Given up on the idea of living in Thailand

26 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why would anyone who is well off want to live in Thailand?

to finance an extremely comfortable lifestyle using a part of the income he would otherwise pay to the greedy taxman of his home country or most other countries with top "infrastructure".  :coffee1:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Naam said:

to finance an extremely comfortable lifestyle using a part of the income he would otherwise pay to the greedy taxman of his home country or most other countries with top "infrastructure".  :coffee1:

Yes, all those law-abiding policemen and decent public health, clean water and effective wastewater and waste disposal, roads. The list of the services and infrastructure that needs funding from taxes is truly appalling and he's well out of it

Edited by SaintLouisBlues

On 12/31/2016 at 1:32 PM, JB300 said:

The link I posted (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/960761-Notification-of-residence-fine%2E-Popular-thing-%3F) was a guy in Phuket who received a 5,000THB fine for not reporting his address (own condo) when he got back from a trip (obviously he would have completed a TM6 when he arrived) & a few other people (same thread) have said the same happen to them in CM & HH.

The idea would be to live within 1-2hr drive of Swampy though I tried an experimental month (long story, took 2015 off when my previous employee tried to move me back to the UK & went travelling) living in Central Bangkok (Soi 13) & lasted 10 days so it would be some ways out of city center.

Not really.You get out of airport and go to hotel,relax a few days.Then you go to where ever you are gunna be permanent.Say you arrive 5pm Monday,well you have 5pm Tuesday to go to Immi.I have found they are pretty lenient.

Why pay all that money when you don't have to.100k baht compared to about 5k.

Actually a 1Million THB TE visa over 20 years works out to less than 4,200 pm (50k pa)

Add in the fast track immigration (took 1 1/2 hours to get through on my last visit Dec 23rd) & it's even more attractive

But if you just want to live in Thailand & only leave 0-1 times a year then I can understand why it doesn't make as much sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Not really.You get out of airport and go to hotel,relax a few days.Then you go to where ever you are gunna be permanent.Say you arrive 5pm Monday,well you have 5pm Tuesday to go to Immi.I have found they are pretty lenient.

Any stories of anyone handing the Immigration officer the TM30 and TM28 at the same time as arriving?  Or maybe going to the immigration office or police office in the airport to hand them in?

• Like 1

On 12/31/2016 at 2:30 PM, daveAustin said:

I'm hear you op, it can be a major headache compared with more 'normal' places like Singapore who are a bit more switched on. Of course, it can be done, but one is forever jumping through hoops or having to quickly adapt to new rules etc. Sometimes, it just ain't worth the hassle. Someone already said it; at the end of the day they'd rather just the tourists in than full time foreigners. Heard as much direct from the horse's mouth - lieutenant of CM Imm several years ago - basically asking when I will be going back to my own country... and had a good relationship with her, polite all round. Loved up folk who are all-in here just don't see it or are possibly in denial. It does have its pluses, of course, fantastic place, but sometimes it is just a hassle.

Some people find it easy,some can't handle the paperwork and call it a hassle.I find it easy and no probs at all,but a guess i am a glass half full type of bloke.Sure beats working for a living.

3 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Any stories of anyone handing the Immigration officer the TM30 and TM28 at the same time as arriving?  Or maybe going to the immigration office or police office in the airport to hand them in?

That is not possible.

On Friday, December 30, 2016 at 5:11 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

You can get a multi entry on a retirement visa, I got one, so not reporting to immigration but fly out/in as I pleases. 

I have 4 bank accounts here in Thailand in 3 different banks and never had a work permit.

You seems well off, you can easily live here, IF you want.

Is it worth the bother.

For me it wasnt.

A rough divorce horrible life a missfit in your home country fat ugly old.

look at whats available in Thailand.

I am lucky I was through all of the above.well not them all.

To be a free spirit and move around is better than be in a country where you are marked as an income for everyone and anyone.

It wasnt the place for me after 17 years Property business cars bikes wifes girls by the dozen.

Its a holiday destination pay as you go.

I will holiday again when theres a bit more value for money.

I probably have more money than a lot of guys 

I certainly have more funds at this moment than I ever had before.

for me Thailands not worth it Jan. 2017.

Sad but true.

• Like 1

You just walk straight into the Fast Track area. I've never been stopped. No queues and through in 10 minutes or less

Often use budget carriers because of the times I need/want to fly so it's the cattle queue I'm afraid [emoji17]

Some people find it easy,some can't handle the paperwork and call it a hassle.I find it easy and no probs at all,but a guess i am a glass half full type of bloke.Sure beats working for a living.

No problem with the paperwork, it's the physically needing to go into the office (possibly after 17-24 hours travelling) that I call a hassle

Again, this isn't about living in Thailand (if I was happy to never leave it's a doddle) this is about using it as a base to travel from.

I guess that's an example of "you get what you pay for"

Nothing to do with Money... If my last meeting on a Friday finishes at 5:30pm, I want to be on a 7pm flight & will pick the best seat I can get on a flight closest to that time.

But again, big difference if you're just "popping" to Thailand ( 2 1/2 flight) Vs it being your "holiday".

6 minutes ago, JB300 said:

No problem with the paperwork, it's the physically needing to go into the office (possibly after 17-24 hours travelling) that I call a hassle

Again, this isn't about living in Thailand (if I was happy to never leave it's a doddle) this is about using it as a base to travel from.

Anyone can lodge the forms, you can arrange that with friends or someone you trust, just leave them a stack of presigned ones that only need dating maybe?   You can get agents who will do everything for a fee.  I agree about the hassle factor if you have some distance to go to the immigration office.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Must be filed with the local Immigration where you residing.

I have moved twice. Filed TM28 and TM30 as the tenant together both times.

Not so much as an eyebrow raised by the IO's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Haven't had any problem doing so myself, but then rules are never written in stone here, as people have commented. It depends who is at the helm as well. One wonders if THEY do it intentionally. IS THERE not AN OFFICIAL WEBSITE WHERE ALL THIS INFO IS WRITTEN IN BLACK AND WHITE, WHERE ALL OF THIS IS ADDRESSED IN A TIMELY FASHION BY IMMIGRATION OFFICIALS? (But I bet there are rules against caps? LOL)

Thailand Immigration Act.

Section 37 deals with the requirement for foreigners to address report.

Section 38 deals with the requirement for the 'Housemaster' to report an alien at a residency.

Section 4 defines who can be regarded as 'Housemaster'

Sections 75, 76, and 77 detail the fines for non compliance of sections 37 and 38.

Thai Immigration Act 2522en-immigration.pdf

Edited by dentonian
  • Like 2

Whith all respect to you,

See a lot of things in the story that indicates it is better just be a tourist and enjoy your life somewhere else.

Thailabd not suites with the way you want to live and just enjoy it as a tourist.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Autonuaq said:

Whith all respect to you,

See a lot of things in the story that indicates it is better just be a tourist and enjoy your life somewhere else.

Thailabd not suites with the way you want to live and just enjoy it as a tourist.

There's just as much hassle as a tourist  ;)  For the long-termer, once the extension is set up, there is only the annual year renewal to do.  As a tourist the most you can get is 3 months, then you have to get a new visa or start an extension, border-run game, or whatever will work, but for sure it's a lot of hassle.

3 hours ago, jpinx said:

That's between the person and their embassy.  Some embassies need full bank statements showing the income.  I think if the Thai immigration people thought there was a serious problem about false declarations they'd tighten up on it very quickly.  I have a vague memory of someone saying that their immigration office wanted to see bank statements to back up the embassy letter.  At the end of the day - it's the immigration officer processing your application who decides, so be nice to him/her and don't look or smell like an unwashed hippie. :)

I always dress well and am polite when I go to the USA embassy or Immigration at Cheng Watena . For last 4 years I have brought print out of my annuity from US Government web site  to prove what I get but US Embassy staff always push it back to me saying " we don't need to see that"  I keep it anyway just in case Thai immigration asks for proof.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2016 at 11:49 AM, dentonian said:

The website is vague.

Who over 50 but under 65 for example would be receiving a State Pension?

They accept any form of income or proof of funds in a UK bank.

Personally I had to show the equivalent of 200,000THB in my UK account (3 month Visa duration) £4,000 approx.

Don't believe everything you read.....proof below.Non Imm O SE Visa.jpg

Employment Prohibited....

3 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

Employment Prohibited....

They do know the difference between investment income, pensions, and salaries.  The work that is prohibited is work within Thailand -- see the labour laws for more clarification.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why would anyone who is well off want to live in Thailand? Those with money can go to places without visa hoops, better infrastructure, service and facilities, freedom of speech, right to own land, less or no corruption....

I'm married and have been living in Thailand for nearly 25 years, but if something happened I'd be gone in a heartbeat. Living in a lunatic asylum is tough sometimes.

If you don't like Thailand why didn't you take your wife and move somewhere you like ,maybe your home country rather than live unhappily here for 25 years?

On 31/12/2016 at 0:18 AM, steve187 said:

you do whats best for you, but to say its all because of tm28, what a load of rubbish, most people never complete one, some posters are going overboard with their scaremongering views on the subject.

My thoughts exactly.

Because I am not selfish enough to demand that she move away from her family that live a few kilometres from us. And that is what pisses me off when people come out with 'If you don't like it here go back to your own country'. Isn't as simple as that. I have a far better house than I'd be able to afford back home. Even more English Premier League football than would be available back there, come to that. I'm not saying it's all bad, but there is so much in Thailand that is off the scale stupid. Sometimes to have to count to 10. Or 100.

Same with my Filipina (which is why we/she has a house in Kapalong (Mindano)), but she knows as much as I love the Philippines, I love to travel & it's a PiTA from there... (Plus the food is pants).

• Like 1