape'.

Edited by scorecard

12 minutes ago, madusa said:

Yes, in fact the government in my country is very particular and they do keep a good record of local citizens who had STD and foreigners who had STD (those who seek medical treatment are recorded). You could request for the statistic from the government department if you have good reason to do so they give you the info.

The private clinic and hospitals in my country must send the STD records every month to the government department where they are kept. It is a by-law so they are obliged to keep the government informed of the situation whether they want or not. By law refers to the law passed by all the local councils and are binding in the districts concerned.

And you think that's also true of all the clinics in Thailand who promise anonymous testing?

4 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

From discussions with other farang residents, they don't

Then you can discuss who pays the fine with Immigration if they find you left and re-entered without a new TM30 being filed.

That is if Bangkok enforce the law!

Why would anyone who is well off want to live in Thailand? Those with money can go to places without visa hoops, better infrastructure, service and facilities, freedom of speech, right to own land, less or no corruption....

I'm married and have been living in Thailand for nearly 25 years, but if something happened I'd be gone in a heartbeat. Living in a lunatic asylum is tough sometimes.

Simply put, I want to stay in the Region (have a Filipina gf of nearly 7 years who doesn't want to leave Singapore/Philippines) & want to be close to a decent airport hub where I can easily fly to where I want.

Doesn't hurt that the weather is great, love Thai (spicy) food & the women don't offend my eye [emoji5]

Seriously, if it wasn't for my better half I'd probably chance my arm in South America for a few years but to do that while I'm with her involves getting married, her a UK passport (min 5 years) so I figure I'll just visit on holiday [emoji4]

• Like 1