Given up on the idea of living in Thailand

Are budget carrier passengers barred from the fast track lane?

I assumed the bm I was replying to was referring to Business Class Fast Track, if you are eligible for any other reasons (TE, APEC card or just paid for it) then it doesn't matter what class or who you flew with

I had planned to retire in CM but with all the hassles with visas etc - especially, it seems in CM immigration  I am starting to have serious doubts. The whole set up seems to have gotten a good deal more difficult in the last years and if it keeps deteriorating I would ask myself if it was worth the effort.  This is a shame as I really looked forward to living in CM.  I know the city well, speak and read enough Thai to get about with no problems.  I also have quite a lot of friends in CM - not all expats. I am leaving for Vietnam in a few days to start checking out the possibilities of living there, at least for a few years.  So I, at least, am having second thoughts about living in Thailand.  The main reason for moving to CM would be that we really like it  and I have a lot of things to do to fill my day there.  Can Vietnam do the same?  I guess I will have to find out.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2016 at 7:35 AM, JB300 said:

Unfortunately UK only seems to grant Non-O "Retirement" visas to people receiving a pension, Singapore only grants them to Citizens & SPRs & any every other country seems to want money in the bank in Thailand (be happy to learn of one that doesn't).

But as I said (Probably slurred would be a better term) I can get around that & can handle the odd 90 day report, but can't get my head around the TM28 reporting each time you come back to the country.

I'm guessing most people either don't travel outside of Thailand very much, or leave it to their landlord to do (do you tell your landlord everytime you go away?) or simply don't bother with it.

8 year in Bangkok never once had to deal with a TM28 or anything like it.     I leave Thailand (by air) every 60 - 90 days.    I doubt very much my landlord does it as I've not seen her in 4 years.

Getting a bank account in Bangkok is easy.   I got mine with Kasikorn on just a tourist visa.  

Lots of advice on specific banks and branches that will do it on this thread  https://www.facebook.com/groups/bkexpats.kc/permalink/1602706859756563/?comment_id=1603094753051107&notif_t=group_comment_reply&notif_id=1482400515052058&hc_location=ufi

Good luck

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Sounds good.  Can you submit the TM30 by registered mail instead of in person?  I think this may have been mentioned in an earlier post but I'm having trouble finding it.

Yes you can, but check with your office first.

My old office used to require copies of my Passport, current Visa/Extension, TM6, and landlords Tabien Baan and ID card.

This was simply because some TM30's they received were illegible.

Now they've opened a new office 300 metres from my home...........happy days!

Easier to get the non O before you go Thailand, it is a little harder to get these now because they are trying to stop scroungers who go with little funds and do drug dealing to fund their stay ... bit easier if you're married to a Thai national, in the UK we have to show 3 months UK bank statements to show you have regular money going in from a job or other means,  to me thats pointless because if youre going to live there you will leave your job anyway. Once you have the multi entry non O and are in Thailand you need to have 800k Thai baht in an account for 3 months before you can apply for the more perm visa, however there are ways round the 3 months and the money through some visa agents, as always  not what you know its who you know ... if you are married to a Thai national you can apply for a marriage visa and you need to have 400k Thai baht in a sole account, can't be a joint account! Your spouse can also sponsor you to get a Thai bank account .. important to note is that Pattaya tends and often does have different rules to the rest of Thailand ... i didnt have any problems in Petchabun and always remember the majority of ex pats will know a way round things or they know somebody who can!! Rules change in Thailand often and the above is meant as a guide only.

Easier to get the non O before you go Thailand, it is a little harder to get these now because they are trying to stop scroungers who go with little funds and do drug dealing to fund their stay ... bit easier if you're married to a Thai national, in the UK we have to show 3 months UK bank statements to show you have regular money going in from a job or other means,  to me thats pointless because if youre going to live there you will leave your job anyway. Once you have the multi entry non O and are in Thailand you need to have 800k Thai baht in an account for 3 months before you can apply for the more perm visa, however there are ways round the 3 months and the money through some visa agents, as always  not what you know its who you know ... if you are married to a Thai national you can apply for a marriage visa and you need to have 400k Thai baht in a sole account, can't be a joint account! Your spouse can also sponsor you to get a Thai bank account .. important to note is that Pattaya tends and often does have different rules to the rest of Thailand ... i didnt have any problems in Petchabun and always remember the majority of ex pats will know a way round things or they know somebody who can!! Rules change in Thailand often and the above is meant as a guide only.

[no offence but have you read/understood the original point]

How to get a Non-O without money in a Thai Bank?

Oh & you're talking bolox about getting one in the UK...

On 01/01/2017 at 3:41 PM, possum1931 said:

I don't trust Thailand enough to put 800.000Bt in my bank account. I would rather leave it in my own countrys bank.

So why should Thailand trust you to live here, other than as a tourist? As I understand it a retirement extension indicates an intention to retire here.

Daft not to have some money in the currency of the country where you intend to remain - as we Brits found out last year, when all the money we left behind in our 'safe', 'own country' fell by roughly 15% and shows no sign of recovering.

• Like 2

Damn I was on one last night...

Apologies for my previous response to your post, you're quite right in what you say, it's just as a Brit working & living in Singapore it's not as straight forward as it would be if I was still living in the UK so despite being in a much better position to make the move now, it's harder to do so

But I will get there :)

On 01/01/2017 at 3:49 PM, ubonjoe said:

Not sure he has a visa. It sounds like he may have an extension of stay based upon retirement with multiple re-entry permit. The reporting he would be avoiding is 90 day reports.

Penang is the only place that has been confirmed as issuing a multiple entry non-o visa for retirement if you show the same financial proof as needed for an extension.

Sorry I did not find your reply sooner,but many thanks for it Joe. I had planned on Savanakhet but wasn't very sure. I do know that I'd NOT try here in Phanom phen Cambodia. I called the other day re tourist visas and they want an ownward ticket by air,which I've always known to be wrong. I've thought Penang,as it's visa free entry also. Do you suggest I use an agent,if so,who? Currently I just have my embassy approved income paperwork. Looking forward to your always valuable advice Joe. Thanks. 

6 hours ago, jimlek said:

Sorry I did not find your reply sooner,but many thanks for it Joe. I had planned on Savanakhet but wasn't very sure. I do know that I'd NOT try here in Phanom phen Cambodia. I called the other day re tourist visas and they want an ownward ticket by air,which I've always known to be wrong. I've thought Penang,as it's visa free entry also. Do you suggest I use an agent,if so,who? Currently I just have my embassy approved income paperwork. Looking forward to your always valuable advice Joe. Thanks. 

If you have the financial proof of 65k baht  per month it would be best to get a single entry non-o visa and apply for a one year extension.

You can apply for a multiple entry non-o visa in Penang but will need to show the same proof of income. A agent would help. Many people use Jims place.